Hello Guest April 27, 2024, 00:10:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Camera to bring to Sea  (Read 5917 times)

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
Camera to bring to Sea
« on: January 29, 2012, 16:13:41 »

Good afternoon all,

I'm looking to buy a camera before I go to sea. However, I'm not sure whether or not to go for a 'cheap and cheerful' compact camera, or to get something more expensive. I'm looking for something which I think will last in the long term, which is why I'm considering something more expensive, but I'm afraid of it getting broken onboard. Aside from this, I'm wondering if a professional camera will be too bulky.

This is what I'm looking at: http://www.wilkinson.co.uk/cameras/digital-slr-cameras/nikon/nikon-d3100-af-s-18-55-vr-value-kit.html

Aside from the above, the price tag is rather hefty, although I realise that this is inevitable when looking at professional cameras. Ultimately, is it worth my while getting a professional camera, or, can I get something more compact that will take just as good pictures for a much more reasonable price tag?

Thanks in advance,

Kind Regards,
Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

danny

• Forum member
Re: Camera to bring to Sea
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 16:36:55 »

If your going to buy a camera, try and get a case for it aswell, so that if you drop the camera it won't shatter into a million very expensive peices.
Do you want to use it for just taking photos, or do you want to take videos with it aswell?
STCW II/1 Unlimited Officer Of the Watch.
Big or small, I'll sail 'em all!

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 16:53:51 »

Hi Danny,

Thanks for your reply.

If I were to buy that camera, I'd be getting a case. My main concern is accidentally dropping it/banging it whilst it's in my suitcase. Aside from that, it's the bulkiness of it which is also a worry, as I need to be traveling as light as I can.

Taking the occasional video would be nice, although it is not essential. My main need for a good camera is for my TRB work (set by the MCA), which needs pictures to support the text.

On the flip side, it would be nice to have a camera which I can get all round good use out of, for the enjoyment of it. But it's whether or not I can get good quality pictures out of your average compact camera, VS something like I posted above, which is a great deal more expensive.

Jack.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 16:57:37 by IRI5HJ4CK »
Kind Regards,
Jack.

danny

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 17:01:07 »

Personally, I'd get a decent digital camera, as I highly doubt your going to need a all singing all dancing SLR camera.
These camera's might be useful : http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_digital.asp?section=tough
They're "pre-ruggerdised", so you don't have to buy a waterproof case!
STCW II/1 Unlimited Officer Of the Watch.
Big or small, I'll sail 'em all!

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 17:41:30 »

I've always been a bit of a Nikon fan..Perhaps the Nikon AW100 is something for you.. :)

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/compact-cameras/nikon-coolpix-aw100-1036710/review

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 17:49:26 »

you dont want anything too cheap that eats battreys or do realy bad pics
so something good ill say
@saltydog
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8a4iiOnzsc
Captain Cadet
Please don't message me for technical support!

vin_sun

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 19:25:28 »

Hi Jack,

I can quite see that you are in a bit of a spot about choosing a convenient camera. In that sense a simple basic point-and-shoot digital camera would be most suitable but they do have limitations.

The Nikon D3100 you are contemplating is a good choice  :thumbs: as it has been receiving rave reviews as an 'excellent entry level DSLR'. BTW, I bought this camera two weeks ago and I am very pleased with the decision. You can spend your free time on board studying this camera and you will be able to learn a lot when using it on auto mode and then experiment with those settings in manual mode. There is a 'Guide' mode that does all the intelligent stuff so if you need to take some quick photographs without putting in a lot of thought before clicking, this would suit you fine.

Your fears of damage is justified and I can only suggest you keep some bubble wrap handy when transporting it. :lol:

However you will need to pick up some accessories too and that would include - a UV filter for the lens, a sturdy tripod and a Type C mini HDMI cable available through Amazon for < £10 (to connect your Nikon to an LCD TV). Surprisingly the price of the D3100 in UK is rather steep - almost £100 more than in U.S. and India. Of course they have given you an 8GB SDHC card but elsewhere they give a 4 GB card. The minimum size of a picture would be about 3 MB but you can always resize them to a few kbs.

Nikon has a wonderful website and you should especially check out their Digitutor page which guides you for all their cameras. They also conduct live classes and I saw they charge £149. I enrolled for a four hour course in my city - Basic DSLR concepts - for £3.20 . You can also check out for some tutorials in You Tube.

In my opinion you should go for the D3100 and once you master it you will enjoy photography. I am still about getting the grips but I am certain I will be capturing some great pics soon.

Check out these Nikon websites:-
http://www.nikondigitutor.com/index_eng.html

http://www.nikon.co.in/en_IN/pagearticle.page?DCRPath=templatedata/en_IN/free_format_content/data/custompages/learn_explore/photography_tutorials.xml

http://www.nikonusa.com/Learn-And-Explore/Photography-Techniques/HD-Video-Tips.page

Regards
vin_sun

Land was created to provide a place for boats to visit.

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 19:47:48 »

A camera like that would be a shame to drop and is rather bulky, but would definately take better quality pictures.
If you do decide for such a camera, a polarizing filter should also be on your list.. :)

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=polarising+filter&view=detail&id=50B6168D69C7AC30683E391C093CDBC147AC5746&first=0&FORM=IDFRIR

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 20:08:38 »

Hi all,

Thankyou very much for all your advice :). I've been pondering for a while, and I eventually decided against going for the D3100, mainly because of it's price and size, as well as the possibilities of damaging it. As well as that, I'd be too tempted to buy other accessories like tripods/filters :lol:.

Instead, I decided to go for something a bit more modest: www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5620832.htm

It's 16MP's, and the reviews seemed to be very good. It's an ideal size for going onboard, and hopefully for the price of it it should last me for quite some time. Or at the very least, I won't feel as sick if it does give up the ghost, unlike the D3100 :lol:. However, I might think about going for a SLR once I've completed my cadetship, if my experiences with the Coolpix S8200 are good.

Once again, thanks all.

Kind Regards,
Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 20:39:36 »

Ok Jack, looking forward to your pics..(I still think the AW100 is a better choice for a seaman,
It's shockproof, waterproof and has GPS..)
Of course, if you intend to take dry pictures.. (of the bridge, etc.,) the 8200 should do nicely..  :)

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/nikon_coolpix_aw100_review/
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 23:04:02 by saltydog »

mvsmith

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 22:27:05 »

Hi Jack,

I can certainly second Vinod’s recommendation.
I use a D3000 for all of my work and would not consider another make—budget permitting.
It is a true “point and shoot”, in that once you have learned the basics of setting it, it nails the focus and exposure every time. And it has features that make it easier to set than many other makes of similar complexity.
This hand-held shot of a housefly was made with the D3000 and an 85mm Micro Nikor lens.

Regards,
Marty

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 06:10:26 »

What you want is something which is small and light enough to carry around in your boilersuit pocket all day, but big and heavy enough to remind you that it's there before you put the boilersuit into the washing machine!

Definitely point and click as the bosum will not want to wait for 5 minutes to clear away the anchors while you ponce around making imaginary frames with your fingers and thumbs.

Take photos of everything at every opportunity, the great advantage of digital photography is that you can take as many photos as you want and throw away what you decide you don't need later, even if you don't need photos for your TRB they might act as a useful reminder when you are doing orals prep.

Cat320DL

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 18:32:10 »

Hi Jack

Nikon's are awesome I got my first one last year & I love it takes great pic's & video's.
It is a http://en.nikon.ca/Nikon-Products/Product/Compact-Digital-Cameras/26255/COOLPIX-L120.html
It is vary easy for me to travel with it. Now if that is to big for you. This one small and still takes great pic's.
http://en.nikon.ca/Nikon-Products/Product/Nikon1/V27528/Nikon-1-J1.html
So if you have any ? about my nikon the L120 just ask.

Kyle
Thanks Stormforce for the awesome banner :) MV Princess Acadia in sig.

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 16:27:07 »

SD: I did have a look at the AW100, but I thought that the the price to accommodate a GPS wasn't worth it for me, as I wouldn't be needing it. Most of my pictures will be dry anyway, or at the very least, I'll keep my back to the sea Haha.

mvsmith: Thanks for your post. I'll certainly keep the D3100 in mind once I've finished my cadetship. Although initially I was considering the D3100, I realised it wouldn't be very practical for walking about with/quick point and shoots. But, once the 3 years have passed, no doubt I will need a new camera anyway, and then it would make sense to upgrade to something like the D3100.

Clanky: Very true :lol:, that's why in the end I decided to go for this: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5620832.htm . In future I'll probably look to the D3100, but during my cadetship a small point and click is far more practical.

Cat310DL: Thanks very much for the links. Nikon do seem to make very decent cameras. I was tempted to get a Samsung because of their very reasonable prices, but so far, my parents have owned 2. The first one, although an excellent camera for the quality of the pictures, broke within a year. The second one takes quite poor pictures, considering it is a 14MP versus the first one, which was 12MP.

Once again, thank you all very much for your posts. I'll be sure to put a few snaps on here as soon as I can.

Kind Regards,
Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

Cat320DL

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2012, 18:31:11 »

No problem Jack I am geld I could help  :)
My bother has had no luck with Samsung he had too.

Kyle
Thanks Stormforce for the awesome banner :) MV Princess Acadia in sig.

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2012, 18:58:15 »

Ok Jack, looking forward to your pictures.. :)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 19:41:07 by saltydog »

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2012, 18:39:40 »

Good afternoon all,

The camera arrived today - here's a quick shot of the cat ;D.

Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2012, 19:28:17 »

Nice shot. Good sharpness, no red eye.. Looks like the cat is pleased as well.. ;D
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 20:55:44 by saltydog »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines