Hello Guest March 28, 2024, 19:21:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Question! please reply before wensday  (Read 2505 times)

oceandream

• Forum member
A Question! please reply before wensday
« on: April 18, 2011, 23:38:39 »

Ok..
This wensday my school is going to a beach
Here's the point

The ship "Blue marlin" wich is registered in Willemstad came to curacao this early morning around 1AM
but she had a giant oil rig on here back, the tugs towed the rig to the beach where my school is going to

Now allot people complain about oil being at that beach due to allot of ships more at the pier
wich is about 500 meters infron of the beach

If i go swimming and oil would be on me...Would i get veery sick or not, or what would be the results of oil on me  :-\?
I want to know what would happen if oil in the beach from the oil rig would stick on me..

Reply before wensday please :(

Kind Regards
Oceandream

Join Greenpeace virtual today
We need more members too keep out forum active

assassinator2.0

• Forum member
Re: A Question! please reply before wensday
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 23:49:41 »

ehh i wouldnt go in the water if i were you just to make sure :)
"He that boasts of his own knowledge proclaims his ignorance" -Author Unknown

"If a tidal wave hits LA just grab a fake boob for safety" -Sarah Michelle Gellar

oceandream

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 00:00:55 »

well thanks for you suggestion :S

Join Greenpeace virtual today
We need more members too keep out forum active

LucAtC

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 01:34:43 »

Hello oceandream,

Shouldn't you consider listening to your teachers, it is probably not as if it was the first oil spill in the neighbourhood.
Some information for the workers at risk during the Gulf oil spill. Contact with oily sludge should be avoided, but oil can be smelled, is visible and doesn't mix easily with water. Traces of oil can be washed with water and soap without problem, sticky tar can be easily dissolved with baby or olive oil, butter, soft margarine, any skin friendly nonpolar fluid before washing.

Regards,
Luc

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 02:09:34 »

You could do, but you will look like an endanger species like this  ;D but you could do is to not make the field trip boring is to get your own sample of crude oil in like a jar or bottle that you can close. Make sure you wash off any excess oil off the bottle or jar, and it can only be a small amount  ;)

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

vin_sun

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 06:44:47 »

Now allot people complain about oil being at that beach due to allot of ships more at the pier
wich is about 500 meters infron of the beach

It is a bit surprising that the authorities in Curacao are not doing much about this pollution. With strict MARPOL rules in force I wonder how this is happening even. Seafarers are extremely careful in ports and avoid any form of pollution due to the risk of heavy fines and imprisonment.

I have visited Curacao and it is indeed a lovely place. I hope the laid back attitude of the authorities doesn't eventually give Curacao a bad name.

If there is even the slightest trace of oil in the water, just don't venture into it. If you accidentally swallow a small amount it could result in health problems.
Land was created to provide a place for boats to visit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines