Hello Guest June 08, 2024, 00:36:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Earthquake Japan 8.9 moment magnitude  (Read 19570 times)

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
Re: Earthquake Japan 8.9 moment magnitude
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2011, 11:44:58 »

Not quite sure how you can find this disaster quite so... humorous...  :-\

--tractorman--

• Forum member
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2011, 14:47:24 »

Not quite sure how you can find this disaster quite so... humorous...  :-\

Well why be all depressed about it? Whats the point?

danny

• Forum member
« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2011, 15:01:32 »

still, with over 2000 dead its not something you should be joking about.
Another blast has rocked the nuclear plant, and there are fears of a meltdown at reactor No1 and No3
Reactor No2 is now racing aswell, only reactors 4, 5 and 6 are still in a stable situation
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 15:10:13 by danny »
STCW II/1 Unlimited Officer Of the Watch.
Big or small, I'll sail 'em all!

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2011, 15:12:15 »

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/imagegallery/image_feature_1893.html

NASA image showing before and after images :/

danny

• Forum member
« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2011, 15:41:35 »

Something interseting has just been delivered to my twitter :
#
1431: More from Japanese nuclear engineer Masashi Goto: He say that as the reactor uses mox (mixed oxide) fuel, the melting point is lower than that of conventional fuel. Should a meltdown and an explosion occur, he says, plutonium could be spread over an area up to twice as far as estimated for a conventional nuclear fuel explosion. The next 24 hours are critical, he says.
#
1422: Japanese engineer Masashi Goto, who helped design the containment vessel for Fukushima's reactor core, says the design was not enough to withstand earthquakes or tsunamis and the plant's builders, Toshiba, knew this. More on Mr Goto's remarks to follow.

Matthew Brown

• Forum member

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #81 on: March 15, 2011, 01:20:38 »

Well the Earthquake has been reclassified as a magnitude 9.0...

And now there has been another Explosion at the Nuclear Plants, with fears of a meltdown...

Master Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #82 on: March 15, 2011, 01:24:04 »

There has been yet a 3rd hydrogen explosion at i believe the same power plant. this time unit 2 has exploded. The explosion occured near the supression pool inside the containment vessel of the reactor, the pool was later found to have a defect. There have been temporary elevations of radiation but no wide spread radiation such as in chernobyl yet. Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110314/ap_on_bi_ge/as_japan_earthquake_nuclear_crisis   Its just amazing to see how something like nuclear power can become so deadly :-\  Hopefully they can get things under control but it just does not look promising unit 2's fuel rods have been exposed multiple times in the past 24 hours which ofcourse doesn't help in the cool down. Guess we'll all just stay tuned to the news to see what happens next, hopefully the next explosion doesn't wipe out a chunk of japan.....

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #83 on: March 15, 2011, 01:25:21 »

Lets hope not...:/

I think this earthquake has really shown the dangers of nuclear power... :/

Firestar

• Forum member
« Reply #84 on: March 15, 2011, 02:29:21 »

This reminds me, this morning my alarm went off and the first thing I heard was news about the nuclear explosions and/or nuclear meltdown. It was dark out, and nuclear explosions creep me out.. haha

I really hope the people of Japan get themselves back on their feet, and make a strong recovery.

Master Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #85 on: March 15, 2011, 05:00:44 »

Latest update, unit 4 at the Fukushima Dai-ichi plant is now on fire. Radiation is leaking from this plant and people with in a 19 mile radius are ordered to stay inside . Japan prime minister said there is the risk of more leaking.       I'm really worried, every headline I read is worse and worse a burning nuclear reactor is quite an issue I'd say.... Staying tuned

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #86 on: March 15, 2011, 07:00:20 »

Nearly all of the plant's staff -- some 800 people -- have left, Edano said. Just 50 remain to carry out crucial cooling work.

"There is still a very high risk of further radioactive material coming out," the prime minister said, calling on people to remain calm. "We are making every effort possible so that no further explosion or no further leakage ... would happen."

Kan spoke as a new fire burned at the No. 4 reactor at the damaged Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant in northeastern Japan.

Master Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #87 on: March 15, 2011, 13:53:13 »

So now reactors number 2 and 4 have exploded. The water in the fuel pool at reactor 4 is suposidly boiling which could create further issues. Officials say the current state in japan is worse than Three Mile Island in 1979. Though its no where near chernobyl status since they do have containment shells around the reactors. http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110315/ts_nm/us_japan_quake

Mslb_Eemshoorn

• Forum member
« Reply #88 on: March 15, 2011, 13:56:32 »

We are nearly to 2012 an the hole world goes attacked by nature and other disasters like Libia .........thats weird...
The mayas has said that the world goes under on 2012 but id don't believe it, but still.....maybe its true :thumbdown:  

Mslb_Eemshoorn

• Forum member
« Reply #89 on: March 15, 2011, 14:00:58 »

And when the wind transports radio active material to countrys across the Pacific or over China and then to Europe........... i'm worried about it ..... :o :-[ :'(

danny

• Forum member
« Reply #90 on: March 15, 2011, 16:51:24 »

Heres the situation at the moment.
Reactor buildings 1 2 and 3 have exploded, all were Hydrogen explosions and the containment vessels remain secure. There was a fire at No4 reactor, which has since been put out, however, The SPENT fuel storage pool is boiling, This has lead the the plants owners announcing that they are going to cool the pool via helicopters which are going to "bomb" the pool with sea-water.
As for the radiation levels have now dropped around the plant, any radiation that was released has been blown over the pacific, so there is no danger at the moment of the us becoming a giant microwave oven.
Will post more when I get it,
yours,
Dan's news agency
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 16:52:59 by danny »

--tractorman--

• Forum member
« Reply #91 on: March 15, 2011, 18:44:20 »

I think this earthquake has really shown the dangers of nuclear power... :/

Well it isn't clever to put one somewhere which almost constantly gets earthquakes  ::)

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #92 on: March 15, 2011, 18:52:54 »

And when the wind transports radio active material to countrys across the Pacific or over China and then to Europe........... i'm worried about it ..... :o :-[ :'(

By the time it ever gets over here, it will be so diluted it won't have any radioactivity left.

The Ferry King

• Forum member
« Reply #93 on: March 15, 2011, 19:40:35 »

Dont get too scared about it

danny

• Forum member
« Reply #94 on: March 15, 2011, 21:15:36 »

Don't get worried, Like other poeople have said, by the time it reaches you theres going to be very little radiation left, although there may be a ban on food production in some areas.
In short,
lead underwear is not required.

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #95 on: March 15, 2011, 21:40:24 »

Iodine tablets are completely sold out in this state. Even though numerous agencies and universities have released studies that say there will be NO radiation.

freeciv

• Forum member
« Reply #96 on: March 15, 2011, 22:09:37 »

Well it isn't clever to put one somewhere which almost constantly gets earthquakes  ::)

Actually the reactors were designed to withstand an earthquake; and they survived the quake just fine. It was the tsunami that caused the damage. For some reason they were not designed to withstand tsunamis...  :-\ 

But lucky U.S reactors on the west coast are designed to withstand tsunamis so if one hit they west coast their shouldn't be any major damage.
Gone fishing            Thanks pdpx7 for the great sig!

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #97 on: March 15, 2011, 22:10:37 »

Actually the reactors were designed to withstand an earthquake; and they survived the quake just fine. It was the tsunami that caused the damage. For some reason they were not designed to withstand tsunamis...  :-\ 

But lucky U.S reactors on the west coast are designed to withstand tsunamis so if one hit they west coast their shouldn't be any major damage.

Not something I would want to test out... Better to be safe then sorry...

freeciv

• Forum member
« Reply #98 on: March 15, 2011, 22:18:35 »

Not something I would want to test out... Better to be safe then sorry...
Thats for sure!

Unfortunately for me and a bunch of other people the reactors on the east cost are not designed to withstand a strong earthquake and tsunami. And I live ~45 miles away form one  :o
Gone fishing            Thanks pdpx7 for the great sig!

Master Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #99 on: March 16, 2011, 01:01:06 »

The nearest nuclear power plant to me is built to withstand a 6.0 magnitude earthquake, just higher than the most powerful one recorded in the state which was like 5.9 or so. Powerful earthquakes on the east coast arent that common since we're not really near any major fault lines.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines