Hello Guest March 29, 2024, 14:27:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Size of Mission  (Read 3434 times)

Sea Wolf

• Forum member
Size of Mission
« on: October 26, 2010, 16:57:57 »

Just wondering if there is a better guideline than this:
Quote: "If the mission runs very slow and is hardly playable due to excessive use of objects or AI, it will be rejected. Please keep in mind that not every player has a high end super-fast computer."

I realize that the more objects that are in a mission, the more RAM is used to run it,  As an example, I noticed that if I add a Static Power Boat to the mission, my RAM usage goes up by about 11.8 MB's.  So I added various other static as well as AI objects and made a list of RAM usage for each.  Does anyone know how much total RAM usage a 'non high end super-fast computer' can manage in order to play a mission without crashing or hanging?

I know it all depends on the individual's computer used, I'm just looking for an in-ball-park figure.  The Devs must have some guidelines.

Thanks for any response

Sea Wolf

mvsmith

Re: Size of Mission
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 17:20:39 »

Hi Sea Wolf,
Memory use is not the main problem, the computation of dynamics for all vessels and path resolution for all AI ships kills the frame rate and can often cause a mission to either not initialize or to crash.
Regards,
Marty

Memory usually only becomes a problem after an environment change. SS2008 does not de-allocate all of the memory used by the first environment. This often results in the player ship not being rendered in the new environment.

In general, you should keep the total of AI and static ships to no more than 12 in any environment.
You should not use AI or static ships as scenery, but only if they play a role in the mission.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 17:34:19 by mvsmith »

mvsmith

Re: Size of Mission
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 13:00:56 »

Questions about mission creation should be asked here; not on the Missions board.
Please read the posting rules in the bold blue topics on the Missions board.

http://80.95.161.114/shipsim/forum/index.php/topic,13994.0.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines