Hello Guest March 28, 2024, 14:49:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bugs: ship stops on re-loading saved game; plus disappearing sea!  (Read 2291 times)

alexjt

• Forum member

Having just installed the v1.2.2 patch, I'm pleased to see that a number of bugs that were rendering my game largely unplayable have been fixed - it has, at least, rekindled my desire to take to the seas again.

Sadly, though, I am quite surprised by some of the very basic bugs that appear to still be present.

I decided to take the Red Jet 4 on a trip from Southampton to the Isle of Wight on Free Roaming.

1) An observation first - despite turning up the weather to Hurricane and making the weather as bad as it could be, I was quite surprised by just how calm the sea was considering what I was expecting. I don't know whether this is a level of realism because the Solent area is quite sheltered by the Isle of Wight from the open ocean? If so, all is forgiven - if not, is this a known issue?

2) I had to interrupt the game mid-trip to check some e-mails, so saved the 'mission' and quit. When I went back into the game, I floored the throttle again but watched helplessly as the ship gradually slowed down and ground to a halt. The throttle was on maximum thrust - I could hear the engines roaring - but the ship didn't respond.

Frustrated, I had to restart my mission from scratch, so I did.

3) During the restarted mission, I switched to full map view to explore where I was heading in a bit more detail. To my horror, when I switched back, the entire ocean had vanished!! The ship was going along on what appeared to be nothing but a blank, grey sea with no texture to it at all.

4) I saved the mission, quit, rebooted and restarted ShipSim only to find that the problem described in 2) above happened again, so I couldn't continue any more. At this point, I'm afraid my patience ran out.

My system specs are an Intel i7 Quad-Core (overclocked to 3GHz), 8MB RAM, nVidia GeForce 295 and Windows Vista 64-bit.

I've always been a big fan of Ship Simulator but very regrettably I am finding more and more basic issues with Ship Simulator Extremes. If the makers have been unable to test it properly, would it perhaps be to everyone's benefit if more product testing could be carried out by members of the community prior to release? At least then, there is a level of expectation that very basic problems are likely to be encountered, rather than in the finished product, which seems to be upsetting a lot of people on this forum.

I think many of the criticisms of this sim are fair, but I find some quite rude and unhelpful, which is not my style. I still feel confident that ShipSim Extremes has the potential to outshine everything else.

Many thanks,
Alex

PS. 5) Finally, I'm afraid there even seems to be a bug on the forum - when you're typing your post and your writing gets to the end of the text box, the cursor and the text in view within the text box keeps jumping - not sure if this is a problem only experience in some browsers (I'm using Internet Explorer).

alexjt

• Forum member
Re: Bugs: ship stops on re-loading saved game; plus disappearing sea!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 01:04:13 »

I have also encountered bugs in the menus.

1) When choosing the weather, I selected the 'Storm' setting from the pull-down menu, but when I turned up the cloud settings and this caused ALL the clouds to disappear, leaving nothing but a clear sky (albeit still with rough sea). This caused the cloud settings to become useless - only selecting 'Storm' from the pull-down menu again would solve the problem and bring the clouds back. I didn't get this bug after that.

2) Again, when choosing the weather, I set the rain to maximum and the rain disappeared! This also meant that, when I then loaded the settings and arrived at the ship in the dockyard, there was no rain, despite the sound of it pouring down.

Sadly appear to have encountered about three of four bugs in the space of ten minutes :(

sydmichel

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 08:52:19 »

I've always been a big fan of Ship Simulator

Hi Alex

Sorry if this is a bit 'off topic' but if you have always been fanatical about Ship Simulator, why have you not supported the product by registering any of the games?  I say that because according to your profile, you do seem to have 'hit the ground running!'

BTW nice system, pitty your OS is 'so last year'  ;D
We're all buddies in boats

mvsmith

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 11:47:38 »

Hi Alex,

Welcome to the forum.
First, as Syd has said, you should register your license key into your forum profile in order to access technical support.

Speaking to #1: The maximum sea state in SSE is capped at about a mild chop in “harbor” areas. In “open sea” areas it can be set to a much higher state. Most harbor environments, including Solent, have no “open sea” areas. Those that do include Padstow, Marseilles, Dover/Calais, and of course the Atlantic Ocean.
In Padstow, for instance, you can watch the sea gradually calm as you go from well outside the estuary to Padstow harbor.

In free roaming, your only control over the sea state is the “Wind” slider—a bit of a misnomer because it actually works differently from the wind setting in the weather system that is available in the Mission Editor. Even the “open sea” state in free roaming is limited, compared to what can be achieved in missions, to avoid a flood of complaints about small boats sinking in heavy seas.

After the Mission Editor is released, and if you register, you will have access to much more information about setting the weather.

Regards,
Marty

alexjt

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 12:19:14 »

sydmichel, mvsmith:

Sorry - I didn't realise that your forum login had anything to do with your registration key. I haven't spent much time on the forums and only signed up due to these problems I experienced. I've never registered on the forums before.

SydMichel - yes, I have been meaning to put Windows 7 on it (actually it does have a dual-boot with Windows 7, but bizarrely I have found having two partitions with Vista & 7 caused conflicts so used Vista. I will reformat eventually!)

Marty - many thanks for your feedback. I shall return to the ship's bridge and give it a try! Let's hope the bugs get addressed now I have reported them here.

mvsmith

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 13:35:57 »

Hi Alex,

Your bugs have been reported many times over. Updates to correct actual program bugs are in the works. Solutions, or at least suggestions and sympathy, to some of your problems have been posted.

I suggest reading all bold blue topics on the various boards. That is where most solutions are to be found, along with various manuals, notes, and information on where and how to post requests for help.

Regards,
Marty
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines