Hello Guest April 27, 2024, 03:32:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to use the side thrusters?  (Read 3703 times)

assassinator2.0

• Forum member
How to use the side thrusters?
« on: March 30, 2011, 05:37:31 »

Whenever im trying to dock the Pride of Rotterdam, I have to choose one side thruster over the other to turn before i go to the second one to move it. Is there a way to move both at the same time?
"He that boasts of his own knowledge proclaims his ignorance" -Author Unknown

"If a tidal wave hits LA just grab a fake boob for safety" -Sarah Michelle Gellar

Snakebyte92

• Forum member
Re: How to use the side thrusters?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 08:15:25 »

You mean like this??(See picture attached)

I have assigned my bowthrusters to buttons on top of my joystick. So with one finger I control both of them.
But i'm not really getting your problem.  ???  :-\
Cadet Holland America Line

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 09:11:23 »

I thinks its normal that you set first one truster before you set the other.
But, if you play it ofthen, you'll see that it becomes as a normal habbit to you.
If you use the truster be sure that you're under the 2 knots to see reaction.Also use them softly, the ship will react compared the way you use the trottles.
To do it good, you have to make the manouvre allready in your head,and know the ship specifications.
Marc
N

Snakebyte92

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 09:32:05 »

So where's the pilot table??  ;D

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 09:40:41 »

I've moved the topic, tech support is for SSE related problems with your machine, installation and such  :thumbs:
It's the crew that makes the difference

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 09:42:30 »

Pilot table..?  :P I've seen a pilot cabin, but never a pilot table?  ;D

ac_freeman

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 12:11:36 »

I rarely use the bow/stern thrusters from the bridge as I find it very difficult to see from the bridge wings ( I'm a relatively new user so perhaps I have not figured out how to optimise the viewing angles yet ) but from the external view I have no problems at all in independently controlling the thrusters by dragging with the mouse....once I had figured out that you have to wait for the small white dot to appear at the top of the thruster handle before dragging :-)

Andy

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 12:41:30 »

I rarely use the bow/stern thrusters from the bridge as I find it very difficult to see from the bridge wings ( I'm a relatively new user so perhaps I have not figured out how to optimise the viewing angles yet ) but from the external view I have no problems at all in independently controlling the thrusters by dragging with the mouse....once I had figured out that you have to wait for the small white dot to appear at the top of the thruster handle before dragging :-)

Andy
Hoy,
Yes, but the best way is to learn to use the trusters from the bridge or the bridgewings.This make it more real, and it just take some practice thats all.
N

ac_freeman

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 12:48:37 »

Hi Marc,

Yes I agree - but on a real ship you get a very clear view all the way down the side of the ship, on SSE ( on the POR anyway ) I can only see beneath my feet ( kind of ) and not along the ship down to waterline level........how are you able to do that? I've tried the obvious ( moving around via the mouse ) but just don't seem to be able to get the required viewpoint.

thx,

Andy

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 13:20:09 »

Hi Marc,

Yes I agree - but on a real ship you get a very clear view all the way down the side of the ship, on SSE ( on the POR anyway ) I can only see beneath my feet ( kind of ) and not along the ship down to waterline level........how are you able to do that? I've tried the obvious ( moving around via the mouse ) but just don't seem to be able to get the required viewpoint.

thx,

Andy

I've been on a few where you can't see the stern quarter from the bridge!

ac_freeman

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 13:28:22 »

My "bridge visit" experience is limited to relative modern ferries eg. the Tor Line sisters ( former Harwich - Gothenberg ), King Of Scandinavia etc. - really great view along the side of the ships from the bridge wings, also last weekend Dover - Calais on the Pride Of Kent although I did not visit the bridge it was clear that there was a very good view from the bridge wing all the way down the side of the ship........without such a clear view it would be very difficult to dock without assistance in my opinion.

Andy

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 13:45:40 »

without such a clear view it would be very difficult to dock without assistance in my opinion.

Andy

In real life when the Master doesn't have a clear view, the crew guides him (by telling distances, or if the stern/bow is going clear from a particular point for example) via a radio  :)

vin_sun

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 14:45:46 »

You mean "Wheelhouse Poster" ??
Land was created to provide a place for boats to visit.

Snakebyte92

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 15:40:01 »

Yeah  ;D
It would be nice for knowing the ships better. Turntables etc..
So you can maneuver better in ports.

We kinda have to work with that with our ship simulators on school ;D
Especially sailling with P. I. lines it's very usefull
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 16:43:34 by Snakebyte92 »

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 15:52:36 »

That's data that you can easily figure out yourself in free roaming. I was working on pilot charts and wheelhouse posters for all vessels in the ShipSim fleet, but it's a hell of a job to do it accurate and for all vessels.

I never liked P.I. lines, personally i rather use other methods for track monitoring.  :)

Snakebyte92

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2011, 16:42:35 »

Yeah I agree. But it's working good and easy. But it's just something which we need to learn. Without ECDIS it's getting a bit harder... :P But doing it in SSE it's getting a bit difficult.(No ECDIS, no good rader, not the right bouys...) It would be nice if it's getting available. Dreams yeaa..

I know you can get it yourself. Nice idea. I can certain imagine that  ;D. If you need any help i'm free(not now have exam week. After 11 april  :D

Edit: Ballast where does it exactly stands for P.I.?? I really haven't a clue
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 16:46:42 by Snakebyte92 »

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2011, 17:02:37 »

P.I. stands for Parallel Index, a way to monitor the cross track of a vessel  :P You'll probally get a few exercises with it when take your Radar Management Level course, Radar Navigational level course or the Ship Management course  :)

Snakebyte92

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2011, 18:22:12 »

P.I. stands for Parallel Index, a way to monitor the cross track of a vessel  :P You'll probally get a few exercises with it when take your Radar Management Level course, Radar Navigational level course or the Ship Management course  :)

Oke, thank you.
Probally. I'm getting so many courses.. I don't know how many I already heard of.. But that's starting in the second year. And i'm just a first year. So I have to wait some time :)

assassinator2.0

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2011, 02:14:03 »

i think i could deal with it  :thumbs: lol. also when i use them i put them all the way to side which i wont do now either and hopefully see the difference :)
"He that boasts of his own knowledge proclaims his ignorance" -Author Unknown

"If a tidal wave hits LA just grab a fake boob for safety" -Sarah Michelle Gellar
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines