Hello Guest September 16, 2024, 20:29:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No smoke coming from titanics funnels????  (Read 2570 times)

Galceran11

• Forum member
No smoke coming from titanics funnels????
« on: February 04, 2011, 04:23:53 »

??? there is no smoke coming from my titanics funnels... do you have to be going a certain speed or somthing??????

Third Mate

• Forum member
Re: No smoke coming from titanics funnels????
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 05:06:44 »

??? there is no smoke coming from my titanics funnels... do you have to be going a certain speed or somthing??????

I wondered about that also, it's very unrealistic compared to real life, don't know why no one is fixing it.Anyway, in SS08 yeah if you are in idle mode no smoke will come out, if you are at full a medium amount of smoke will come out that's about how much will anyway. But yeah you have to be a certain speed to see smoke coming out of the Funnels.

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

Galceran11

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 23:39:32 »

ok thx i was wondering about that...  :thumbs:

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 23:52:11 »

This does not need fixing as it is NOT unrealistic.:doh: Smoke is emitting from the correct THREE for'd funnels. The fourth one is a dummy. Engineers in "Titanics" time prided themselves that their stokers and firemen kept smoke emissions down to a minimum by ensuring the the furnaces were correctly controlled. Nobody wanted the passengers covered in soot. ::)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 23:55:03 by Traddles »
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

Galceran11

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 01:16:59 »

:doh: oh thx i didnt know that... and i didnt know the fourth funnel was a dummy lol no wonder i didnt see it in the movie.... thx  :2thumbs:

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 02:33:24 »

This does not need fixing as it is NOT unrealistic.:doh: Smoke is emitting from the correct THREE for'd funnels. The fourth one is a dummy. Engineers in "Titanics" time prided themselves that their stokers and firemen kept smoke emissions down to a minimum by ensuring the the furnaces were correctly controlled. Nobody wanted the passengers covered in soot. ::)

I mean like, it should be steam that was coming out  ???.......in SS08 it looks like Titanic has been converted into a diesel modern version of a ocean liner. That is Diesel smoke and I know this from Silent Hunter 5 because it is back in that time period (close to it), the only ships that had such smoke were the Battleships or any other warships which had advanced engine system so they will not be spotted by the enemy from a long range distance. Titanic is a Steamer passager liner not a warship  :-X http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4JbJsuFJqg&feature=BF&list=PL6E1A996E18A72C43&index=37 - from half way
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 02:56:47 by Third Mate »

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 03:40:12 »

Hi Third Mate. The dark smoke coming out of the funnels is from the burning of coal in the boilers to heat the water.
The steam would then go into the steam engines and finally led to a condenser.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanic
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 23:24:34 by saltydog »

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 04:35:39 »

Hi Third Mate. The dark smoke coming out of the funnels is from the burning of coal in the boilers to heat the water.
The steam would then go into the steam engines and finally led to a condenser.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanic

Now down to 17% confused from 68%, which is pretty good  :thumbs:

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 12:53:53 »

Steam never comes out of the funnel of a steamship. :doh: Water is too valuable to waste, after passing through the engine the steam is condensed back to water and returned to the boiler. The only time steam would be seen was if the boiler pressure was allowed to get too high, then steam would escape via the safety valve, not from the funnel but from a pipe, usually at the back of the funnel. Steam was used for the ships whistle (horn) and then you would see it escaping from the whistle itself on the front of the for'd funnel.
The only steam engines which emit steam are in steam railway locos where water can be replaced easily, there is no fresh water at sea, only in the Baltic sea or the Great Lakes of North America.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 12:57:59 by Traddles »

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 13:17:23 »

Steam never comes out of the funnel of a steamship. :doh: Water is too valuable to waste, after passing through the engine the steam is condensed back to water and returned to the boiler. The only time steam would be seen was if the boiler pressure was allowed to get too high, then steam would escape via the safety valve, not from the funnel but from a pipe, usually at the back of the funnel. Steam was used for the ships whistle (horn) and then you would see it escaping from the whistle itself on the front of the for'd funnel.
The only steam engines which emit steam are in steam railway locos where water can be replaced easily, there is no fresh water at sea, only in the Baltic sea or the Great Lakes of North America.

Weird all those video of the ship, pictures made it look like eyecandy, it sure clears that up pretty nicely :thumbs:

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

vin_sun

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 13:23:37 »

Steam was used for the ships whistle (horn) and then you would see it escaping from the whistle itself on the front of the for'd funnel.

.... and here are some nice examples.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBJtjaDkdXM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-3TGASoG04&feature=related
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 13:32:35 by vin_sun »
Land was created to provide a place for boats to visit.

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 14:03:02 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-3TGASoG04&feature=related

[/quote]

That TUG deserves a spot to be In SSE, what a spectacular sound. Well looks like there is a quite a bit I don't know about old ships, my knowledge was build around pictures a videos. But I did see old ships shoot dark steam , gray steam and white steam why is that? like here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP2ciTbhw1U&feature=related
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 14:05:53 by Third Mate »

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

mvsmith

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 14:28:31 »

Hi Third Mate,

You seem to be confusing smoke with steam. What comes out the stack is usually smoke—a product of the combustion of the fuel. Its color varies with the type of fuel—wood, coal, oil—and how it is fired.

Under some circumstances, steam may also come, or appear to come, from the stack—or from a small pipe attached to the stack: Excess steam pressure may be vented, or on smaller engines, used for induced draft.

In SS, smoke is an effect that has an impact on frame rate. Often it is not shown unless the view is from within some maximum distance.

Regards,
Marty

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 15:23:23 »

Hi Third Mate,
If you look carefully at the second video which vin_sun posted you can clearly see the thin pipe going up the back of the funnel which leads from the safety valve which I described above. If the valve had been activated a wisp of steam would be emitted from the top of this pipe, just as Marty describes. If the boiler was badly over pressure, clouds of the stuff would be coming out. :o

Regards,
Angus.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines