Hello Guest March 29, 2024, 10:10:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Game creators - Are these glitches ever going to be fixed?  (Read 9175 times)

AllenIsbell

• Forum member

Hello, all. First off, I am going to start this off on a good note and say that I love playing this game. I am a huge simulator fan. The graphics are beautiful to look at, I love the way you incorporated Nvidia's PhysX engine, and that alone makes this well worth playing. 

I am having some issues with the game that are driving me insane. The game crashes any chance it gets. I can't play in full screen mode because I like to switch programs while I am playing (music, internet, etc...). If I Alt+Tab, the screen goes black. I can't even access the Task Manager to close the program. I have to Ctrl+Alt+Delete to log off of Windows to get my computer back to a stable state. Not the end of the world...I just swapped to playing in windowed mode.

After playing in windowed mode for awhile, the game randomly crashes right after I save it, and I get a crash handler message. Oh, well, games crash... I log back onto the game and play some more. I anchor my ship in free roam to walk away from the computer for a bit. I come back and the game is crashed again. Crash crash crash crash. Every time I turn around...CRASH.

As I type this, I am reinstalling the game with hopes of success.

To the game creators, I really love this game. I would love to spend hours playing it, but I can't. I have read tons and tons about this game's reliability. I have one question for you... Are these issues ever going to be fixed?

To make this clear, the problem is not my computer. I personally built it, and I play many games on my , and they all run on max graphics flawlessly. If these problems are not sorted out, I may have to wait until a new ship simulator comes out before I play one again.

Computer specs:

CPU: e8400 Wolfdale @ 4.2GHz
Fan: Arctic Cooler Freezer 7 Pro
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2L
RAM: OCZ Silver 4GB
GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 5850 (flashed to Asus BIOS) @ 840/1200 - 1.3v
PSU: Corsair 650w

Thank you for your time, and please get back to me about this!

Allen

AllenIsbell

• Forum member
Re: Game creators - Are these glitches ever going to be fixed?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 20:59:58 »

Well what do you know... Just as I was coming up on my objective, I get this crap...

Finney

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 11:39:52 »

Good luck mate.

I've said my two cents MONTHS, many MONTHS ago and NOTHING has been done. Don't hold your breath.

sadsid († 2016)

• IN MEMORIAM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 12:20:48 »

Hi AllenIsbell
Hi please register your game this gives you access to all forum then
you can go in tech support were a lot off issue's have been fixed.
                                                                                    Eric

AllenIsbell

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 00:39:39 »

Good luck mate.

I've said my two cents MONTHS, many MONTHS ago and NOTHING has been done. Don't hold your breath.

I have noticed tons and tons of threads like this. I started my own just to be one more with issues. Maybe we will finally convince them to do something about it, or at least tell us what they plan on doing!

Hi AllenIsbell
Hi please register your game this gives you access to all forum then
you can go in tech support were a lot off issue's have been fixed.
                                                                                    Eric

I am moving in a couple of weeks, and all of my games are packed up in a box. I will register it in about 3-4 weeks when I have the chance to dig it out. I don't see a need in starting another thread in another section. Why wouldn't you just help me in some way in this thread? At least give me some form of reassurance. Something. Anything?

sadsid († 2016)

• IN MEMORIAM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 09:11:47 »

Hi AllenIsbell
I and many others play the game with very few problems V-Step are looking
into reported problems to better the game.
Di-spite all you read on forum they do care about extremes and work on patches
 as well as looking into new content for game.
My reference for you to register is because you have knowledge of computers
the tech support section will give answers and most likely solve the problem.
A lot of the time it is found that it is not the computer at fault but programs
running in the background are cause. 
I hope your move go's well and hope you stay with the game it is worth it.
                                                                                                      Eric

sydmichel

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 09:24:31 »

I am moving in a couple of weeks, and all of my games are packed up in a box. I will register it in about 3-4 weeks when I have the chance to dig it out. I don't see a need in starting another thread in another section. Why wouldn't you just help me in some way in this thread? At least give me some form of reassurance. Something. Anything?

Come on Alan, your game cant be that deeply packed that it is too difficult to locate, it was only the day before yesterday that you said, "As I type this, I am reinstalling the game with hopes of success".

The reasons that Sadsid asked you to register your game on the forum is primarily, the symptoms that you describe may well have been discussed at great length and a way ahead found in the Tech Support area of this forum.  However, until you register your game  the Tech Support area remains invisible and not accessible to you.  Secondly, its a way of ensuring that Technical Advise is only given to forum members that hold a valid license key.

As an aside; I used to have a problem 'Alt-TABing' out of SSE when I only had 4 Gigs of RAM but since upgrading that particular issue has been resolved.  I think SSE used to grab all the memory.

Hope that helps
We're all buddies in boats

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 11:12:33 »

I would like to add to this topic. My computer is nothing very special, as can be seen from my DxDiag below. However I play the game with no problems at all. I have none of the problems mentioned above, other than perhaps a rather low frame rate of 15-17 FPS. I am no computer expert but from some considerable experience with the SSE game I suspect that, as Eric says, the fact that AllenIsbell has told us he has other applications running at the same time as SSE is probably where his problem lies. My own computer is nowhere near as powerful as his, as can be seen, and yet I play the game problem free. ??? So many complaints come with the comment:-  "I can play all sorts of other games with no problems", or words to that effect. It has been pointed out, time & time again, that SSE is NOT the same as those games and requires a more special computer to play it. The fact that a computer such as AllenIsbell has is giving him problems would indicate that possibly he is asking too much of it by having other stuff running concurrently with SSE. From the picture Allen has posted above the task bar (bottom left) shows at least two other programmes running as well as SSE.
Just as a matter of interest I note that Allen has not registered his game at all, this being the case, why not?

Angus.

To follow up on my post, and trying to replicate the situation Allen describes, I have set the game going with the mission "No Scuttling" from the Greenpeace campaign (which is illustrated in Allen's picture above). I also set Fraps to run at the same time AND I tried playing some Folk Music on ITunes as well. The Mission in question has been queried before in the Technical Support  board.  That made three things running at once on my not too special computer, yet surprise, surprise, I had no problem when "Esperanza" reached the first waypoint and moved to the Atlantic environment. ::)  Just to be sure about this I played the mission both in full screen & in windowed mode. Surely this indicates, even to an old fogey like me, that the problem cannot be in the software of the game.???

A.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 16:39:48 by Traddles »
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

sydmichel

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 19:50:34 »

Well.  It Folk Music didn't crash the program, nothing will ;D  Do you also play SSE in open towed sandals? :evil:

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 21:06:10 »

Exactly, but TOWED????? Surely TOED. :o ;D Actually I had my Navvy boots on. ::) (They are good ballast.)

Angus.

sydmichel

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 21:50:43 »

Exactly, but TOWED????? Surely TOED.

Touché

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 22:27:33 »

I had a nice little laugh with that one! At least it wasn't a toad. Just examples of how three words in English which all sound the same mean three totally different things. No wonder so many of our continental friends are confused by the English language.

Angus.

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 22:46:52 »

Shirley we have become used to people misspelling words now and then.. ;D

I also have a rather old system, which just barely meets the minimum requirements of SSE, yet I have no real problem with the game other than pretty low fps (5-10), which is to be expected..
But I usually play SS08..
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 08:08:40 by saltydog »

Mr Robville

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2012, 09:19:04 »

I think in SSE the problem is that the graphics are way high demanding. I guess more effort has been put into this rather than the game's mechanics, Which makes the game very unstable. It is a common problem amongst some games. Good example, the new ocean in SSE compared to SS08 looks lovely. there are 3D waves and the hull really pushes the water aside. But on the opposite side, fast boats like speedboats start bumping and flying like crazy if they hit a wave because of the so complicated mesh.
It is also the ocean that causes the average framerate below 30FPS to many people (I'm not starting that discussion, don't worry  ;) )
Perhaps they should focus more on the fact that Better graphics do not make a better game.

And stop calling me Shirley                 
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 09:22:11 by mr robville »

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2012, 10:50:04 »

Can I just say how great it is to see that so many of our members have a very acute sense of humour. It really puts a bit of happiness into the forum, which is in short supply just lately. :2thumbs: ;D

Angus.

danny

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2012, 22:14:21 »

Well said Shirley, Whilst SSE has some great things, it (unfortunately) has many more broken ones. I'm not fond of the ocean, to me it looks like Jelly  :doh:

Although I suppose that's a good thing, I can just take a scoop of ocean and eat it now, insted of having to put up with Shirley's awful Jelly  :evil:
STCW II/1 Unlimited Officer Of the Watch.
Big or small, I'll sail 'em all!

AllenIsbell

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2012, 19:07:28 »

I would like to add to this topic. My computer is nothing very special, as can be seen from my DxDiag below. However I play the game with no problems at all. I have none of the problems mentioned above, other than perhaps a rather low frame rate of 15-17 FPS. I am no computer expert but from some considerable experience with the SSE game I suspect that, as Eric says, the fact that AllenIsbell has told us he has other applications running at the same time as SSE is probably where his problem lies. My own computer is nowhere near as powerful as his, as can be seen, and yet I play the game problem free. ??? So many complaints come with the comment:-  "I can play all sorts of other games with no problems", or words to that effect. It has been pointed out, time & time again, that SSE is NOT the same as those games and requires a more special computer to play it. The fact that a computer such as AllenIsbell has is giving him problems would indicate that possibly he is asking too much of it by having other stuff running concurrently with SSE. From the picture Allen has posted above the task bar (bottom left) shows at least two other programmes running as well as SSE.
Just as a matter of interest I note that Allen has not registered his game at all, this being the case, why not?

Angus.

To follow up on my post, and trying to replicate the situation Allen describes, I have set the game going with the mission "No Scuttling" from the Greenpeace campaign (which is illustrated in Allen's picture above). I also set Fraps to run at the same time AND I tried playing some Folk Music on ITunes as well. The Mission in question has been queried before in the Technical Support  board.  That made three things running at once on my not too special computer, yet surprise, surprise, I had no problem when "Esperanza" reached the first waypoint and moved to the Atlantic environment. ::)  Just to be sure about this I played the mission both in full screen & in windowed mode. Surely this indicates, even to an old fogey like me, that the problem cannot be in the software of the game.???

A.

If I can play any other game on the market right now, and run an internet browser, sync my iPhone to iTunes, burn a CD, watch HD videos on Youtube, etc, etc... I should be able to do the same on this game. I don't care how good the ocean looks, the graphics aren't the best or most demanding I've ran on this computer. I can run Microsoft Flight Simulator on 100% max graphics (100% view distance, 100% cloud draw, etc...) and my computer doesn't break a sweat. There is no "special computer" needed to play this game. The graphics on this game and NVidia's PhysX engine are very easy to run, hence my frame rate. To say that this isn't software related, is silly. I have tried running this game with no other applications running, and I STILL have these problems.

Since you say you can run this game with the graphics lower tells me that there is a problem in the program. Example: I used to play World of Warcraft. In one of their updates, they added the option to control the quality of shadows. If you ran the shadow quality at max, the game was unstable. This wasn't a problem for me only, it was a problem for everyone. Blizzard realized the issue and released a patch that fixed the problem. From that point on, the game was as stable as minesweeper. It is obvious that I am not the only person having issues with the game. If I had to guess, I would say that there are hundreds, if not, thousands of people with issues of this game being unstable. All I can do now to help prove your theory, is to play the game with lower graphic settings. Can you tell me exactly what your graphics settings are? I want to try them out to see if it works.

As far as the mission "No Scuttling" goes, I had to play that mission 4 times before I could get all the way through it without it crashing. I learned very quickly that I must save the game every other minute to keep from wasting my time.

sydmichel

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2012, 19:47:59 »

Did you actually want advice from others or have you just come here to Rant.  If its the former, please take the advice that you have already been given.  I'll summarize for you:

.  Register your game on the forum for access to Technical Support.
  .  Just because your computer in its current state can run a flight simulator and an RPG does not mean it
     can   run SSE.  You cannot compare Apples with Oranges!
  .  Traddles can play the game with a far less powerful computer than yours, ergo its not the size of your
     computer that counts, its what you do with it.
  .  One of the programs that you have running in the background may be clashing with SSE in a way that they
     don't clash with your flight sim.

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2012, 19:52:42 »

I don't think Allen wishes to register his game. :doh: He must have his reason for not doing so. I really wonder who is silly here. :evil:
When did I say I was playing the game on low graphics settings anyway. ??? See the settings which I use illustrated below. :-*

I maintain my previous post to be correct  in every way therefore. ;D

Traddles.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 20:02:49 by Traddles »

AllenIsbell

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2012, 20:24:27 »

Did you actually want advice from others or have you just come here to Rant.  If its the former, please take the advice that you have already been given.  I'll summarize for you:

.  Register your game on the forum for access to Technical Support.
  .  Just because your computer in its current state can run a flight simulator and an RPG does not mean it
     can   run SSE.  You cannot compare Apples with Oranges!
  .  Traddles can play the game with a far less powerful computer than yours, ergo its not the size of your
     computer that counts, its what you do with it.
  .  One of the programs that you have running in the background may be clashing with SSE in a way that they
     don't clash with your flight sim.

I never asked for advice. I don't need advice. I need someone to fix this game that I paid $20 for. I will register the game once I've moved. My entire living room is full of boxes, and I have no idea which one has the game in it. As I have said, I had nothing running other than the operating system while playing. Unless the game clashes with Windows 7, there is nothing I am doing wrong here.

I don't think Allen wishes to register his game. :doh: He must have his reason for not doing so. I really wonder who is silly here. :evil:
When did I say I was playing the game on low graphics settings anyway. ??? See the settings which I use illustrated below. :-*

I maintain my previous post to be correct  in every way therefore. ;D

Traddles.

I have listed my reason for not yet registering the game. I think I assumed that you were playing on lower graphic settings since you aren't using a gaming computer and are only getting 17fps--my fault. I will try lowering the water grid as you have to see if it helps at all. I will report back soon.

AllenIsbell

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2012, 20:28:10 »

Haha. As it was "initializing" I got this message:

I waited about 30 seconds and it eventually started up...

AllenIsbell

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2012, 20:37:14 »

Now this is weird. With the water grid lowered, I am getting only 13fps, as before I was getting up to 40fps... I'm gonna keep playing anyway to see how it goes.

Doesn't make sense.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 20:54:10 by AllenIsbell »

AllenIsbell

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2012, 20:54:57 »

Same thing.

Notice the drop in FPS.

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2012, 22:19:19 »

Just as a test I set the water grid quality to maximum. This had no adverse effect on the gameplay at all. I cannot set the graphics settings any higher now, everything is on maximum. ???
My computer IS a gaming machine, although a very reasonably priced one. It was purchased for £399.00. (Current rate of exchange $618 US) from a British company called Dino PC Ltd. This was the price of a base unit only, keyboard, mouse, display unit  etc. are very basic Dell equipment.

Traddles.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 22:21:36 by Traddles »

vin_sun

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2012, 13:39:56 »

Angus ..... quite like yours even my PC just about meets the Sys Reqmnts of SSE and the game runs quite normally. Even our Dxdiags are very close. Since I have Windows 7 Home Basic the entire 4GB RAM is not being utilised.
vin_sun
Land was created to provide a place for boats to visit.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines