Hello Guest April 20, 2024, 14:41:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: disappearing titanic  (Read 5843 times)

CaptEdwardSmith

• Forum member
disappearing titanic
« on: December 31, 2011, 07:45:47 »

I'm also having trouble I got the game to work but when I do Missions the ships load but when i cross to other areas they disappear..... can anyone help me?
      The titanic disappears, sometimes on loading, and other times when you cross 'areas' e.g. titanic to new york, titanic is there at Southampton, go down the solent... it loads solent english channel, but the titanic is invisible...?? Does it on free roaming mode too - sometimes, more often than not.

sadsid († 2016)

• IN MEMORIAM
  • Global Moderator
Re: disappearing titanic
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 10:51:26 »

Hi
It looks like you are low on ram if you post your Dxtiag it may help
1 of tech support team can take a look.
                                                                           Eric

mvsmith

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 14:22:31 »

This is a very common problem in SS2008: The amount of available RAM—that which is left in the pool to be allocated—becomes depleted as the game runs. This is because RAM that is no longer used is not always de-allocated and returned to the pool of available RAM.

Titanic is a very high-poly model and is usually the last thing to be rendered in a new scene. When the environment changes, the RAM allocated to the old environment is not completely de-allocated, so there is not enough left for Titanic.

When you enter a new environment and Titanic is missing or incomplete, immediately save the game and exit from SS2008 completely. It is also a good idea to restart your computer as well. This should return all RAM to the pool and Titanic should be OK when you restart SS and resume the mission.

I recommend that you restart your computer just before you begin playing SS2008, and after playing for an extended period with many different environments.

A couple of additional comments:
1. Extremes also suffers from the memory leak problem, but to a lesser extent. VSTEP has eliminated reports of such problems in the specific case of Titanic through an innovative approach.
2. Your problem might be due, in part, to an unfortunate choice of log-in name. Your namesake didn’t have a lot of luck with Titanic either.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 14:44:10 by mvsmith »

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 07:27:01 »

I'm also having trouble I got the game to work but when I do Missions the ships load but when i cross to other areas they disappear..... can anyone help me?
      The titanic disappears, sometimes on loading, and other times when you cross 'areas' e.g. titanic to new york, titanic is there at Southampton, go down the solent... it loads solent english channel, but the titanic is invisible...?? Does it on free roaming mode too - sometimes, more often than not.

So the Titanic leaves Southampton OK, disappears somewhere in the Atlantic and never makes it to New York?

Didn't someone make a film about that?

whitestarline1912

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 17:40:39 »

DANGIT CLANKY!!!! i was gonna make that joke!  >:(

dexter7

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 23:31:03 »

Geez, that was somewhat uncalled for... :-\ What is with people these days?
My PC specs:
AMD Phenom II X4 965 (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
600W Power Supply
MSI N760 TF IV OC
8GB or RAM
Acer X213W ~ Cyberpower PC Gamer Ultra 2097 Desktop PC
Favorite games: Ship Simulators, MS Flight Sims, Railworks 3,

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 14:38:58 »

DANGIT CLANKY!!!! i was gonna make that joke!  >:(

:P

Stephen1912

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 20:49:12 »

Thanks for the info, MVSmith--I've had that problem as well; I'll try your suggestions and see how it goes.  "Titanic" is just an unlucky name for a ship; that's all there is to it! 

hansgutana

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 12:36:15 »

Hello. just want to tell you i have Windows 7 home premium. My Hard disk drive is 500 GB and my Memory is 4 GB and still my titanic just SOMETIMES disappear.

hansgutana

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 08:43:46 »

Thanks for the info, MVSmith--I've had that problem as well; I'll try your suggestions and see how it goes.  "Titanic" is just an unlucky name for a ship; that's all there is to it! 

"Titanic" Was an unlucky name because it copied a ship that sank in the 1800's by an iceberg,the "Titan" it was just added by an "ic",That's why it had the same tragedy as the Titan !:)

Stephen1912

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 02:01:14 »

"Titanic" Was an unlucky name because it copied a ship that sank in the 1800's by an iceberg,the "Titan" it was just added by an "ic",That's why it had the same tragedy as the Titan !:)

Right--the Titan was the ship created by author Morgan Robertson in his novel "Futility"!  What an eerie coincidence that was! 

Right now, my solution for the disappearing ship (I've had Ocean Star disappear on me occasionally, too) is to save my game before exiting a region--that way I can just restart from there if it happens again.  I love the SS2008 model of the Titanic--superbly detailed! 

Her top speed in the game is supposed to be 23kts--for some reason I can only get 19 or 20 out of her when I open her up.  No big deal though--I think 20 or 21 was the fastest she ever went on her maiden crossing, so that's pretty close.

Rodders69

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 13:15:52 »

Hi
It looks like you are low on ram if you post your Dxtiag it may help
1 of tech support team can take a look.
                                                                           Eric

I could top up your RAM if you wish...  :captain:
Have a gay day!

K Jack

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 19:44:16 »

This is something that does happen to me as well whenever i play Titanic in free roaming mode, i think departing Southampton (Solent) heading into the Atlantic Ocean (or is it New York). I kind of update the system a bit, going from 3GB of RAM to 4GB. Would that make any difference? 
Captain Jack, explorer of seven seas.

sadsid († 2016)

• IN MEMORIAM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 21:19:48 »

Hi
Adding more ram is always a good thing but its only if you have win 7 64bit
32 will only recognize up to 4.
                                                                                           Eric
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines