Hello Guest June 10, 2024, 20:25:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ship Radio Chatter  (Read 1067 times)

LoneWolfDon

• Forum member
Ship Radio Chatter
« on: January 03, 2011, 13:18:22 »

Greetings all.

I've made up a recording from live radio chatter between ships and the Queens Harbour Master (that encompasses Portsmouth Harbour and the Eastern Solent).

It actually took me a couple of hours to put together this recording. A lot of the recording time was "dead air" which I cut out most of that and then saved the file into mp3 format. The end result is 10 minutes and 55 seconds of playing time.

You can download a free copy of this file from the following link:
http://oron.com/88gxw9c2d29c/ship_radio_chatter_01.mp3.html
File size is 11.2 MB.

Just click on the "Regular Download" button on that page to get it for free, and after a brief wait a download link should appear and you'll be able to download it.

If the above link doesn't work, here's another location you could try downloading it from:
http://depositfiles.com/en/files/p55kqiwo1
Click on the "Free Downloading" button there.

Once you have the file downloaded to your computer, you'll be able to play this mp3 file in a media player of your choice (and can set to repeat if you like).
I thought this might be a good alternative choice to listen to rather than just always being stuck with the default radio-chatter that plays on the SSE radio which loops after a few minutes. You could in that case turn down the volume of the in-game Radio, then have this mp3 audio file playing in the background.

I thought hearing some radio chatter like this while playing SSE can help with "immersion" of gameplay, well, it does for me anyways.

If people like this idea of having some alternative radio audio to listen to, I can try to make up more ship_radio_chatter mp3 files and perhaps try making some longer ones too.

But I wanted to see what kind of interest there was in this first before I made more.
Hope some of you will enjoy this.

So, let me know if you guys like this idea or not and might be interested in some more radio chatter files like this one.
Cheers!  :)   --Don
Each day is a gift. Enjoy! :)

Ballast

• Global Moderator
Re: Ship Radio Chatter
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 04:36:03 »

That's very nice, thanks! I've always been a fan of local VHF chatter in ShipSim environments - It's really dreadful to hear a ship reporting at Bramble bank on the Solent while you're cruising in Sydney..  ;D

I've been experimenting with recording VHF chatter in Dover strait for the the game, but unfortunately my handheld scanner only supports simplex channels and no duplex channels meaning you would ony hear one side of the conversation from the ship or the shore station.
It's the crew that makes the difference
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines