Hello Guest April 26, 2024, 00:58:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New computer and SSE  (Read 1782 times)

weejam

• Forum member
New computer and SSE
« on: May 25, 2011, 14:34:52 »

Ok, it's been a while but I just had to get a new computer due to a hard drive failure of my old one. I have 3.0 ghz processor, Radeon 4200 video card, 1 tb harddrive and 4 gigs of ram. SS 08 runs flawlessly with everything maxed out on the graphics options in game. I was kinda gettin' tired of all the dragging and low frame rates and kind of left it alone for a while. I installed it last night in the new one and man, the difference between night and day. Ok now for the question. Is the demo any indication of how SSE will run on my machine? I would kind of like to know before I shell out the big bucks on SSE. Any help or suggestions is really greatly appreciated.

vin_sun

• Global Moderator
Re: New computer and SSE
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 14:44:47 »

Hello Weejam,

Yes, it would be a wise move on your part to try out the demo version first to figure how it runs on your new PC.

Your specs regarding the processor and RAM are quite suitable to run but I would still like to confirm if the model of the graphics card will be suitable. Could you please give some more details. SSE recommends the Radeon HD 4850 as a minimum.

.... and please DO NOT buy SSE as a Steam version. I strongly recommend the DVD version direct from www.shipsim.com ...... more about this after I hear from you again.

Regards
vin_sun
Land was created to provide a place for boats to visit.

vin_sun

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 14:57:22 »

Hello again Weejam,

Further to my reply I did check out the Radeon HD 4200 on a ranking site.

The HD 4850 stands at 58 and the HD 4200 stands at 556. In those terms the HD 4200 is a firm NO for SSE. I could advise you on a suitable card depending on your budget.

Regards
vin_sun

weejam

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 15:03:21 »

Thanks for the reply vin_sun. I am going to install the demo in just a moment and see how it works and then either make the purchase or stick with SS08. Like I said earlier, I almost had to call an ambulance last night when trying SS08 with the new machine. It really surprised me cause I had no idea it would run that smooth. I would assume that my frame rates with everything maxed in game are above 30fps constantly with no dropping that I can notice. I'm going to try the demo and see. Who knows I might jsut get lucky.

weejam

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 13:08:29 »

Well I tried the Demo version and it runs about like SS08 did on my old computer. It might be liveable since I lived with SS08 since it pretty much first came out. But right now SS08 seems like a new game for me because of the frame rates so I will probably stick with it for a while longer. Vin_sun, what video card would be best for SSE? Eventually I will get bored of 08 and the money monster will kick in.

vin_sun

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 13:31:19 »

Hello Weejam,

You could go in for any of the ATI Radeon Series 5xxx (starting with HD 5670) or Series 6xxx cards, but it is entirely dependent on your budget. You will certainly get a decent card in the range of $100 ~ $200.

That you are quite enjoying SS 2008, I hope you have in all, almost 500 missions to toy around with.

Do get in touch if you need further help.

Regards
vin_sun

weejam

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 14:30:08 »

I sure appreciate the info and help you have provided vin_sun. One more question though, how hard is it to install a video card? Is it like adding RAM where it just slips into a slot or are there a bunch of little wire connections and you have to be grounded and all that stuff? Man, I wish Vstep would make a crappy sim just once because the wife is starting to complain a little about credit card bills, new computers and all that other stuff. ;) She's probably going to hit the roof when I tell her I want a better video card in a brand new computer. :o What's sad is that the games I like, you can't just go to Wal-Mart or Target and get them off the shelf. You are pretty much limited to having to buy them online with a credit card. Thanks again for all the help.

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 16:18:38 »

Hi weejam, changing videocards is pretty much as simple as adding RAM.. :)

vin_sun

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 20:45:06 »

Hi Weejam,

It's not really hard .... maybe a bit above child's play !  :lol: Here are some You Tube videos which will show you how to install a PCI-e graphics card:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2M_UqO4cz4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTFNXxHvn8w&feature=related

Most new computers will have the PCI- e (express) slot. However, a word of caution. Graphic cards are quite dependent on a good PSU (power supply unit). Would you know which one you have and what is the wattage ? A unit of 550 ~ 600 watts would be good.

Yes, Vstep products are rarely available off the shelf. I got SSE shipped from Holland to India and it cost me $67/- Well, it's a lot better than getting a Steam version (which is a little cheaper) as it is facing quite some problems.

Feel free to get back to me if you need any assistance.

Regards
vin_sun
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines