Hello Guest April 20, 2024, 14:34:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Am I doning something wrong or is SSE really just unplayable?  (Read 5857 times)

lloyd709

• Forum member

I've got a very powerful rig - 2600K Sandybridge chip, 8 gig of memory and GTX580 graphics card running windows 7.

I start off with about 30 fps which then slows gradually to 3 or 4 frames a second within about 15 minutes - that's correct, 3 or 4 frames per second.  I get about 150 fps from xplane,  over 200 fps from Call of Duty both with maxed out graphics and etc etc from other games.

There has to be something wrong getting 4 fps from SSE!!

I'm playing on steam with the latest updates installed.  Am I missing something?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 15:08:03 by lloyd709 »

Snakebyte92

• Forum member
Re: Am I doning something wrong or is SSE really just unplayable?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 15:12:26 »

I have to agree it's very odd. Even I get with my Intel core 2 duo E8400 a lot more fps.

Something I wanna tell you first is that SSE is still in devolepement, so don't expect more than 40fps at the moment.

Maybe you could re-install the game, and be sure that the game is on v1.3.5. Especially with steam I heard that the automatic updating isn't very "normal"
And update your videocard?

I'm not really sure what's the problem. But maybe start with this.

Snaky

BTW add your key to your forum account. Just press the profile button on top. And scroll down.
Cadet Holland America Line

Bukko

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 22:34:20 »

I have had the same problems with memory loading of somekind with SSE. I have a very powerful rig similar to yours.
I've gotten to the point where I don't play SSE anymore.....until they fix it.  

BTW SSE does not take advantage of our multi core CPU's and it will not take advantage of SLI. These are facts stated by VSTEP.

Try SS 2008 CE or Vehicle Simulator.  

Best of luck
Craig
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 22:37:25 by Bukko »

lloyd709

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 00:01:59 »

Thanks guys

I had not heard of Vehicle Simulator before.  I've taken a quick look at it online but can't tell how it compares to SS 2008 because I have not played this either.  Do you know how it compares?

Shipmate101

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 04:40:51 »

Hi lloyd709

I play vehicle simulator alot and find that SSE has its pros and cons against it. For example SSE has much better quality graphics compared to VSF as you could tell from a screenshot of the game and SSE has a better wake system. VSF has the ability for people to just place there own vessels in the game and has a library of many different vehicles. Another good thing about VSF is that the scenery areas are alot bigger in some cases. Another good thing that VSF has is that you could for example land an aircraft on an aircraft carrier at sea. In my opinion I cant choose between either as the both have there Pros and Cons.

Kind Regards
Shipmate101
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 04:42:54 by Shipmate101 »

Bukko

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 06:53:12 »

HI shipmate101,

I think it's a matter of which style graphics a person would prefer. SSE and VSF have different looks to them and the ambience of the sea (the way it feels and looks) is different in each game. There are many instances where VSF looks better. SSE's water looks better overall because it captures the "vastness" of the sea but that alone doesn't make up for the complete lack of, or poor implementation of important "simulator" features that VSF has (GPS Radar Deph Sounding....ETC.) Plus as you mentioned..... the global scenery package that gives you basic global topology for the oceans.

I hope that VSTEP follows VSF's lead on these other items. They keep me coming back to VSF.

Craig

Shipmate101

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 10:57:27 »

Hi Craig

That is what i was trying to get at they both have pros and cons and i am with you on on the ideas that VSTEP could implement into SSE. Where did you get those vessels in the screenshots from.

Kind Regards
Shipmate101
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 10:59:02 by Shipmate101 »

Mr Robville

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 12:45:09 »

from what i can tell from this topic:
http://80.95.161.114/shipsim/forum/index.php/topic,25735.0.html

it seems the FPS will not be increased as this aint importand enough.
people rather watch a slideshow with nice graphics than a smooth game with nice graphics i guess (some people get 15 FPS or lower, some even 10, and they are being told that it's not Call of duty so FPS is not importand)

it's a game! not a movie. anyway, i could be mad about the fact that (almost) everyone denies the fact that the FPS is too low, but what's the point, i can't convice them, so i guess we all have to assume the FPS won't get any higher than 30FPS for state of the art computers.

fueldrockets

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 22:27:35 »

Thanks guys

I had not heard of Vehicle Simulator before.  I've taken a quick look at it online but can't tell how it compares to SS 2008 because I have not played this either.  Do you know how it compares?

I played ship sim 2008 on the same comp as the SSE an it is waay better smother its awesome jus dosnt have the large selection of ships that SSE has, when I play the SSE its more laggy an it feels like its on slow motion jus dosnt even compare to the shipsim 2008..

Bukko

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 00:19:03 »

Hi Craig

That is what i was trying to get at they both have pros and cons and i am with you on on the ideas that VSTEP could implement into SSE. Where did you get those vessels in the screenshots from.

Kind Regards
Shipmate101

Check your PM.

Shipmate101

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 04:04:25 »

Hi Craig

Thanks for the link great vessels.

Kind Regards
Shipmate101

MokMok

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 10:34:41 »

@Bukko:
I think it's a matter of which style graphics a person would prefer. SSE and VSF have different looks to them and the ambience of the sea (the way it feels and looks) is different in each game. There are many instances where VSF looks better. SSE's water looks better overall because it captures the "vastness" of the sea but that alone doesn't make up for the complete lack of, or poor implementation of important "simulator" features that VSF has (GPS Radar Deph Sounding....ETC.) Plus as you mentioned..... the global scenery package that gives you basic global topology for the oceans.

I hope that VSTEP follows VSF's lead on these other items. They keep me coming back to VSF.

VSF is that Virtual Sailor or is it the successor Vehicle Simulator?

Shipmate101

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 15:32:21 »

Hi MokMok

VSF is vehicle simulator

Regards Shipmate

MokMok

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2011, 16:06:38 »

Does VSF have a good performance, better than SSE?

Bukko

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2011, 22:10:12 »

Yes it does...... and it's completely configurable. You can also create your own models.

I'm currently working on some really nice hovercrafts for VSF.

There are some really nice vessels available and more are coming.

Download the demo and don't be fooled by the basic models that come with the demo. There is some excellent, affordable payware vessels out there. If you want more info PM me and I'll give you some great links to get started.

Craig

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2011, 02:56:34 »

HI shipmate101,

Craig

That's spot on Bukko

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

Thor2

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2011, 09:11:45 »

Does VSF have a good performance, better than SSE?

Yes if It is ok for you to play with the bad standard ships and scenerys!! No if you are "buying" some good ships and ad some "better" scenerys!!
VSF is not so bad but It's not a game, its a Editor for privat-developers! Yes, I think VSF could be a very good Simulator, basics like Radar, GPS, depth-sounder and autopilot are on bord and working well. But for a modern simulator Game you need more.

Regards

Thor

Bukko

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2011, 09:52:07 »

Yes if It is ok for you to play with the bad standard ships and scenerys!! No if you are "buying" some good ships and ad some "better" scenerys!!
VSF is not so bad but It's not a game, its a Editor for privat-developers! Yes, I think VSF could be a very good Simulator, basics like Radar, GPS, depth-sounder and autopilot are on bord and working well. But for a modern simulator Game you need more.

Regards

Thor

Hi Thor,

You owe it to yourself to check out the latest Vessels for VSF. The ships look great, they have functional instruments plus all of the other great things that you mentioned about VSF. VSF runs alot better on my machine with the detailed third party ships than SSE. I'll admit there's not that much scenery out there available for VSF but I like the sim for the sea...

If you look hard enough there are some decent scenery packages. The basic world scenery package maps the oceans of the world in VSF. You can circumnavigate the globe in the seas!

VSF is improving with each update. I've started modeling really detailed hovercrafts and airboats for the sim. It will be a while before they are ready but it is so great to be able to model a craft and then import the craft into a sim like VSF.

The fact that SSE has locked out the 3rd party developer means that SSE is a dead space. I promise you that the best addon ship modelers for VSF are as good or better than the modelers for SSE. They may even be some of the same crew.... who knows. There are some excellent ships that are very well optimised in VSF. They run very well.

Craig

Thor2

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2011, 12:47:25 »

Hallo Bukko,

Could It be that we are a bit of topic? ;)

Yes I agree with you there are a few very good ships with good dynamics for vsf. But for me It is also Importand to have some good areas with nice ports in a game, and thats the problem.

It's "easy" to use dem-files and create a basic scenery. But to create a good looking scenery with harbour, docks, citys and all the navigation aids is very hard and time expensive.
I am testing my Scenerys with the VSF engine. For this test I take also a look at the performance, I am using the the best ships for this test. I think Its important that we could use more than 10 ships in one area.
I am not a good modeller, but I know how hard It is to create such scenerys beside the real job, familie and all other. So I think we need some professionals for such job.
The Scenerys, ships and water from Shipsim and the open world with navigation aids from vsf- marine sim, I think this could be a good basic. ;)

Regards

Thor

Bukko

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2011, 22:55:05 »

Thor,

I think you're doing a great job with the scenery. My biggest problem with SSE is the fact that it is closed to third party developement. That will kill the game.

I agree with you on the fact that it is difficult and time consuming to model good scenery for VSF.... it's that way for FSX, Xplane and any other program I know of..but the beauty in those other programs is that you have the ability to try.

I have monthly correspondence with the author of VSF on developement of the new hovercraft vehicle type for a future release of VSF. He is utilizing my WIP hovercraft models to assist in the process. The author has a life outside of VSF but he does find the time to respond and work with customers that want to help improve his product and ultimately grow his sales. VSTEP has no intention of facilitating that kind of customer input. They are too busy with the professional line of their product.

I agree with you about having the perfect mix of the 2 products but it's never gonna happen on the VSTEP. They are too busy with their pro line.

In the mean time VSF just keeps getting better and will draw more customers as time goes on.

Craig

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2011, 08:12:21 »

Only think with VSF if you want realistic things they will be payware but if you really know what you want the price will not be an object.

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

fytech

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2011, 22:12:25 »

So no solution for the lag/slow-down problem? Hmm.. Well believe I have to go over to VSF tough it's a shame that it does not have the free walk on the deck and the damage-options SSE has. 

mvsmith

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2011, 23:14:30 »

Fytech, I think you are on the wrong topic. The one you started about your problem is this one:
http://80.95.161.114/shipsim/forum/index.php/topic,26138.0.html

Also, you still have not registered your serial key in your forum profile. You can’t get any help until you do.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines