Hello Guest June 16, 2024, 02:29:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Sailboats in SSE  (Read 6685 times)

World Towing

Sailboats in SSE
« on: March 01, 2011, 04:50:52 »

Anyone beside me think it would be a good idea to put sailboats in SSE? I really would love to sail around in SSE, I imagine many others would like to too javascript:void(0);

mvsmith

Re: Sailboats in SSE
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 07:56:19 »

You can certainly have sailboats in SSE, as there are sailboats and sailing ships in SS2008.
But you can’t really sail them because there is no wind to push them.

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 08:00:28 »

You can certainly have sailboats in SSE, as there are sailboats and sailing ships in SS2008.
But you can’t really sail them because there is no wind to push them.

Sure there is  :evil: just no code to tell it to do it.

You can buy this however for the time being

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owwKdWYX-T8&feature=related
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 08:08:11 by Third Mate »

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 12:27:18 »

Hi World Towing,
If you want sailing vessels with wind, current, correct sea states and even wind shadow in the lee of land this is the one for you. You can race online and design your own race courses.
http://www.sailsimulator.com/
Regards,
Traddles
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 13:54:59 »

Hi World Towing,
If you want sailing vessels with wind, current, correct sea states and even wind shadow in the lee of land this is the one for you. You can race online and design your own race courses.
http://www.sailsimulator.com/
Regards,
Traddles

I'm SO BUYING THT  ;D

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

Sunseekeringo

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 14:10:48 »

Sailsimulator is also a good one...although I must say that I haven´t played it since I have the SSE ;-) (although I must admit that the degree of reality seems to be more accurate in the sailsimulator...but I wanted to sail with larger vessels)

cheers
Ingo

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 06:48:58 »

Sailsimulator is also a good one...although I must say that I haven´t played it since I have the SSE ;-) (although I must admit that the degree of reality seems to be more accurate in the sailsimulator...but I wanted to sail with larger vessels)

cheers
Ingo

I tried out the demo and it's smooth plus high graphics  8) just gotta get the game sometime

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 11:35:02 »

cheers
Ingo

I have to say this, this sail simulator would defendant be more accurate than SSE+SS08. My settings are on max and I am not experiencing any lagging or graphics related problems. The ocean is real, wakes, wake foam are real plus  not to last but not least the sounds are also very accurate and real as well, while you sail you do more otherwise you would not be able to sail around, this is actually twice as relaxing and 3 times more engaging. I sailed around with a Laser type sail boat for about 3 hours now on multilayer but don't know how to communicate  ;D.

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

Mslb_Eemshoorn

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 16:40:57 »

A sailboat only for motorsailing.... sailing on the motor,   can also be an idea !:)

Eemshoorn

mvsmith

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 17:09:50 »

That was done in packs in SS2008, but what’s the point? That’s not sailing.
Flying Cloud was even motorized, which was an obscenity. The sight of our most famous clipper chugging along with bare yards was gross and silly.

MokMok

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 17:30:28 »

Vstep should release an Add-On with Tall Ships and other Sailing vessels.

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 02:02:16 »

Vstep should release an Add-On with Tall Ships and other Sailing vessels.

That would be tricky, but good  :thumbs:

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 03:07:06 »

Sailing physics would mean Titanic could have deployable lifeboats ;D

World Towing

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 03:45:57 »

Ok, lets make wind so sailboats can sail  ;D

Sunseekeringo

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 09:08:38 »

??? There is no wind in SSE???? And what about the weather adjustments before sailing in free roam? Is it just for fun without any effects???

cheers
Ingo

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2011, 09:17:52 »

??? There is no wind in SSE???? And what about the weather adjustments before sailing in free roam? Is it just for fun without any effects???

cheers
Ingo

That's what I was thinking as well  ??? ???

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

mvsmith

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2011, 15:17:19 »

The “wind” adjustment in free roam is not the same as the wind slider in WeatherSim in the editor. It is just a name given to a simplified control of the sea state in free roam.
There is no real wind in SS that exerts any force on ships.

Some effects of wind are manifested in SS, but in a simplified way, not by the application of physical laws:
“Wind” determines how fast, and in what direction, weather moves across the environment. It determines how the initial clouds move out, and how the new weather generated on the edge of the environment moves in.

“Wind” also determines how waves are formed and move. The resulting asymmetric wave-shape can produce buoyant forces that deflect a ship from its heading, thus affecting course-holding. But wind does not act directly on the hull of a ship.

In order for ships to actually sail realistically requires a large effort in development in the way of sail animation and the many extra controls necessary to handle yards and rigging. This, in addition to the special dynamics.

All of this would add to the computational burden and memory requirements that would further reduce performances for all players, whether they were interested in sailing or not.

Sunseekeringo

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2011, 20:37:28 »

Thanks mvsmith for your explanation.

As it is not designed as a sail simulator I agree that adding a sail boat would require too much additional input and would only reduce the performance.

But have you really said that the wind does not directly act on the hull of the ship??? Please, tell me that this is a joke...

It´s one of my favourit activities in the SSE to have strong winds, especially from the side and I have to manoeuvre through that wind to the port and the quay..this is what makes the SSE interesting for me, difficult manoeuvre and strong winds...

cheers from a very disappointed
Ingo

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2011, 05:29:26 »

Oh God...............It's like I'm on ship and there are more reasons for it to sink  :-X

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

mvsmith

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2011, 07:57:40 »

But have you really said that the wind does not directly act on the hull of the ship??? Please, tell me that this is a joke...

The wind in Extremes does not exert any force on the hull, superstructure, or sails of a ship.
You can confirm this yourself by employing the Berra method.
The “wind” is used to determine how the sea runs, which can cause a ship to fall off her course, but that is not due to any direct force from the wind.

MokMok

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2011, 09:36:57 »

@MvSmith:
The wind in Extremes does not exert any force on the hull, superstructure, or sails of a ship.
You can confirm this yourself by employing the Berra method.
The “wind” is used to determine how the sea runs, which can cause a ship to fall off her course, but that is not due to any direct force from the wind.

What is the Berra method?

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2011, 13:17:08 »

@MvSmith:
What is the Berra method?

the what now  ??? ???

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

mvsmith

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2011, 14:29:15 »

Lawrence Peter Berra: “You can observe a lot just by watching”.

Sunseekeringo

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2011, 15:58:12 »

Hi MVSmith,

that´s true but what I saw, or particular felt, was not what I believed because I expected that such basic things are off course considered. I didn´t even thought that such things would have no effect. I mean, we are not in the 90s and bought a game for a normal price, no suspect low price offer.

cheers
Ingo

mvsmith

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2011, 16:24:47 »

Hi Ingo,

It was never claimed, so far as I know, that wind had any direct action on ships, just as there are no tides or currents in Extremes. In fact, the lack of wind effect has been mentioned many times on this forum.

While I agree that those features would be nice to have, they are not feasible within the current architecture without a serious impact on performance that would make the game un-playable on any systems available to the majority of the players.

Regards,
Marty
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines