Hello Guest September 28, 2024, 11:21:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Manoeuvring Skills mission fastest time  (Read 1971 times)

Caesar

• Forum member
Manoeuvring Skills mission fastest time
« on: September 22, 2007, 00:05:49 »

For the mission "Manoeuvring Skills" Najelo has recorded a fastest time of  0:16:10 on September 17, 2007. 

No matter what I try, it takes me around 16 minutes to go from the start of the mission to the 4 th waypoint (entering the Beneluxhaven.) I sail in a straight line from way point to way point, maximum speed.

After the 4th waypoint I can win some time by improving my skills but as long as I dont reach that 4th way point faster I never come close to this fastest time.

What's the trick? What do I do wrong?
Someone haven any tips? Is ther an option to let the ship(s) sail faster?

(Offcourse I agree that this game is not only about speed, but still............)
 :-\

Jackal

• Forum member
Re: Manoeuvring Skills mission fastest time
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 02:08:57 »

Some of the missions were modified after someone set the record and are now longer to play. Consequently, it's not possible anymore to reach that fastest time, unless these records are "reset" so that everyone can play the same mission (at the same conditions, I mean).
Ciao,

Corrado

sadsid († 2016)

• IN MEMORIAM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 13:26:48 »

Towing missions the times for these missions i wondered why people were getting fast times for these missions
The answer is THEY DO NOT TOW THE VESSEL/RIG  ???
I tryed a lot of the missions doing it properly i/e massive job sherpa time 36 mins
released sherpa straight away carried on to each way point time 7mins
So i hope there is some way that future missions if you do not tow the vessel /rig you will not finish the
mission unless you complete it properly
THIS worked on all the towing missions i tryed    I personally like to do the missions as they are made because
that is the challenge behind each one and i hate to think that the time and effort put in by beta testers and
member's to make them is wasted by cheating  ::)
I never worry about the time its enjoying the mission but i know some member's seam to get a bit upset when
they see these but hope fully given time it will be sorted  ;)

Jeffers

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 15:43:56 »

Lots of missions have times posted that are very unrealistic. It was the same in Shipsim 2006. There are some players who treat the simulator as an arcade game and charge about at speeds that would never be done in the real shipping world, because it would be too dangerous or break traffic rules in harbours.

There was some discussion about making a different scoring system, but it is difficult to see how this could be achieved.

I believe the best thing is to just play the game your own way and ignore what other people do. This of course also applies to those who just want to speed about, as long as they realise that they are not playing the simulator in the true spirit of seamanship as it would be in the real world.

mvsmith

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 15:52:50 »

Aye.

steveboston

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 17:38:41 »

In the mission 'Massive Towing Job' I found that the 'AI' sailors are just as bad at rushing about like lunatics. I played the mission properly - stayed connected with both Sherpas, got them balanced with just enough helm set onboard each to keep a good towing geometry. It took ages to get to the waypoints but I persevered.

Then it seemed that a whole load of dangerous cargo ship and tanker drivers queued up nearby to try and ram either the tugs or the rig. Of course it aint quite so easy to manoeuvre a grillion ton three vessel combination just like that - so you would expect even large vessels (who have an entire ocean to play in) to stand well clear. I saw the Lattitude hit a Vermeer, which then hit my rig and stopped next to it. Also three cargo jockeys tried to hit my Sherpas and one managed a 10% damage bow clout. So that was my reward for not cheating. If I had, then I could have dodged them all and also finished the mission well before Mrs B gets to the knife-throwing stage.
Great fun though (er that is the sim AND the knife throwing) 
Somewhere over the rainbow,
weigh a pie.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines