Hello Guest April 19, 2024, 23:27:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: a 4 year baker aprentace ?  (Read 1423 times)

Third Mate

• Forum member
a 4 year baker aprentace ?
« on: May 19, 2011, 08:24:40 »

In two months I turn 20, seems that that It's not as easy as back in the day getting a job or a first career. But I did find something which I could even get a job on a ship as. It's a baker, at this mall in a big supermarket there was an add about giving someone an opportunity to be a fully qualified baker but It will be on a length of 4 years  :o.  If you do the math, I will be 24 in 4 years, should I sacrifice 4 years off my life to get qualified as a baker ??? I have 3 day's to drop them my CV to show interest. Suppose here the main concern here is that 4 years will fly and I was not planning to age as fast, what do you guy's think?

Third

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
Re: a 4 year baker aprentace ?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 08:50:26 »

I think this was more of a chat lounge topic, but that was easily solved hehe,..

Seriously, I think you're probably the best person to answer that, yourself.

What do YOU want to do? And in getting to that position, are there other options too? I don't know if being a baker is something that's in very high demand in the nautical world, so to speak. If you wanna do something on ships, there's bound to be other areas as wlel in which to get a fair bit of training, certainly in 4 years time.

All depends on what you want to do.. do you want to be a baker? then you should go for it..  but if it's just something on the off chance of someday baking fresh bread each morning for cruise ship passengers.. well..  I'm not even sure if those people aren't much more than just bakers, more like, all-round cooks/kitchen staff kinda people. After all, it's not like they have to bake bread 24/7 on a ship. Or do they? I really don't know.. I would think only on the largest cruiseships would there be a lot of baking. :)

Time will indeed fly, as you say..  hence it's all the more important that you do something that you yourself are happy with and that you can achieve your goals with. If you don't already say 'yes! that's the chance I need!', then you might not even like it anymore after 2 years.. and that would be a waste of time.

Might not be easy to find a job these days.. but to commit for something for 4 years, without being sure you even want to, might be something to think twice about. It's always a good thing to become qualified and proficient in one's work. But it's so much better if you actually like what you do.

And no one else can answer that for you, wether or not you'll like it. :)

Either way, good luck with that!!  :thumbs:

Fred

saltydog

• Forum member
Re: a 4 year baker aprentace ?
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 09:29:03 »

Here is a list of cruise ship jobs..
As you can see, a baker is required to have at least 2 years restaurant/hotel experience..
I'm not sure shopping-mall experience would make much of an impression..

http://www.cruiseshipjob.com/galley.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines