Hello Guest March 28, 2024, 21:51:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: STEAM  (Read 4557 times)

Dannypenguin

• Forum member
STEAM
« on: April 17, 2013, 15:46:03 »

Hi,

I am thinking about buying ship sim extremes.

Do I have to install STEAM or can I buy a version without out it or skip installation?

I can't use STEAM as I bought a train sim with it once and it kept messing around with the sytem and crashing the computer - eventually we had to have the computer wiped!
Thanks,

Dan

saltydog

• Forum member
Re: STEAM
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 17:03:47 »

Hi Dannypenguin, you can buy Ship Sim Extremes without Steam from the ShipSim site, either the boxed or the download version.

Here's a link to the site:  http://www.shipsim.com/products/shipsimulatorextremes

Be sure to check the system requirements  ;)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 21:36:26 by saltydog »

Dannypenguin

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 17:48:43 »

Hi Dannypenguin, you can buy Ship Sim Extremes without Steam from the ShipSim site, either the boxed or the download version.

Thanks for that.

Does that mean that nobody else that sells the game brand new sells a non-steam version?

Dan

Mr Robville

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 18:44:40 »

There are many resellers of ShipSim (off and online), but from many there is no telling in advance if you got the Steam version or non-Steam untill you see the box.
Purchases made from www.shipsim.com are guaranteed to be non-Steam.
It's also easier for me to trace your purchase in case you need technical support  ;)

Dannypenguin

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 20:01:01 »

Thankyou for that information.

New question. I have checked the system requirments and it says I need a 3 GHZ processor. I only have a 2.8. Is this an issue or is that just an advisory?

Dan

Mr Robville

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 20:42:53 »

What type of CPU do you have?
I have an Intel I7 2.8 GHZ quad core and it works fine.

Dannypenguin

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 20:53:39 »

My CPU says on it (I am useless with computer specs - odd for a teenager! ;)): "Intel Pentium D CPU 2.8 GHZ"

Don't want to order it then it don't work!   :-\

sydmichel

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 22:51:36 »

My CPU says on it (I am useless with computer specs - odd for a teenager! ;)): "Intel Pentium D CPU 2.8 GHZ"

Don't want to order it then it don't work!   :-\

Hi Dannypenguin,

Your CPU is quite old and below minimum specification for SSE which in itself is not too disastrous.  However, if the graphics card in the computer is the same vintage, there is no way it will launch and run SSE so don't waste your money. That was the bad news.  The good news is that you can still buy Ship Simulator 2008 that you should be able to run on a circa 2007 machine.  Although SS2008 is older and the graphics are slightly inferior to the current game, in a lot of peoples opinion it is a better game with better game-play and with more ships available to pilot through a lot more missions than SSE.
We're all buddies in boats

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 00:11:10 »

It may be useful if you post your Dx diag  
I don't know which OS you use, but here's a tuturial for Windows 7: http://80.95.161.114/shipsim/forum/index.php/topic,23335.0.html  It's pretty much the same for XP..

In the meantime you could try out playing the free demo: http://www.shipsim.com/downloads/demos  ;)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 00:34:48 by saltydog »

Dannypenguin

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 09:36:24 »

Damn! :C I though that might be the case. The reason we have such an old computer is, A. Because my Dad can acutally work it! B. We have a business of which everything is stored on here and it wouldn't be worthwhile to upgrade at the moment.

I have Ship sim 2008 - somewhere! When we re-arranged the office, it got lost and I have never been able to find it since. I did have it installed on this computer before, then we got it wiped after the train sim STEAM issue.

On the other hand, we have a new (2012) laptop, and although my Dad isn't that keen on me installing games on it, I have managed to persuade him to say yes as long as I install it on a new desktop computer that we will inevitably have to get as our current one is around 7 years old. The processer on the laptop says: Intel Core I3 CPU M 380 @ 2.53 GHZ. The operating system is Windows 7. Would it work?

If it won't I'll just have to keep hunting or wait till we get a new desktop computer.

Oh, btw,. The link for the DX Diag thing didn't work, it told me I was off limits or the page didn't exist.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 13:04:00 by Dannypenguin »

sydmichel

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 23:45:19 »

Your old PC is a none starter, forget it.  So, you should post the DXdiag for your new laptop to do this click on 'start' then in the 'search  for windows and files' field just type "dxdiag" (without quotes) then press enter.  When the Direct X Diagnostic tool appears  hit 'save all information' button and on the next window select 'save'

This will place a file called 'DxDiag.txt' on your desktop which you can attach and subsequently post here on the forum.

Please don't hold your breath, as laptop computers, unless specifically built for gaming will not be strong enough in the graphics card department.  After all, qualifying desktop graphics cards take up 2 PCI slots and are half the size of a house-brick.

Hope that helps.
We're all buddies in boats

Dannypenguin

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 08:29:40 »

Thanks.

DxDiag attached.

Mr Robville

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 08:57:13 »

Please don't hold your breath, as laptop computers, unless specifically built for gaming will not be strong enough in the graphics card department.  After all, qualifying desktop graphics cards take up 2 PCI slots and are half the size of a house-brick.

Syd was correct here.
Unfortunately your DxDiag shows your laptop has an Intel GPU card which are not designed to play games other than flash (browser).
Only in rare cases somebody manages to get it (barely) working with these GPU's but there is no way of telling in advance if it can work or not with this GPU.

I also have doubts on your CPU. I3 series is not known for handling games.

In a nutshell. Your laptop definitely designed for browsing, text editing and other light tasks only. I wouldn't recommend it for playing games with at all.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 09:02:27 by Mr Robville »

Dannypenguin

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 14:58:49 »

Thanks very much, even though I am dissapointed it won't work...  :(

However, would ship sim 2008 collectors edition work?

I have checked the specs and it looks all right.

Mr Robville

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 15:04:35 »

Although it uses lower specs I still have my doubts.
The last thing I said in my previous message is important to keep in mind.
If you already own the game it's worth giving it a try. But if you still need to purchase it I wouldn't recommend to do it.

Like Saltydog mentioned:
In the meantime you could try out playing the free demo: http://www.shipsim.com/downloads/demos  ;)

I shall try the demo first.  ;)

Dannypenguin

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2013, 16:15:48 »

I had the normal ship sim 2008 installed on the desktop before the steam fiasco, and that worked fine, and I presume the collectors version has the same specs?

I have tried the demo (on the desktop computer) and it worked! There was a bit of lag but im not really bothered by it.

I'm quite tempted by it now...   :lol:

« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 17:08:28 by Dannypenguin »

Dannypenguin

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2013, 16:18:55 »

Attached is the Dxdiag for our desktop computer.

Dannypenguin

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2013, 15:55:59 »

Hi everyone,

Thankyou for your help over the past few weeks. Without it I would have ended up dissapointed with an unusable Ship sim extremes.

On Sunday I ordered an SS08 Collectors edition, which came yesterday and it works fine on my 'ancient' desktop. The only thing is that it takes a bit of time to load but I have other games that take longer so I'm fine with it. Managed to ground Ocean Star in the Solent when I got the Azipod controls the wrong way round!

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 15:57:52 by Dannypenguin »

Path_Finder

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2013, 13:43:55 »

Hello everyone, I've been following this for some time and would just like to add that while most laptops won't run SSE unless designed for gaming as mentioned before I run it on a 3 year old Compaq CQ60, with a 2.1GHz dual core and an Nvidia GeForce 8200M graphics card and if I shut down all background tasks can easily run SSE with around 15-25 fps (I know it's not great but it's bearable) just thought I'd add my bit as it were
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines