Hello Guest April 25, 2024, 07:50:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why can't I "Prop-walk" on Ship Simulator 2008?  (Read 2809 times)

mainsail

• Forum member
Why can't I "Prop-walk" on Ship Simulator 2008?
« on: September 06, 2012, 15:27:59 »

When you command a real twin-engined vessel - particularly a smaller one it should be possible to get it to "prop-walk". In other words you can get the boat to move sideways through the water WITHOUT bow or stern-thrusters.

The real-life technique  to get your boat to move sideways to starboard, for example, is to put the helm full-over to port and hold it there. Then simultaneously go AHEAD with the port propellor and ASTERN with the starboard propellor.  The boat will then move sideways to starboard.

While this works in real life, it does not seem to work on SS2008. Is there a fix for this on later editions?

saltydog

• Forum member
Re: Why can't I "Prop-walk" on Ship Simulator 2008?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 04:41:47 »

I always thought "prop-walk" is what the Vermaas and Latitude do in SS08 (what they no longer do in Extremes)

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 09:21:08 »

Prop walk is the effect which can be seen on a single screw ship when the engine is put astern and the stern swings to one side.

What you are talking about is something completely different and can be done in SS2008.  If you want to go to starboard then put the rudder to port, put the starboard engine ahead and the port engine astern and use the bow thruster to starboard.  You will need to balance the thrust on both propellers to stop the ship moving ahead or astern.

If I remember correctly, about 40% ahead on the starboard engine and 60% astern on the port engine should be about right, but that is from memory and it was quite some time ago. 

I have only ever tried this with Fairmount Sherpa, but the same thing should work with any twin engined ship with a bow thruster.

LucAtC

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 13:49:39 »

Hello saltydog,
I always thought "prop-walk" is what the Vermaas and Latitude do in SS08 (what they no longer do in Extremes)
All screw propellers in Extremes have astern propwalk effect . The ahead propeller propwalk is set to zero for most single propellers, to avoid the need for permanent steering as there is no effective autopilot.

Regards,
Luc
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines