Hello Guest March 28, 2024, 18:18:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it worth it?  (Read 6191 times)

12heki

• Forum member
Is it worth it?
« on: April 13, 2011, 01:01:07 »

Hi I'm new to these fourms but I wanted to know something:

ship simulator extremes or virtural sailor 7 or Professional Ship Simulator?

Please reply and tell reassons. Thx!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 01:05:40 by 12heki »

oceandream

• Forum member
Re: Is it worth it?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 01:04:22 »

if you want realistic sailing

SSE is the game for you  :thumbs:

Join Greenpeace virtual today
We need more members too keep out forum active

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 02:24:25 »

Here you can download the demo's..  Decide for yourself..

http://www.hangsim.com/vs/

http://www.shipsim.com/downloads/demos

The Pro version of Ship Simulator is called Nautis Maritime Simulation, (it's a bit expensive)..  ;)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 03:48:32 by saltydog »

vin_sun

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 06:59:04 »

The Pro version of Ship Simulator is called Nautis Maritime Simulation, (it's a bit expensive)..  ;)

... "bit" expensive at € 3000 ??   ;D ;D
Land was created to provide a place for boats to visit.

vin_sun

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 07:04:34 »

Hi Heki,

As Saltydog has suggested .... do check out the demo. It will also reveal if your computer's config is suitable for running SSE. Please read the "System Requirements" for SSE before you buy the software.

Regards
vin_sun
Land was created to provide a place for boats to visit.

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 08:46:27 »

if you want realistic sailing

SSE is the game for you  :thumbs:

lol sailing, you can do that in sail simulator 5  :lol:

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 10:22:42 »

For all the talk of 'realism', can I ask how many of those making that comment have taken command of a real vessel?

Are we getting confused here between 'realistic' and 'believable'?

For example, MSFS is believable and (later versions) fairly realistic- For example, the aircraft I took my training in, I downloaded the MS model into MSFS and the configuration and flight controls were fairly close. And there was wind, weather, air traffic and in controlled airspace (I am not instrument rated, so I can't comment on its accuracy, but it SEEMS about right). If you can land in MSFS then you stand a good chance in the real world (though I landed my first aircraft LONG before mastering a landing in MSFS!)

But SS08 (not bought SSE on principle)... I am sure that technically the motion of the ship etc is scientifically accurate, but is it believable? Does it 'feel' right? Like most people here, I don't know as those good chaps at SeaFrance never let me near the controls.
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 12:34:03 »

Funny thing, I can feel the realism in Flight Sim X, but not yet in SSE, I would not jump to realism just yet I'd say

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 12:35:49 »

I take it you have flown a wide variety of airplanes in real life too, if you're able to make that connection?  :)

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 12:59:17 »

It's Fred! He's alive and well.

Do you mean me, there, Fred? If so I have flown only a Firefly (actually an acrobatic aircraft capable of 4+g and inverted flight (never again)) A Cessna 180 (like the one in MSFS but a tail dragger rather than trike) and 747-400... OK, I admit that the 747 was MSFS only.

But my overall feeling is that the Cessna 'felt' right (but you don't get the right feedback on the stick to really get a feel for the aircraft). The 747 I have no real idea of its realism, only its believability.

So my point is was the 747 any less fun because I wasn't sure it's 100% accurate? No because it scored well on believability. So in SSE/08 surely believability is more important than technical accuracy.

I mean what's the point of a 100% accurate dynamic engine and then nothing such as traffic separation and currents in Douvres harbour, for example?

NB not that it's a complaint, just an observation.
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 13:18:21 »

I feel certain that Fred was referring to Third Mate and not you Stuart. :doh:
As to realism in the simulators, this is obviously a matter of opinion. For example the SS2008 mission made by Marty called Titanic 2 (I think) was in fact possibly THE most realistic of any I came across. On the other hand, and possibly it is early days yet, some of the missions in SSE are not too marvellous. The actual handling of the ships, which the simulators are all about, is remarkably good in both SS2008 & SSE. The motion in a seaway too is very well reproduced. Even in SS2008 when players complained so bitterly about the waves not being realistic, the response of the ships to those waves was so good that, as a seafarer myself, I could really say that the work done in the development of the game was first rate. So in answer to "12heki" I would reply most emphatically that "Yes, it is worth it, and will, I think, get better still as time passes". As to Nautis the professional version of the game well that is out of the question and Virtual Sailor, I have no knowledge of, but having seen some of the stuff shown on this forum in the past I think that is a bit of a poor do in comparison to SSE. ::)

Angus.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 14:07:01 by Traddles »
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 14:00:00 »

Heya Stu!

I guess you can call it alive, yeah.  :)

Good to see you still around aswell.  :thumbs:

I was indeed referring to Third Mate's remark. But I do agree with your realism/believability analogy. I for one only have sailed on small motorboats, so I have no idea whatsoever what it is like to pilot a containervessel. I know what it feels like to be on board a big ferry, but have never been at the controls. So realism, I would not know, for sure.

But with such limited real life experience, a logical mind, a little bit of an understanding of physics and just common sense, you can indeed 'imagine' something, based on the size and power of a vessel and so on, and then indeed find something in a game believable. Feeling hasn't got all that much to do with it.

I'm grateful not to feel the realism in games. Cause I wouldn't like to get shot whenever I am playing Armed Assault.   :doh:

Fred

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 14:15:56 »

I take it you have flown a wide variety of airplanes in real life too, if you're able to make that connection?  :)

Kind off, for ship wise I have been on med sized navy diving ship, been on a re-supply tanker, taken the RHIB for a spin a few times. Flying wise I have only been on a 737 but, I am one of those people who can 'feel' the realism from nothing at all

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 14:20:55 »

Ah yeah, that type of person.. I know what you mean.

Vivid imagination, and all that..  ::)

Seriously, you can't feel and judge for realism, that which you have never REALLY done or felt before, and even if you could, there are forces at play that a pc cannot generate for you when you just sit at your desk. Doesn't happen, never will. The world real is in realism for a reason.  ;)

;D

Fred

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 13:26:11 »

Hello Fred, yes I'm alive and well too. Been busy.

I knew you were referring to Third Mate, but you should know by now that I'll look for any excuse for a good argument.

Angus, as probably the most experienced seafarer on this forum, your comments are I'm sure beyond value. I can only speak as an AMATEUR sailor (swimmer most of the time!). But I can speak from a computer user and commercial viewpoint and, expanding on my argument a little, making SS TOO realistic would not make for a good game. After all, the Captain would probably spend more time writing paperwork and corresponding with HO than actually commanding the bridge.

Perhaps a new spin off? "Paperwork simulator"

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2011, 14:21:09 »

Unfortunately it's not only the Master who's pushing papers around these days. It already starts a few steps down the ladder  :-\ After loading, our OOW needs about 2 hours for completing paperwork, cargo documents and such.
It's the crew that makes the difference

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2011, 15:28:12 »

Seafaring is NOT what it used to be. ::) I'm quite glad to be retired and an armchair sailor now. On general cargo ships as Second Mate, I used to have to produce a full cargo plan, in glorious detail, showing the location of every little parcel of cargo and it's port of destination whilst the Old Man was stomping up and down ready to leave our last port of loading. It frequently came close to angry words. :P The worst was loading tea in Mombasa, Kenya for UK. Every single pallet had to be clearly shown together with its cargo mark. The plan then had to be handed to the agent for posting to UK. I suppose if computers were then available it could have been sent by Email. !:)

Angus.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 15:35:51 by Traddles »
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2011, 16:05:01 »

Interesting to compare the traditional method and the modern method there, chaps.

No doubt all the paperwork is designed by someone who has never even SEEN a ship, let alone sailed on one.

Bromstarzan

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2011, 11:35:54 »

Another tip:
Try also the VSF demo.
It has no missions but a lot of freedom of sceneries, addon ships etc. Easy to make environments from real GIS data. Multiplayer is not very frequent but occur between community friends. It is more a "sandbox" game, but features a pretty good GPS navigation tool, chart plotting etc.

It is framerate friendly and renders waves and ship rolling nicely. Here are a few ships currently added
Hopper Dredger "Crane"
Sea Lady

Good luck! Hope to see you in SSE and/or VSF.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 11:42:18 by Bromstarzan »

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2011, 12:06:08 »

It is framerate friendly and renders waves and ship rolling nicely. Here are a few ships currently added
Hopper Dredger "Crane"
Sea Lady

[/quote]

holy molly thoes two are so realistic, never heard of this but will check it out

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines