Hello Guest September 29, 2024, 05:27:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you grab a screenshot in-game? (Which key do you press)  (Read 2780 times)

JEL

• Forum member

How do you grab a screenshot in-game?

Which key do you press?

Do you have to be in a specific camera-mode?

Where are the screenshots saved? (which folder)

I'm sorry if this is obvious to all but me, but I've read the manual and can't find any instruction on how to grab a screenshot. Yet the game keeps saying (when starting) "screenshots are saved on your computer", so I assume it must be possible to grab some.

Thanks in advance :)
JEL

Mr Robville

• Administrator
Re: How do you grab a screenshot in-game? (Which key do you press)
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 12:58:57 »

Hello Jel,
There are two ways you can make a screenshot.
One is using windows' printscreen button by using the following steps:
1. Press the printscreen button while ingame (PrtSc/SysRq) which is located next to the scroll lock button on the top right row of your keyboard.
This will make a virtual snapshot of your monitor's content and store it on your computer's clipboard memory.
2. Exit the game
3. Open MS Paint (Start and typing in "paint" in the search box and press enter)
4. Once opened, press the crtl key + V to paste the printscreen.
5. The image should appear in paint.
6. Save the image. (.bmp for better quality and .jpg for internet)

Or you can use capture software such as Fraps:
www.fraps.com

For some games and videos, capturing software is recommended as printscreen does not always capture everything well and can leave artifacts or just a blank screen.

Hope this helped  ;)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 13:00:30 by Mr Robville »

JEL

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 13:19:56 »

Fraps is good :) . I'll use that then. Thanks for the quick reply :)

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 13:40:54 »

Keep in mind that Extremes only allows onboard shots..
For external shots you indeed need a program like FRAPS..
The free version of FRAPS saves pictures in BMP size, which can be too large to post here.
You will then need to resize them to JPEG size..
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 13:47:55 by saltydog »

Mr Robville

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 15:08:05 »

What do you mean exactly with onboard shots?
If printscreen works depends on the software rather than a situation inside it.

I forgot to add the ingame screenshot function that you posted.

danny

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 15:39:06 »

I think Salty is referring to the ingame camera option - which only allows you to take photos in walkthrough mode.
STCW II/1 Unlimited Officer Of the Watch.
Big or small, I'll sail 'em all!

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 15:44:03 »

That's right danny, unlike SS08, Extremes has no option to take external shots..

JEL

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 22:09:36 »

I think Salty is referring to the ingame camera option - which only allows you to take photos in walkthrough mode.

I'm a bit confused now.
What is the 'ingame camera option'?
Is there a hotkey in the game that takes screenshots when in certain camera-modes?
(I'm using 'extremes', not SS08)

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 06:16:17 »

Click on Start on bottom left of your screen. Go to All Programs-Ship Simulator Extremes
There you will find a folder User Guide UK.  In it chapter 7.5.2 deals with the camera functions.
You will also see a folder called My Pictures, this is where ingame pictures are usually stored..

JEL

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 13:19:13 »

Click on Start on bottom left of your screen. Go to All Programs-Ship Simulator Extremes
There you will find a folder User Guide UK.  In it chapter 7.5.2 deals with the camera functions.
You will also see a folder called My Pictures, this is where ingame pictures are usually stored..

Check, found it :D
Now I know how it works. Thank you very much :)

kathy4691

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 15:29:38 »

My student who does screenshots for me says she uses the Snipping Tool that comes with Vista, win7, and win8.
You can select part of the screen and save as jpg, It helps to run SSE windowed so that the taskbar is accessible.

hansgutana

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 15:23:09 »

Hello Jel,
There are two ways you can make a screenshot.
One is using windows' printscreen button by using the following steps:
1. Press the printscreen button while ingame (PrtSc/SysRq) which is located next to the scroll lock button on the top right row of your keyboard.
This will make a virtual snapshot of your monitor's content and store it on your computer's clipboard memory.
2. Exit the game
3. Open MS Paint (Start and typing in "paint" in the search box and press enter)
4. Once opened, press the crtl key + V to paste the printscreen.
5. The image should appear in paint.
6. Save the image. (.bmp for better quality and .jpg for internet)

Or you can use capture software such as Fraps:
www.fraps.com

For some games and videos, capturing software is recommended as printscreen does not always capture everything well and can leave artifacts or just a blank screen.

Hope this helped  ;)

You don't have to exit the game... just press the button with the "Windows" logo and then you will exit full screen mode of SSE (but not quitting your game) and the start menu should automatically appear... if you don't have this logo button (which should be right below the letter Z key,next to the Fn key, and before the Alt key) then you might really need to exit the game unless you have this capturing/recording software like fraps,zdsoft, etc.  ;)  :thumbs:
(http://www.makeagif.com/cjwKhB)

MokMok

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 20:39:17 »

That's right danny, unlike SS08, Extremes has no option to take external shots..

Why doesn't have SSE 2010 the option to take external shots?

kathy4691

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 22:41:02 »

Using the Snipping Tool for Screenshots in Extremes:
The Snipping Tool will take a picture of any part of the screen and save it as a .jpg without the need for any other program. The Tool is part of Vista, Win7, and Win8. To find it, click the Start button, type snipping into the search box above the Start button, and press Enter. The tool will open and the screen behind it will be “bleached”, ready for selecting a rectangular area.
Click Cancel to restore the background.
Click the Minimize button to send it to the taskbar.
Right-click the icon on the taskbar and select Pin this program to the taskbar. Now it will always be available.

The down-arrow to the right of the New button lists the types of snips: Rectangular is the default, but you can also grab the entire screen, or the current window. For rectangular snip it works like the crop tool in Paint; drag the cursor from the top left to the bottom right of the area. The snip happens when you release the mouse button.
To save the snip, either click the diskette icon, or select Save as… from the File menu. The default type is JPEG, but you can select PNG, GIF, or HTML.
I find this to be the easiest way to make screenshots.

Mr Robville

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2013, 12:17:56 »

You don't have to exit the game... just press the button with the "Windows" logo and then you will exit full screen mode of SSE (but not quitting your game) and the start menu should automatically appear... if you don't have this logo button (which should be right below the letter Z key,next to the Fn key, and before the Alt key) then you might really need to exit the game unless you have this capturing/recording software like fraps,zdsoft, etc.  ;)  :thumbs:

Ah you are right, I forgot to fix that. The template was originally written for someone at customer support that had to make a screenshot of an issue.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines