Hello Guest April 25, 2024, 17:39:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: We got the shaft again with v1.3 !!! [RESOLVED - USER ERROR]  (Read 2677 times)

Azipod

• Forum member

Looks like the guys at VStep fixed the Azipod directional error with v1.3.  Recall that in v1.2.2, the steering went the OTHER way.   We got an an odd addition to the Orient Star in addition to the Azipod thrusters -- we actually got an independent rudder!   I never heard of an Azipod cruise-ship with a separate rudder!

Anyway, the worst part of the v1.3 "upgrade" on the Orient-Star is that the folks at VStep decided to take away the controls from the "Walk away mode."   The only way (that I found out) to control the ship now is with the outside view #1.  You can also do the control-deck view #2.   But no longer can you get ship controls in view #3.   So how are we going to "simulate" a docking at the bridge extensions?  We can walk to the edge of the bridge but yet we don't have any controls!  

If I'm mistaken on this someone please correct me.   Very dissappointed!

C'mon Vstep.  You guys were suppose to provide an upgrade.  You sure did, but your "upgrade" in one area also "downgraded" us in another.
 :'(
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 15:08:12 by Frank_VSTEP »

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
Re: We got the shaft again with v1.3 !!!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 06:42:05 »

Hi Azipod,

Hit the C key (by default) for the controls overlay. That will show/hide them.

Regards,
Fred

Denis

• Global Moderator
Re: We got the shaft again with v1.3 !!! [RESOLVED - USER ERROR]
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 10:59:34 »

Looks like the guys at VStep fixed the Azipod directional error with v1.3.  Recall that in v1.2.2, the steering went the OTHER way.   We got an an odd addition to the Orient Star in addition to the Azipod thrusters -- we actually got an independent rudder!   I never heard of an Azipod cruise-ship with a separate rudder!

Hi Azipod,

Most of the modern azipod cruise-ships - from what I know - indeed have a steering wheel. This wheel is used just while sailing (not while manoeuvering), and simulates a classic wheel. This wheel isn't linked to any separate rudder, it only rotates the pods simultaneously, with a limited rotation angle (something around +/- 40° I believe, like classical rudder). And this wheel operation mode must be solas compliant - ie when you turn the wheel to the right, the bow movement will be to the right (so the ship will turn right).

Azipod

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 21:01:41 »

Thanks Mad_Fred for the answer!  :-)

I'm just curious --- how did we get from having a overlap toggle switch of "TAB" in v1.0 and v1.2.2 to a completely different button of "C" in v1.3 ????

What purpose does the change serve?  Or most importantly, why did VStep not tell us about this sudden change?

Thanks Vstep!  You guys have been very sensitive to our needs!  :(

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 21:05:52 »

No problem  :thumbs:

The TAB is still there too, it's the complete overlay show/hide function.

C is only the controls themselves though, leaving the rest in place.

This is no change, it's been that way in SS08 aswell. It's two different functions. Although I think previous to 1.2.2. The C key wasn't active yet. But it's back to normal now.

The only change is that  now the controls are hidden by default, it would seem. This to offer a better view when walking about, perhaps.

Regards,
Fred

LucAtC

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 22:06:56 »

As an illustration, the IMO compliant steering wheel of some cruise ships can be seen in these videos :
Navigator of the Seas
Norwegian Jewel
Oais of the Seas
Adventure of the Seas

Regards,
Luc

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 22:23:25 »

No problem  :thumbs:

The TAB is still there too, it's the complete overlay show/hide function.

C is only the controls themselves though, leaving the rest in place.

This is no change, it's been that way in SS08 aswell. It's two different functions. Although I think previous to 1.2.2. The C key wasn't active yet. But it's back to normal now.

The only change is that  now the controls are hidden by default, it would seem. This to offer a better view when walking about, perhaps.

Regards,
Fred

Any way to change this, I always like to have the controls there waiting for me - never know when you might ned to make a manouvre, especially since when you go into any view mode the controls are reset

Azipod

• Forum member
Re: We got the shaft again with v1.3 !!!
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 07:55:51 »

My confusion with the steering wheel stems from it having completely independent adjustability like an extra rudder.

I know all cruise ships still have the steering wheel, but the setup with the Orient-Star is confusing.

For example, I can turn the rudder 25-degrees to the right with the steering wheel,  YET at the same time, I can turn Azimuth-pod #1 to 10-degrees left, and Azimuth-pod #2 to 20-degrees right.

In the above scenario, you have 3 totally independent steering controls simutatelously.  This is contrary to a cruise-ship where the steering wheel can steer the pods --- but with the Orient-Star, it is 3 *separate* independent controls.

LucAtC

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 17:09:34 »

There are indeed two separate azimuthing controls, one for each pod, turning the pod limitless at 6 deg/s.
There is also a supplementary standard steering control that turns both pods simultaneously at a 2.5 deg/s rate up to +/- 35° steering angle.

Selecting one or the other steering mode - steering or manoeuvring - is done "automatically", the last command superseding the previous commands. The steering wheel overrides previous commands on both pods, while a change in the angle of an azimuthing control changes the angle only of its corresponding pod.

So, you are right when you say
For example, I can turn the rudder 25-degrees to the right with the steering wheel,  YET at the same time, I can turn Azimuth-pod #1 to 10-degrees left, and Azimuth-pod #2 to 20-degrees right.
although at the same time is not possible, the result will depend on the sequence of your commands. I don't think that it is possible to confuse the system, but switching modes should preferably be done with some care, having for instance reset to midships the mode you are leaving.
Unfortunately indeed, the visual indications of the controls not in use - meters, indicators, levers or wheel - are not updated consistently with the angle of the pod, and there is also nothing that indicates what your last action was, potentially confusing your actions.

Synchronizing the visual indications and having the meters to show the actual values of the controlled equipment instead of the value set to the control will hopefully be implemented in a next update, if possible.

Regards,
Luc
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines