Hello Guest March 28, 2024, 11:58:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Radio Chatter  (Read 9273 times)

johnpe

• Forum member
Radio Chatter
« on: April 23, 2013, 15:45:51 »

......can't hear any.

I have DVD version patched,according to box,to version 1.4.2 and from the very first I installed it until this day have never heard a single word of radio chatter.Infact,until about a month ago when browsing this forum I didn't even realise that there was any chatter whether it be the default or the Solent addon which I then promptly installed.

Can hear all other sounds, have ensured that radio slider is all the way across to the right and know that chatter can only be heard when camera is in helm view but absolutely nothing heard.Also know that,with the addon, the desired sound pack has to selected before starting the game. Have played separately via Windows Media Player so know that the sounds are there in my Shipsim2008 folder so am at a loss to understand why they don't play when the game is running.

One thing I have noticed is that when a sound pack is selected e.g Solent General...the addon seems to almost go through a second install and am wondering if this may be a factor but,having said that, I never heard anything from the default chatter even before installing the addon.

Has anybody had a similar experience and/or able to suggest a solution please.

KamourLaska

• Forum member
Re: Radio Chatter
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 23:58:36 »

......can't hear any.

I have DVD version patched,according to box,to version 1.4.2 and from the very first I installed it until this day have never heard a single word of radio chatter.Infact,until about a month ago when browsing this forum I didn't even realise that there was any chatter whether it be the default or the Solent addon which I then promptly installed.

Can hear all other sounds, have ensured that radio slider is all the way across to the right and know that chatter can only be heard when camera is in helm view but absolutely nothing heard.Also know that,with the addon, the desired sound pack has to selected before starting the game. Have played separately via Windows Media Player so know that the sounds are there in my Shipsim2008 folder so am at a loss to understand why they don't play when the game is running.

One thing I have noticed is that when a sound pack is selected e.g Solent General...the addon seems to almost go through a second install and am wondering if this may be a factor but,having said that, I never heard anything from the default chatter even before installing the addon.

Has anybody had a similar experience and/or able to suggest a solution please.

Try reinstalling the game

That's my theory

Also, try looking in your SOUNDS folder
I like ships.
Ships like me.

-[Official Captain of the M.S Oceana]-

!!!I LIKE TO ASK QUESTIONS!!!

johnpe

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 14:33:36 »

Have already reinstalled several times previously for various reasons but have now tried again and still no radio chatter but ,so far as I can tell, all other sound effects are coming though correctly.

Couldn't find any SOUND folder titled as such among the folders comprising SS2008.....the radio chatter is in the Data Folder in a file named Radio.As stated in opening post, I am able to play these sounds separately via Widows Media Player in the same way as playing a music Mp3 but don't hear them in the game.

Haven't bothered reinstalling the Solent Addon Sound pack as there seems little point in doing so until I can get the default chatter working properly.

Couldn't have cared less while in earlier blissful ignorance that there was any radio chatter but now I know that it is there...or should be there....it is irritating not to be able to hear it !

Denniz

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 17:11:15 »

Atleast you wont hear the screams from people talking in the radio
Hello everyone i am Denniz i aint really that active on the forums because of school i wish you all to have a great day on the forums

jetboatcap

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 23:29:01 »

Wondering if you ever figured out your radio chatter issue.

It might sound like an obvious question, but did you try to hear the radio in the "wheelhouse" camera view?

Unfortunately, that is the only view where radio traffic is audible, which makes some sense.

If the traffic were pertinent to the mission, I would think you are missing something. Otherwise, I have to agree with the last post.  ;D

jetboatcap

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 22:40:45 »

If you would like to have real marine radio traffic playing in the background, you can do what I do. I open the following web page, and allow the audio to play over my simulation. The web page is a "live" broadcast of the vessels operating in New York Harbor.

It is especially realistic while playing any missions in New York Harbor, but I listen to it during any mission. There is also a web cam selection to watch of various views of New York Harbor, on constant rotation, if you're not playing ShipSim. Here is the link:

http://www.nyharborwebcam.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines