Hello Guest May 01, 2024, 09:41:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what do i need to upgrade?  (Read 3786 times)

franz32

• Forum member
what do i need to upgrade?
« on: July 07, 2011, 00:30:32 »

so i tried the demo for SSE and it was lagging quite a bit, even on low settings. i really enjoy the two previous games and i really want to play this version. i have attached my dxdiag and i would appreciate any recommendation and what needs to be upgraded. i recently upgraded from 1gb to 4gb of ram, everything else is stock.

vin_sun

• Global Moderator
Re: what do i need to upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 07:12:03 »

Hello Franz,

Welcome to the Forum !

It's encouraging to note that you wish to acquire Ship Simulator Extremes. One of the primary concerns should be the suitability of your existing computer to run the Simulator smoothly.

I have taken a look at the Dxdiag you have posted and unfortunately it is not suitable due to two main components.

- the processor's clock speed of 2.2 Ghz is rather low as 3.0 Ghz is what is normally recommended.

- the graphics card is extremely low on memory. The one which SSE requires stands at a rank of 88 and your   stands at 867

Your Windows Vista and the quantity of main RAM is suitable though.

I suppose HP will be able to tell you if you can upgrade the above two components or not. A word of caution here - you may have to replace the PSU (power supply unit) too, to support the graphics card recommended for SSE.

When you eventually do decide to buy SSE, I would strongly recommend that your first choice should be the DVD from www.shipsim.com OR the download version from the same website. There is another version through the Steam website but quite some users have had complaints. You may be able to buy the DVD from a store in the U.S. (physical or online) but in all probability you will have to use Steam to install it. Please check this carefully.

Please see attachment for the System Requirements of SSE.

That you mention you "enjoy the two previous games", I assume they are SS 2006 and SS 2008. Please register their License Keys in your Profile in this Forum and you will have access to all boards of the Forum. You can also get lots of free custom missions for SS 2008.

Regards
vin_sun
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 07:22:23 by vin_sun »
Land was created to provide a place for boats to visit.

franz32

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 18:36:40 »

thanks, that is what i thought i needed but im new to doing all this stuff so i just wanted to double check. i already have a power supply and graphics card picked out, i just need to find a compatible processor. Any recommendations? the socket is am2 for the processor.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 18:40:28 by franz32 »

Snakebyte92

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 19:30:40 »

thanks, that is what i thought i needed but im new to doing all this stuff so i just wanted to double check. i already have a power supply and graphics card picked out, i just need to find a compatible processor. Any recommendations? the socket is am2 for the processor.
I recommend to change your motherboard aswell to am3 or am3+(or an intel). Why is just because am2 is almost to EOL(end-of-life). You can better upgrade your pc in once, than doing it twice. ::)
If you need any help with finding a good solution. I'm at your service  ;D
Cadet Holland America Line

franz32

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 19:43:16 »

ya i was just looking at processors briefly and it seemed like a motherboard upgrade would be better. because im new to this stuff, any advice would be appreciated. this is kind of a dumb question but when you upgrade a motherboard, is it like starting from scratch with files, or in other words do the files get deleted like a restore or is it as simple as taking the old one out and putting the new one in?

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 20:00:03 »

Hi franz, with all the stuff you need replacing, I would consider getting a new computer..
Less trouble, and most likely cheaper.. :)

franz32

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 20:54:32 »

ya i probably should but i just bought a new macbook and i dont really want to go out and buy a brand new pc. i basicly got the desktop in 06 when i was living at home and was younger and didnt have a good computer for school work, so my parents got us this cheap crappy computer just for basic stuff, this was well before i was into pc gaming (i usually use my ps2 and ps3). so now that i have a macbook for all my work, i have this pc for gaming. i no its life wont last much longer but i dont think i will end up getting another for a few years now, unless my parents buy which they prob wont. so honestly i think i will stick with my motherboard, just get $100 3ghz am2 processor http://www.google.com/products/catalog?client=safari&rls=en&q=am2+socket+processors&oe=UTF-8&um=1&hl=en&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1280&bih=533&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=14700894159647142373&sa=X&ei=dA0WTrTvCMKisQL6toVE&ved=0CK4BEPMCMAM#ps-sellers and then get a 500w power supply http://www.amazon.com/CoolerMaster-RS500-PCARA3-US-Extreme-500W-V2-3/dp/B001G0WPLK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1224782259&sr=1-2 and finally a graphics card http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-HD-5570-PCI-Express/dp/B0036ORMYE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309385211&sr=8-1 and that should take me to the end of this PC's life. and there will be a good amount of games i could play on it. i only play pc games if they dont have them on the ps3, or else i play on the ps3. so maybe an easier solution should be the vstep make ship sim on the ps3  ;D

vin_sun

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 22:02:43 »

Hello Franz,

Since you want to continue with your current PC for valid reasons, I would say your choices for the processor, PSU and the graphic card is suitable to run SSE.

Changing your motherboard is "viewed" by Windows as if it is a new PC. When you install a legal version of Windows it recognizes some data from the motherboard and it is included in the registration. A new motherboard will have different data and your existing Windows OS (provided you have the DVD) will get installed but there will be a possibility that you may get constant "nag" messages that your OS may be an illegal version  and you will also not receive any updates.

Well, if you are comfortable with upgrading your current PC you can proceed. Why have you opted to buy your components from Amazon ? Wouldn't it be better if you bought them from www.newegg.com or www.tigerdirect.com ?

Regards
vin_sun

franz32

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 22:31:06 »

ok thanks, i found the components on newegg.com, but i will get them cheaper on amazon so i will order through them. i am a prime member for amazon so i get discounts plus free 2 day shipping.

Snakebyte92

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 09:39:51 »

Hello Franz,

I only noticed one thing, the videocard HD 5570 is not so good as the Radeon HD 4850. It's even twice as worse as the HD 4850. So I don't think you will be able to play SSE so good with it, or even not. So you could maybe get something else if you don't already bought it.

Snaky

franz32

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 22:10:03 »

Ok thanks for the heads up, I haven't bought it yet. Maybe I'll just go with the radeon hd 4850 then. Unless you have any other recommendations that aren't too pricey

vin_sun

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 03:35:14 »

Ok thanks for the heads up, I haven't bought it yet. Maybe I'll just go with the radeon hd 4850 then. Unless you have any other recommendations that aren't too pricey

Stay with the 5000 series since you have budgetary concerns. An HD 5670 or an HD 5770 should be good enough.

franz32

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2011, 05:47:36 »

ok thanks alot for all the help, i really appreciate it

Snakebyte92

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2011, 08:10:17 »

ok thanks alot for all the help, i really appreciate it
If you want to go for some more "safety" I would recommend the HD 5770.

vin_sun

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2011, 10:31:22 »

If you want to go for some more "safety" I would recommend the HD 5770.

I have an HD 5670 installed and I have had no problems and SSE is running quite well.

If you check at newegg.com - an HD 5670 costs $57 at the lowest and the HD 5770 at the lowest costs $ 115

franz32

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2011, 14:42:26 »

ya vin, if you run it fine on a 5670 i think i will go with that, its much cheaper compare to the 5770, thanks

Snakebyte92

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2011, 15:37:34 »

I have an HD 5670 installed and I have had no problems and SSE is running quite well.

If you check at newegg.com - an HD 5670 costs $57 at the lowest and the HD 5770 at the lowest costs $ 115
I'm not familair with it I just check the videocard benchmarks. So that's why. ;D

coryt415

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2011, 18:10:10 »

That HD 4850 (I have the XFX Radeon hd4850 ) mind you still isent perfect..I have mine slightly overclocked and its still not "Perfectly smooth" havent checked my FPS in-game yet but its perfectly playable with it..Might not be able to max it out on 1920x1080 without some jumping in certain areas like bora bora 

coryt415

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2011, 18:11:46 »

But.. I just read that SSE dosent use more than one core so that could be my problem.. three cores dont do much good if only ones kickin  >:(

VirtualSkipper

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2011, 02:12:04 »

I don't think you will make much friends with spamming.  :P
"There is a plaque laid next to the remnants of the Titanic which reads, "Only Chuck Norris is unsinkable"
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines