Hello Guest March 28, 2024, 11:58:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Heading compass on the map suggestion?  (Read 8317 times)

1st Commander

• Forum member
Heading compass on the map suggestion?
« on: January 06, 2011, 10:23:05 »

Hello friends,

Could I make a suggestion to add a compass on the map so I can plot my heading? I noticed that Ship Simulator Extremes will show your heading but, what good is that if there is no compass?

Thank you for letting me make a suggestion...

cheers!

:captain:

1st Commander

• Forum member
Re: Heading compass on the map suggestion?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 10:42:22 »

Sorry, if I am confusing you so I will show you a picture. It's a Ship Heading Compass that will show 'in degrees' your heading on the map in Ship Simulator Extremes.

Better than taping one to the side of your monitor!  :doh:

1st Commander

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 11:35:40 »

Here is an example... without it, how do you even play Ship Simulator Extremes?

This way you can measure your heading and set the helm to that heading.. cool huh?  8)

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 11:48:46 »

Yep, this would be great.
The green line is your heading, i think?Perfect!!
Regards
Marc
N

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 12:31:10 »

The ships compass is shown as in the picture below. With that you can always see your heading and steer to whatever course you wish. There is no compass heading marked on charts in reality, only one to use in conjuction with your parallel rulers.
1st Commander asks "Without it, how do you even play Ship simulator Extremes?" For many years I sailed real ships without it, using only a magnetic compass, not a gyro compass. It worked very well & with little in the way of problems, only having to work out the compass error every time course was altered. :doh:  
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 13:00:48 by Traddles »
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

mvsmith

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 12:59:20 »

As Angus said, charts have a compass rose for use in laying out courses and measuring bearings. In order for the rose to be useful on a real chart, one needs parallel rulers or some other means to translate heading lines—move them in a direction at right angles to the heading.
It would be nice if the rose and the function of the rulers were to be added to the large chart, but they would be of little use on the small chart.

The small chart in SS2008 did have a rose centered on the player ship, along with a heading line. Not very realistic for a paper chart, but present on modern electronic charts.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 13:14:07 by mvsmith »

1st Commander

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 13:34:04 »

1st Commander asks "Without it, how do you even play Ship simulator Extremes?" For many years I sailed real ships without it, using only a magnetic compass, not a gyro compass. It worked very well & with little in the way of problems, only having to work out the compass error every time course was altered. :doh:  

That's insane... like a Pilot navigating without a GPS! shame shame.... I think its a nessesity for any ship captain to at LEAST know his bearings. (heading). If I want to go from France to England in the Dover Map in Ship Simulator Extremes for example, how do I "steady on the helm" (heading) without the map compass?

I feel like I am navigating like a blind bat without the compass map headings... please don't let me just tape a compass on the front of my monitor and set the map to "north" ok?

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 14:04:45 »

Your heading/speed etc are given in the bottom left hand corner

1st Commander

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 14:17:07 »

BEFORE AND AFTER:

Ladies and Gentleman, would you be so kind to answer this Quiz: What is your bearing and heading from deployment near the Golden Gate Bridge to Berkeley as shown on this map?

Answer: Around 58° North East

Question: How do you know for sure without the heading compass on the map?

Now let me introduce the heading compass on this map..... Can you now easily verify the 58° North East heading to Berkeley?

Dear Ship Simulator,

I feel that that a grave error has occured considering Ship Simualor Extremes has no compass map heading reference and that i'm affraid no ship shall set sail to its corressponding destination without it.

Well... it's up to the programmers now, right friends and moderators?

cheers!

vin_sun

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 14:22:31 »

Hello Commander,

The compass in SSE is more akin to what actually exists on the current modern ships with its Integrated Bridge Systems. It is more of the Conning Compass which gets most of the information from the ECDIS. As you see from the screenshot below there is quite some information surrounding the compass and it gives a fair idea of the heading too. This will be more evident for those who have used Ship Simulator 2008

I am not aware if you have used Ship Simulator 2008, but this version of the compass is an improvement of what exists there. One of the first things that occurred to me when I started using SSE was the presence of more screen "real estate" compared to SS 2008. I am in no way undermining SS 2008 and I will always maintain it is one great Ship Sim. Adding a compass like what you are suggesting may tend to rob "real estate" from the SSE screen.

Nevertheless, it is an opinion of yours. May I suggest you please register the License Key of your copy of SSE in your Profile in the Forum. This will offer you access to all the boards of the Forum. Posts like yours can be included in a board called "Feature requests and suggestions".

To depict my comment on "screen real estate" please see screenshots below.

SSE

SS2008

Regards
vin_sun
Land was created to provide a place for boats to visit.

mvsmith

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 14:26:21 »

Perhaps I’m being unfair, but I have the impression that you have only the foggiest of notions about the meaning of terms like “heading”.

Your heading is the direction in which your boat is pointing at the moment. That is different from your course—the direction you want to go in order to reach your goal.
Neither is necessarily the same as the “course made good”, or COG—Course Over Ground.

Your heading is displayed in a number of places in SSE: By a tick on the conning circle, a tape below the conning circle, and in numerals on the radar. There is no need for yet another compass cluttering the small chart.

An entirely separate issue is knowing what your heading should be to achieve the course to your goal.
That, traditionally, was done on the chart. In centuries of cartography the problem of providing a moving compass bearing line on a paper chart proved to be intractable.
Modern electronic charts have solved that problem.

sadsid († 2016)

• IN MEMORIAM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 14:28:04 »

This was put on the bugtracker so v-step are aware of it
                                                                             Eric

1st Commander

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 14:30:30 »

Hello Commander,

The compass in SSE is more akin to what actually exists on the current modern ships with its Integrated Bridge Systems. It is more of the Conning Compass which gets most of the information from the ECDIS. As you see from the screenshot below there is quite some information surrounding the compass and it gives a fair idea of the heading too. This will be more evident for those who have used Ship Simulator 2008

Regards
vin_sun

Yes! Vin Sun I have been a fan since 2006, but let's look at this example again and tell me without it you can navigate Ship Simulator Extremes properly without. ok?

Tell me without using this, what is the heading to Richmond, 30 degrees right? or the proper heading to Oakland, 120 degrees right?

I feel this is priority #1!

1st Commander

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2011, 14:32:30 »

This was put on the bugtracker so v-step are aware of it
                                                                             Eric

:2thumbs:

hooray!!!!

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2011, 14:32:53 »

Technically, Richmond would be approached be heading  about 5-10' right, and then heading into the channel.

mvsmith

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2011, 14:53:07 »

I think perhaps this discussion could have been avoided if you had used the right terminology:
What you kept referring to as a “compass” on the chart is properly called a Compass Rose.
A compass shows the ship’s current heading. It cannot do that on a paper chart.

vin_sun

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2011, 14:56:26 »

Hello again Commander,

That Eric says it's on a bug tracker, we may possibly see some changes through Update 1.3

Normally, the green waypoint star can be clearly seen on the chart and as Marty says there is also a waypoint circle on the outer circumference of the Conning Compass. This allows the player to follow a general direction towards the waypoint. Yes, at times one cannot head for the waypoint directly due to the presence of shallows or land masses. As in all the Ship Sim editions, we navigate by sight (either from the bridge or from an orbital view) and by keeping an eye on the chart too.

Nevertheless, if Vstep is looking at providing the traditional compass rose we will have the benefit of another aid to navigation in SSE.

Regards
vin_sun
Land was created to provide a place for boats to visit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines