Hello Guest April 28, 2024, 18:04:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pre-purchase questions  (Read 964 times)

RRSignal

• Forum member
Pre-purchase questions
« on: April 11, 2011, 18:55:51 »

Hi all. I've been able to find most of my answers on this helpful message forum, but still have a few questions. Any help with even one question is appreciated.

I am a recreational boater. I'd like to practice as much of my seamanship as possible on a simulator, particularly navigation and the use of radar. How realistically is this simulated in SSE?

Next, I have an itch to create content, especially of my native Philadelphia area. How difficult would it be to model a river or port? I am in the process of learning Blender and have access to GMax and older versions of 3DS, so I should be able to make buildings and other assets, and I know a little about DEM modeling from working with Auran's Trainz, but do the tools exist for users to add territory and assets to SSE?

My gaming computer is a dual-boot XP-32 and XP-64 installation with 4Gb, Intel E6700 (3.2GHz) dual-core processor, GT240 video card. The 2006 demo runs extremely well and smoothly, but how about SSE?

Oh, finally, I trust SSE is still DRM-free as long as I avoid Steam and Amazon, correct?

Ballast

• Global Moderator
Re: Pre-purchase questions
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 19:08:54 »

Hi,

Don't expect too much of the ingame radar, it isn't that good. The simple laterale buoys also don't contribute to a safe navigation. Cardinal buoys and leading lights for example aren't in the game.

The manoeuvering characteristics of the vessels are quiet good, it should give you a good grasp the basics of manoeuvering. If you already know the basics, you can fine tune your skills with a large variety of vessels (single prop, double prop, jet driven etc.)

For now it isn't possible to add 3rd party material into the game without the help of VSTEP. Adding stuff to the game isn't that easy, it takes about 40 steps to get it in the game. Recently there was a contest where people could submit their own work for the game. The best work was picked by a jury and VSTEP is making an DLC out of it  :)

I suggest that you buy the game via shipsim.com so you don't have the STEAM version. You can update it and download DLC without the interference of STEAM.  :)

Brgds, Ballast
It's the crew that makes the difference

vin_sun

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 20:40:54 »

Hi RR,

Ballast has about answered most of your queries. I would like to add that your computer config looks quite suitable to run SSE. If you wish you can down load the SSE demo (600 MB) from www.shipsim.com website (under Downloads) and get a feel of it and satisfy yourself if your computer can handle it.

Along with Ballast, I also strongly suggest you purchase SSE (DVD or download) from www.shipsim.com than from Steam. I would recommend this always for all Ship Simulator products.

Regards
vin_sun
Land was created to provide a place for boats to visit.

RRSignal

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 15:59:46 »

Hi ballast and vin_sun,

Thanks for your replies. The navigation inaccuracies are disappointing, though I still may get some flavor of the sim anyway, especially if there's a sale. I love sales! ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines