Hello Guest July 27, 2024, 08:34:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bridge of PRIDE OF ROTTERDAM  (Read 10850 times)

Jack Haworth

• Forum member

Shipaddict

• Forum member
Re: Bridge of PRIDE OF ROTTERDAM
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 19:48:05 »

Well they're better now tha  they were.

groennegaard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 20:18:49 »

The outside SS model is just beautiful, but when it comes the bridge interior, it's really disappointing. SS is often being compared with FS and such a comparison isn't always fair. But image a Boeing 737 cockpit without windows... or just having the side windows. Although possible, it would be rather difficult to land the plane.

This is actually how it is with the PoR. The lower fore and aft bridge wing windows are missing and the middle section windows should be extended so you can see the bow. It should alsoo be possible to walk all up to the front windows to get a good view of the bow. As it is now you can't even see the bow from the bridge! I always swing around with extreme care when leaving Rotterdam terminal...  ;)

It you have pictures showing the missing windows or the bridge interior, please post them here.

Regards
groennegaard

EDIT: Images added.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 20:24:50 by groennegaard »

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 20:20:37 »

Some of the computer equipment on the rear console looks positively ancient, I might add. ;)

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Subwolf

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 23:56:40 »

Talking about ancient equipment. Below you see a couple of bridge pics of the Prinsesse Ragnhild where I work. She was built in 1981, and not much has been replaced on the bridge. She is bigger than the Pride of Rotterdam, but as you can see the bridge got less space.

Maybe the Prinsesse Ragnhild's engines should be replaced as well, when looking at the smoke ;D
But she got two angry diesels developing some 24.000 hps and a cruise speed of 22 knots.

Btw, the officer relaxing very well in the chair is not me ;)

Lighthouse

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 01:13:37 »

Hi all,

Well I don't have the game (YET...) so this is what the real Pride of Rotterdam's bridge looks like, right?

So what does the simulator's Pride of Rotterdam's bridge look like, picture/s would be appriciated.

Thanks,

Bon Voyage,

Lighthouse
The lighthouse, added in the 1820s to aid navigation for vessels using the deep water channels. It is still in use today and plays a central role in the navigational system for ships entering coastal Harbours.

sniperonthehill

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 06:51:22 »

Yeah its disappointing, the bridge is the one of the most important parts of a ship and to have a simulator without a properly detailed bridge doesnt make it realistic! but give it time and i think we should see a marked improvement  ;D

groennegaard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 07:11:31 »

Well I don't have the game (YET...) so this is what the real Pride of Rotterdam's bridge looks like, right?
So what does the simulator's Pride of Rotterdam's bridge look like, picture/s would be appriciated.

Hi Lighthouse :)

These pictures are from v1.0 but the windows and the colours haven't changed with the v1.1 patch.

Regards
groennegaard

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 10:46:00 »

Well, I'm going on Pride of Bilbao next week... There is an odd bridge set up. You can see it was built in an era when... paper was more important than a pc ;)

sadly, it is very rare indeed that they allow bridge visits these days. I do wish they would be honest about their motives- more that it disrupts the running of the ship and is sod all to do with terrorism. I doubt that the average ship passenger- myself included- would learn enough from a bridge visit to be of use to a terrorist or ship jacker (especially when P&O plaster their website with photos of the bridge).

Yet they insist on leaving 'crew only' access doors wide open, unguarded above the engineering deck...

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

traktor_boy93

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 18:34:46 »

we don´t have a coffee mascin ;D

//Erik

Subwolf

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 23:21:57 »

Yet they insist on leaving 'crew only' access doors wide open, unguarded above the engineering deck...
Stu

I don't know about P&O, but in Color Line there is a strict policy. All crew areas are locked and only crewmembers who got business there can enter using a keycard. But general alarm will open all these doors.

When it comes to visitors on the bridge its all up to the captain, he's the king of his ship, he's even above the company management.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007, 00:19:43 »

Of course the skipper is- after all, he's the one the company management will blame when it all goes wrong.

In fairness, they have tightened up security, but when they leave doors and hatches open like that- the hatch under deck 2 stairs (from my estimate on the ship diagram) was into the air con and desalination plant and that leads to the ecr.

I think they have improved things a little now though :)

Stu

ferryenthusiast

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 13:43:16 »

Subwolf is correct, Bridge Visits are always up to the Captain on the day. 

I have full clearence to obtain Bridge Visits on a large number of ships.  I think in the past 12 months I have visited all the P&O and DFDS Passenger ships bridges and each time I have needed to have email support from Head Office first which basically acts as security clearence.

Coming back to the PoR bridge, you can get a very good view from the front windows and you do feel very high up.

One thing I did notice from the scenarios on SS2008 is that the channel does not seem wide enough as there is normally another ferry opposite the terminal berth and the ships do tend to get close when swinging off the berth but the width could be my mind playing tricks.

As an aside - excellent game.

Subwolf

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2007, 22:42:24 »

Yes, it's a good idea to ask for permission from head office before knocking on the captain's door. But there are usually no problems as long as the ship is in open waters without heavy traffic.

I remember a father and son who visited the bridge of my ship where I work. We were about to make a small turn and the captain allowed the boy to do it after a quick instruction. That was the happiest moment of that boy's life :D

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2007, 15:15:09 »

I've just been informed that there is as much chance of water skiing behind as there is getting up on the bridge these days at P&O.

But he did agree with Subwolf, that a letter weeks in advance can sometimes pull off a miracle. Shame I'm going in the middle of winter- he said anything other than nice calm mid summer daylight hours was an even bigger miracle.

Stu

J3nsen

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2007, 18:12:29 »

Bad, Vstep has not made the bridge orginal! :(

groennegaard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2007, 18:32:53 »

Bad, Vstep has not made the bridge orginal! :(

I think it would be too much to demand an exact copy of the original, but those details of importance to a simulator should absolutely be there and I think windows are very important...  ;)

Regards
groennegaard
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines