Hello Guest April 25, 2024, 18:52:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Something unique  (Read 7484 times)

Third Mate

• Forum member
Something unique
« on: September 10, 2011, 10:20:48 »

A very unique design that I have not found anyone talking about here is the SWATH design in another words the Small-waterplane-area twin hull.This was invented by Canadian Frederick G. Creed, who presented his idea in 1938, and was later awarded a British patent for it in 1946. It was first used in the 1960s and 1970s as an evolution of catamaran design for use in oceanographic research vessels or submarine rescue ships. I think it's fascinating, I think this sort of ship design would look good here in SSE as well, can be any ship preferably small though.

Third

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

Ballast

• Global Moderator
Re: Something unique
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 10:39:50 »

This subject has been discussed many times in the past - in fact Fred even made a 3D model of the SWATH that's been used by the Dutch pilots! You can find it at the modeling subforum :)
It's the crew that makes the difference

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 13:04:06 »

Yup, not a totally unknown subject..   it would be nice to have one in SSE, given it's unique nature. Mine's not SSE worthy yet though. But I'm still planning on working on a better version of either this, or some other SWATH vessel.

;D

« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 13:06:54 by Mad_Fred »

mart

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 14:07:49 »

count me in for the pilots version .... top gedaan  :2thumbs:

dexter7

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 15:25:39 »

fred, can we see some more pictures?
My PC specs:
AMD Phenom II X4 965 (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
600W Power Supply
MSI N760 TF IV OC
8GB or RAM
Acer X213W ~ Cyberpower PC Gamer Ultra 2097 Desktop PC
Favorite games: Ship Simulators, MS Flight Sims, Railworks 3,

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 15:29:30 »

NOT sse worthy?

You mean it is too highly detailed? Why not put it in a simulator that can handle it, Fred?

Personally I've always thought that this is one of your best.
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 15:39:56 »

Thanks very much, gents!!!  :2thumbs:

Well Stu, yes.. it's too detailed, as a matter of fact.. hehe.. too poly heavy.  :doh:

I don't think there is a sim that can handle it as it is now..  :)    ..VS struggles onwards with 5fps when I try and play with it in there.. I haven't tried it in VSF yet, I only got that recently and not yet read up on how addons work in the new one, if I put the VS one in, it crashes on me.

And dexter, sure;
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 15:42:00 by Mad_Fred »

oceandream

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 15:45:11 »

this boat has my vote for a SUPER YES in SSE :o

Join Greenpeace virtual today
We need more members too keep out forum active

The Ferry King

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 15:50:28 »

Its nice having people posting ideas of ships they want in SSE but to keep things a bit tidy here its better to have a topic where people can post ships that they would like in SSE.. And i see that a topic like that already exists..

Why make a new topic about a ship you want in SSE that probably wouldnt go in SSE when you can post it in the new ship ideas topic for SSE.

It saves a lot more room and keeps the forum looking great.

I havent really seen that a request on the forum for a type of ship was actually accepted by Vstep and put in SSE.. The ferry pack was asked for by many people and Vstep themself had the plan in their heads to.. Why bother to ask for new ships and give Vstep pain to build more when they are very busy trying to get the CCC pack and other stuff done.. Why dont model it yourself and wait for another CCC (if that happens) Or something like CCC..

Vstep doesnt have 500 arms to build every ship a forum member asks for..

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 08:43:26 »

Fred, I had no idea you had some skill  :o looks pretty appetizing that boat of yours

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

larsdehaan

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 11:24:31 »

i like this one (cause im on that often)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdgoKAORnuQ

Wave Music

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 11:25:46 »

Yup, not a totally unknown subject..   it would be nice to have one in SSE, given it's unique nature. Mine's not SSE worthy yet though. But I'm still planning on working on a better version of either this, or some other SWATH vessel.

;D

Nice model.
keep it gnarly

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 16:58:47 »

Fred, it's probably the texturing that's doing the real damage to FPS.

Have you thought about trimming it back to make a "light" version that can go in VS?

It's a shame as if you look at the likes of FSX it can handle hellishly impressive graphics including detailed texture mapping and reflections etc.

TFK- this isn't a "I want XYZ in sse" thread, but one about a catamaran with big ideas. Freds excellent model is but one facet of the discussion about them.
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 21:17:08 »

Nah Stu, it's not the texturing, that's the lightest part of the whole thing.. In fact, I haven't even actually textured it apart from a few small areas, the rest is mostly plain colors that are 'painted on', so to speak. Okay it's still textures, but at least very small tilable ones.

It's the VERY high polycount that does the trick. The circular stuff is made up by too many segments, things like that. I don't have much time at the moment but I do plan to do something with it in the near future, if it works out, up.

Thanks for the kind words, and that goes for you other gents too!! Much appreciated!

Regards,
Fred
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines