Hello Guest September 19, 2024, 17:21:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Mission times - Sightseeing around the Solent  (Read 6756 times)

Parsec

• Forum member
Mission times - Sightseeing around the Solent
« on: September 17, 2007, 11:42:59 »

So tell me... what's the cheat/trick to do if you wanna play this mission in 6, 7 or 8 minutes?!  >:(

There's no way in h*ll you can do that without cheating, and if more missions can be played this way, VSTEP might as well drop the online scores alltogether...

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
Re: Mission times - Sightseeing around the Solent
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 11:45:40 »

Hiya :)

There is no cheat, it is perfectly possible to complete it in this time.  I got a time of 6:01 and I never cheated :)

Regards.

DJM.
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

Doc

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 11:51:57 »

Same here, didn't cheat at all and did 5.45''  :)
Maximus V Formula, i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz, G.Skill Trident X 2x8GB DDR3 2400MHz, Samsung 840Pro 128GB SSD+WD Black 2TB, Gigabyte GV-R697OC2-2GD, Dell U2312HM, Samsung DVD±RW SH224BB, Corsair Obsidian 800D, Corsair HX750W, Razer DeathAdder 3.5G, Klipsch 2.1 Media Pro Speakers, Windows 7 Ult SP1 x64

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 11:53:41 »

Same here, didn't cheat at all and did 5.45''  :)

I noticed, you keep beating my mission times on a few missions ::)

Time for some more practice for me I think ;D

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

Parsec

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 11:55:59 »

Hiya :)

There is no cheat, it is perfectly possible to complete it in this time.  I got a time of 6:01 and I never cheated :)

Well, you have obviously "jumped into hyperspace" and taken a few shortcuts... you haven't travelled all the way down the channel like a real vessel would have done...

It's no fun if everybody start using this method, after all, it's a ship simulator (or at least that's what the game is called).

Doc

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 11:58:00 »

I noticed, you keep beating my mission times on a few missions ::)

Time for some more practice for me I think ;D

;D noticed you're top noth in several missions and thought I should try harder  :)

P.S: it also gave me the oportunity to try and track down my "crashing" problems (see my other post)
Maximus V Formula, i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz, G.Skill Trident X 2x8GB DDR3 2400MHz, Samsung 840Pro 128GB SSD+WD Black 2TB, Gigabyte GV-R697OC2-2GD, Dell U2312HM, Samsung DVD±RW SH224BB, Corsair Obsidian 800D, Corsair HX750W, Razer DeathAdder 3.5G, Klipsch 2.1 Media Pro Speakers, Windows 7 Ult SP1 x64

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 12:00:41 »

Well, you have obviously "jumped into hyperspace" and taken a few shortcuts... you haven't travelled all the way down the channel like a real vessel would have done...

It's no fun if everybody start using this method, after all, it's a ship simulator (or at least that's what the game is called).

Sorry, but which method are you referring to, those times were achieved by playing the mission, nothing else was done :)

;D noticed you're top noth in several missions and thought I should try harder  :)

P.S: it also gave me the oportunity to try and track down my "crashing" problems (see my other post)

Did you notice we were/are actually equal mission times on one mission? 8) ;D

Parsec

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 12:18:08 »

Sorry, but which method are you referring to, those times were achieved by playing the mission, nothing else was done :)

Well, how do you cross the entire channel, all the way down to the south, in just 1 or 2 minutes?! I want to hear you confessing that you've travelled all the way down the channel, like a normal vessel would have done!  :P

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 12:22:00 »

Well, how do you cross the entire channel, all the way down to the south, in just 1 or 2 minutes?! I want to hear you confessing that you've travelled all the way down the channel, like a normal vessel would have done!  :P

LOL, confessions eh :P

I just followed the mission Waypoints and Voila :D

Parsec

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 12:23:55 »

LOL, confessions eh :P

I just followed the mission Waypoints and Voila :D

Very amusing... not.

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 12:29:50 »

That wasn't meant as an offensive comment, or something to make fun of the situation.  I was trying to lighten things up a little ;)

Regards.

DJM.

Parsec

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007, 12:45:32 »

That wasn't meant as an offensive comment, or something to make fun of the situation.  I was trying to lighten things up a little ;)

No offense taken... I'll see if I can haul this out of you by PM instead...  :P ;)

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2007, 12:46:41 »

I'm still trying to figure out what you need to know that hasn't already been answered here ???

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2007, 13:09:06 »

Ok, a quick update here :)

I have just checked the mission again and it has changed from the original mission, hence the difference in mission times ;)

It may be the case that the mission times will be reset to make it fair for all members, I will have to check this though :)

Regards.

DJM.

Parsec

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2007, 13:10:40 »

Thanks, DJM, for clearing that up...  ;D

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2007, 13:13:51 »

Thanks, DJM, for clearing that up...  ;D

No problem, hopefully this will be rectified soon :)

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2007, 15:37:44 »

In the game before the 1.1 patch Cowes (the 4th waypoint) was wrongly placed at the head of Southampton water on the west side. It was possible to do the mission in a short time then, but now Cowes is in the correct place, it takes a great deal more time to get there. ::)
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

Doc

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2007, 16:12:31 »

Ok, a quick update here :)

I have just checked the mission again and it has changed from the original mission, hence the difference in mission times ;)

It may be the case that the mission times will be reset to make it fair for all members, I will have to check this though :)

Regards.

DJM.

Yeap, that's right. A couple of misions have been indeed changed/altered after the v1.1 patch.

But instead of reseting all the mission's times, imho it would be better to reset just the times for the affected missions (I'd hate to go through all those again).

Regards,

Doc

greyhill

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2007, 18:07:13 »

i personally dont really like having the fastest time in the missions as a goal, yes it can be fun but not very realistic at all. Not once during my time at sea did we try and beat any one elses time to navigate, say the Houston ship canal, and dock, that would be considered as dangerous and not very responsible. In fact you would probebly lose your ticket over it. A ship should only be sailed at the safest speed for the conditions, not to beat  a record, just look at the Titanic. I think that each mission should be calculated as if it was a real mission, and the person who matches that overall time should be No1, it would be a lot harder to match that time than beat the fastest

Thats my two cents ;)
ships used to be made of wood, and sailed by men of steel, now the ships are made of steel, and the men of wood.

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2007, 18:14:09 »

I agree Greyhill. Traversing the St.Lawrence seaway, even with a pilot on board who knew the rules, if you travelled too fast on certain sections you were fined for exceeding the speed limit!!! As to the Houston ship channel, I'd hate to try that at any kind of speed, even in an old Liberty ship, might wash away the USS "Texas" :o
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

greyhill

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2007, 18:20:07 »

i passed my helsman certificate on the Houston Ship canal during a night passage, scared the living daylights out of me at the time  ;D. Yeah i think that if you had a time set that if you went too fast, say full speed through the solent and did a full reverse at the dock at the last minute, you would fail. Take it easy and safely like you would on a real ship or a training simulation, you would pass The person who got the time nearest the real time would take no1 slot. Fastest time is too arcade for my liking, although in some missions it has its place. ::)
ships used to be made of wood, and sailed by men of steel, now the ships are made of steel, and the men of wood.

greyhill

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2007, 18:21:19 »

ready for the backlash  ;D

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2007, 19:03:30 »

Just so you know guys, I only try to get good times so that you all have something to aim for ;)

It's like 'Oohh, a Mod with a score, target sighted, moving in' ;D :P

greyhill

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2007, 21:09:06 »

not at all mate, nothing personal,  :D

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2007, 22:20:08 »

not at all mate, nothing personal,  :D

Was that meant for me?  If so, I never take things personally :D

I was just having a laugh anyway ;)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines