Hello Guest April 19, 2024, 00:56:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Speed limits on the River Elbe through Hamburg Harbour  (Read 4578 times)

ac_freeman

• Forum member
Speed limits on the River Elbe through Hamburg Harbour
« on: March 26, 2011, 23:34:00 »

Hi All,

I am currently working on a mission for the Pride Of Rotterdam in Hamburg Harbour which will involve some tricky mooring manoevering at a couple of locations to simulate re-storing the ship after a major refit at Blohm And Voss ( yes I know that is stretching things a bit but I need a reason to take POR to these locations in Hamburg :-) ). Anyway, I was wondering if anybody knows the actual speed limits at the Elbe locations contained within SSE?

I have attached a couple of photos of the first test run if anybody is interested, still very much work in progress - the ships that I placed in the Blohm And Voss dry-docks actually fell off their blocks as I passed, I think that I need to attach several ropes as I suppose that SSE treats them as floating statics. The final photograph is the first mooring location......quite tricky to get her in there.

Thanks & regards,

Andy

ac_freeman

• Forum member
Re: Speed limits on the River Elbe through Hamburg Harbour
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 23:38:20 »

Sorry, did not attach the photos correctly, here are a few more.

Andy

Bottman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 11:45:51 »

Well, you've moored the ferry in the middle of the new quarter called HafenCity. The small bassin isn't in use since some decades, but the front line is used for the Hamburg Cruise Center, where the "QM2" and other large liners get moored. There is a dry dock at the yard of Blohm + Voss which can be used for docking the PoR. Btw.: many ferries call at Blohm + Voss for major refit or maintenance work. But you're right, not the P&O fleet. But we have seen the large North Sea Ferries vessels here, formely known as "Norsea" and "Norsun" and many other large ferries like the "Color Magic", "Color Fantasy", "Norröna"...

Perhabs you can use the PoR as a PCTC for her home run. There is a car terminal right behind the large bridge called Köhlbrandbrücke. The terminal is called Kattwiek. You can find numerous cars on the quay in SSE there.

I'm looking forward to see your mission! :thumbs:
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!
Look at www.elbdampfer-hamburg.de

sadsid († 2016)

• IN MEMORIAM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 12:06:00 »

Hi ac_freeman
Looking at the pic's I think you should know that putting to many static/Ai ships
in you 'r mission will make it run badly.
So if you can use them as little as possible for a better mission Sadly the game is
bad if to much for c.p.u minimum spec machine's would struggle possibly not even
load it.
                                                                                                             Eric

ac_freeman

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 16:34:43 »

Thanks for your replies guys....I will try to find more realistic mooring places. And yes, I do know about the AI affecting performance - I have tried to simulate the real life appearance of Hamburg harbour which is very busy, as my player ship and the small amount of moving AI are slow moving then it actually performs well. To achieve any kind of realism there will have to be a trade-off, an empty Hamburg Harbour simply is not realistic...perhaps I could get rid of the visiting naval ships though :-)

regards,

Andy

Bottman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 21:11:44 »

You're right about the empty ports - it's like back to SS2006. Hopefully the developers could find a way to implement low poly statics and AI's for decoration means. ;)
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!

ac_freeman

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 21:38:38 »

I'm happy to send you the mission files if I can ever get it to be something that I am proud of......I think that my missions contain far too much AI ( and break other rules ) to ever be officially approved, I submitted a Dover-Calais mission a couple of weeks ago.....loads of AI and provides a realistic experience ( I sailed Dover - Calais in real life today and was impressed that the traffic separation mirrored my mission almost exactly ) but really runs smoothly, I have never heard anything.

I will try to work on the mission this week, first thing is to stop the ships in dry-dock falling off their blocks and then find a couple of tricky ( but realistic ) mooring objective locations.

Andy

feli

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 15:41:40 »

Hey, As far As I Know you have in hamburg a Speed Limit of 12knots.
Regards Felix

ac_freeman

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 15:44:03 »

Thanks Felix, although I would think that it would be reduced once you get to the docks/city center area?

Andy

feli

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 15:53:33 »

Hi, This Speed limit is for all the small boats. On all the big ships the speed is in dependance to the siph itself. ( large and the ability to stop...) but I think all about 5-8 knots would Be ok for the PoR. Regards Felix

ac_freeman

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 15:58:21 »

yes, sound about right.

thx,

Andy

Bottman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 16:18:26 »

Hey, As far As I Know you have in hamburg a Speed Limit of 12knots.
Regards Felix
12 knots is correct for motor driven sport boats. There is no general speed limit for sea going vessels, since they need different speeds for a safe handling and maneuvring. It is said, that the ships master shoul avoid any risk for his ship, for the other traffic and of course for all affected thing ashore and afloat.
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 16:23:58 »

The COLREG doesn't specify a maximum speed either, except 'safe speed'.

Every vessel shall at all times proceed at a safe speed so that she can take proper and effective action to avoid collision and be stopped within a distance appropriate to the prevailing circumstances and conditions.

In real life you would also have to take suction and squat into account when sailing in confined waters.  :)
It's the crew that makes the difference

ac_freeman

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2011, 21:07:24 »

Thanks guys, first time I tested my mission I was travelling at just under 6 knots in the POR, seemed a bit fast in places....was just wondering of there were actual speed limits set.

Andy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines