Hello Guest September 23, 2024, 07:28:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Distance form AI ship to point entity?  (Read 1247 times)

krisostend

• Forum member
Distance form AI ship to point entity?
« on: April 12, 2011, 13:07:25 »

What is the max. distance beteen an AI ship and a point entity while creating a new mission?

mvsmith

Re: Distance form AI ship to point entity?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 13:26:29 »

Hi Kris,
I’ve not found there to be one. I’ve run an AI ship from Cowes to a single goal in Southampton.
Marty

krisostend

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 16:20:45 »

Marty

My AI ship is not going to her point entity, she goes the other way. Only when the AI ship and point entity are close together it will succeed.  For a couple of miles I need a lot of point entitys,it's like she is not finding her way.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 16:25:13 by krisostend »

mvsmith

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 18:18:04 »

Kris,

AI ships don’t always go in a straight line to the goal. They navigate to it by reference to the chart and avoiding shallows by following a depth contour when possible.
In a confined area such as Southampton water in the Solent environment, you would need to force a particular path by placing as many points as necessary.

Unfortunately there is not a lot of information in the editor about the underwater conditions. The fourteenth button from the left on the main toolbar toggles the brown environment limits and some depth contours. In most environments you can’t see the bottom—Bora Bora is an exception—so you need to experiment to see where an AI ship wants to go.

Regards,
Marty

ac_freeman

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 11:54:50 »

Hi Kris,

I have found that it takes a lot of trial and error to get AI to go where you want it to go to, short distances seem to work quite well but for longer distances I have found that the only way to progress is to set up the AI, run the mission, see how it looks and then tweak by moving start points/endpoints and run again - it takes a lot of patience and do not make too many changes each time otherwise you will get completely confused. By doing this I almost have two very long missions with loads of AI all going where I want it to, but have been working on and off on them for weeks, and still not completely happy with them - but, it is a great feeling when you run the mission and finally the AI looks close to what you had hoped it to be, don't give up :-)

regards,

Andy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines