Hello Guest March 28, 2024, 16:56:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: * Added free-roam traffic (optional)  (Read 11024 times)

wiqvist

• Forum member
* Added free-roam traffic (optional)
« on: September 16, 2010, 21:56:21 »

This is a new thing in the coming patch, which is good.

But will there be traffic in the missions also?

As it is now so do I count it as there is no other traffic in the missions, for exampel so is there a mission named "Heavy Traffic...", I met 2-3 other boats, in a port like Rotterdam so is that not realy heavy traffic.

Sorry wiqvist, you are banned from posting or sending personal messages on this forum.
If you cannot show respect, and keep acting like a troll, then you're not allowed to po

Ballast

• Global Moderator
Re: * Added free-roam traffic (optional)
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 22:07:08 »

Hi Wiqvist,

The amount of traffic in missions is set by the mission creator, the new patch won't influence that. Please note that a high amount of AI traffic will ask alot of your machine. Since SSE isn't the lightest program to run, a lot of AI traffic would only make it more diffecult to run it smoothly. Your machine has to calculate all kinds of variables for every AI vessel.

We had several missions in SS08 with a high amount of AI traffic. Most players weren't able to play them. Creating a realistic crossing in Dover strait won't be possible for the same reason unless you place the AI vessels thoughtful to give you as player a hard time  :)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 22:09:04 by Ballast »
It's the crew that makes the difference

wiqvist

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 22:35:07 »

Thank you for the answer.

But I am not sure if I have understood you right, it seems to me like you are using the same answer as when this question first came up(when the game came out). When this new game came out, so was this an issue brought up by some, that none of the missions included other ships so the missions are only training missions to learn to steer different ships. And I was answered that this was something Vstep was working with, that it should be possible to run more Ai ships in the missions. It was said that they tried to do so the Ai-ships not should use so much power. So have this issue been solved?

The excuse for not having other ships in missons is not one of the best excuses I have heard. I have preordered another game this year, that is F1 2010, and I realy hope that there is other cars to compete with on the tracks. A ship simulator with no other traffic in ports and at sea is like a racing game with no other cars. So I realy hope that Vstep have solved this problem.

Sorry wiqvist, you are banned from posting or sending personal messages on this forum.
If you cannot show respect, and keep acting like a troll, then you're not allowed to po

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 22:44:56 »

I'm not sure how SSE handles alot of AI traffic - We'll find out once the ME is released. I'm not aware of any technical updates to make the AI vessels less "power consumptive", i think that's something one of the Dev's will have to answer  :)

The choice of the amount of AI traffic is made by the mission creator, who can be you, me or any other enthusiastic shipsim player in the next few weeks.  :)
It's the crew that makes the difference

sadsid († 2016)

• IN MEMORIAM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 08:14:26 »

Hi Guys
I think you will find that as in 2008 when making mission you have to not only
think about A1 traffic but other things to the amount of moorings/bollards
the more you add the more demand on memory and c.p.u to calculate.
So I think this is something being worked on to try to reduce it to get A1 running
smooth for players.
                                                                                           Eric

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 08:23:44 »

Hi Guys
I think you will find that as in 2008 when making mission you have to not only
think about A1 traffic but other things to the amount of moorings/bollards
the more you add the more demand on memory and c.p.u to calculate.
So I think this is something being worked on to try to reduce it to get A1 running
smooth for players.
                                                                                           Eric
Hoy Eric,
Yep, some of the guy's dont understand that i think.The more you put in the more slower the game runs.Some of us have realy good computers,and find no problems at all,however many run just on the basics or a bit less and those guy's are potentional complainers.Just because of this.On the otherhand they should have knowned what to expect
Marc

N

wiqvist

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 12:30:34 »

Well, now I think you moderators should start to moderat you self a bit. Even if you think that you know more than others so is it not a good acting of a moderator to say that some members here do not understand simple things about how computer programs work. I think the majority of the members here are fully aware of what will happen if you put a lot of Ai-traffic and other things in a mission.

So, none of you two moderators know the answer to the question I had?

Maybe some of you can pass the question to Vstep so they can answer?

I of cource like that you try to answer me here as fast as you could, please do not think any thing else and please do not take this as a personal attack, but when you obviously not know the answer so does it seems better if you say so instead of repeating an old answer to an old question. And I must say that I do not understand why you two are discussing things which have already been discussed in other threads here. I hoped that this thread not shoudl be a repeat of the old theads about Ai-traffic(one of you moderators have told me to read old threads before I start a new one, and now I will turn that back to you, to read old threads before you answer, everything goes in circle, hihi).

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 13:18:07 »

wiqvist,

Your comments are completely out of order.

We as moderators are only trying to help members as much as possible with the game. We can only answer questions that we know the answer too, so saying we are giving you an old answer is simply not true.

I don't know about you, but there ARE AI in the missions, I agree there isn't enough AI but the reason for that has already been discussed here.

The patch will add AI to the free-roam mode of the game, and whether the AI will be updated within the missions is unknown.

Please try and understand and read what is being said before saying unfair things like that.

Hope that helps :)
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

krisostend

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 13:47:31 »

AI in to the free roam, what means this precisely? Just more shipping traffic at sea? Or means this that we will see several ships in the ports, moored ships and others that entering/leaving the harbor?

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 13:53:38 »

I think that this basiclly means that you can choose to have traffic any any of theenvironments in the game.

So for example you should be able to see various boats chartering up and down the harbours.

However, I don't know exactly how this will be done, but that should be the basic jist of it :)
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

wiqvist

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 13:58:07 »

Captain Spencer, I think you have missunderstood what I have asked here. And as I said so was not my intension to have another discussion about if it is enough Ai-ships in the missions. I just liked an answer to my quesion. And now I will add if some of you can pass the question to some who is working on Vstep. Will you do that?

As I have said above so am I glad for the work you moderators are doing, it is realy nice of you guys to do what you are doing, so please do not take this wrong, I am not saying that moderators are doing a bad job, I am glad for the work you are doing. I only gave some critic on this thread, and that is not the same as saying that you always do it. On the forums I have been moderator for so did I like when persons told me when I had done someting not so good, but I understand that you are going in a defend 'mode' now when it has been so much negative critic about this new program.

So the answer to my question was simply that no one knows? Maybe some at Vstep know, I saw in a other thread here, a member asked a question, and a moderator answered that no one had the answer to that question, and two hour later one from Vstep had a presis answer. So maybe som at Vstep also know the answer to my question?

And here is what I asked about:

When this new game came out, so was this an issue brought up by some, that none of the missions included other ships so the missions are only training missions to learn to steer different ships. And I was answered that this was something Vstep was working with, that it should be possible to run more Ai ships in the missions. It was said that they tried to do so the Ai-ships not should use so much power. So have this issue been solved?

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 14:00:56 »

wiqvist,

In case you didn't realise I actually responded to your question in my last reply (and so has Bottman). The idea of the AI in missions is down to the creator, they specify how much AI is in the missions and where they are programmed to go.

I'm afraid we won't find out if there has been more AI put into the missions until the patch comes out. It won't be too long now to wait :)

wiqvist

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 14:15:03 »

In case you didn't realise I actually responded to your question in my last reply (and so has Bottman). The idea of the AI in missions is down to the creator, they specify how much AI is in the missions and where they are programmed to go.

I have not asked anything about this, so this is a missunderstanding, you have not understood what I have asked about. So I understand why you guys are repeating your self. If you read what I quoted from my second post, can you please tell me what you do not understand about it? It can be the language also, hope you do not get angry or sad over this, it is a obviously a missunderstanding.

I'm afraid we won't find out if there has been more AI put into the missions until the patch comes out. It won't be too long now to wait :)

So, can you pass my question to Vstep then?

mvsmith

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 14:19:52 »

Your question is specifically about free roam.
My interpretation of the announcement was that there would be an option to disable all of the AI included in the free roam. AI is a performance killer. Including enough in free roam to satisfy some would make it unplayable for others.

With the Mission Editor, you can make your own free roam environment with as much AI as you want, or your system can handle. The same is true for mooring points, and additional player and towable ships.

As you will see, if you ever try the mission editor, AI in SSE is implemented in a very different way from SS08. My guess is that it is much more computationally intensive than the simpler track-following of ’08.
To put it simply: Each AI ship is like a player ship running on an obstacle-avoiding autopilot.
It is still not a good idea to play chicken with an AI ship, but the field has been leveled somewhat.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 14:33:18 by mvsmith »

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 14:22:11 »

wiqvist,

I'm afriad then I don't understand your question. Can you word it a little different please?

No I'm not angry or sad with you because of your language, I just like to keep things happy :D

Markus97

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2010, 14:22:21 »

ADD AI-SHIPS!!!

/Markus
Want to see "Ship Simulator"-videos and trailers in real full-HD? Click here!

Frank_VSTEP

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2010, 14:23:35 »

The new update will add AI in freeroam mode.
The reason there was not more AI in the campaigns was because it is very CPU heavy and would render the game unplayable on most systems.

We are however constantly trying to improve CPU processing and will release a mission editor in 2-3 weeks time, so players can create their own missions, add as much AI as they want (as long as it is still playable and does not make your game into a slideshow) and share them with each other.

Hope this answers your question.
Regards,
Frank

ADD AI-SHIPS!!!
/Markus
Always tranquility personified, are you Markus?  ;)

wiqvist

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2010, 14:42:36 »

Frank, thank you for the answer, and yes it answered my question. And I hope that you will solve the CPU 'problem' so it will be possible to run lot of Ai-traffic.

Captain Spencer. As you see so have I got an answer. But here is what I asked about:

I was earlier told that Vstep was working with the problem that Ai-traffic take lot of power of the computer, and now I asked if that problem was solved, but as it seems so has it not been solved and if I understood Frank right so is it not sure if it will be solved when the mission editor will be released.

And Frank(again), I prefer to run a simulator game on low quality graphic settings if I have to make it possible to run more Ai-traffic and more thing to controle in the game.

Markus97

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2010, 14:46:27 »

The new update will add AI in freeroam mode.
The reason there was not more AI in the campaigns was because it is very CPU heavy and would render the game unplayable on most systems.

We are however constantly trying to improve CPU processing and will release a mission editor in 2-3 weeks time, so players can create their own missions, add as much AI as they want (as long as it is still playable and does not make your game into a slideshow) and share them with each other.

Hope this answers your question.
Regards,
Frank
 Always tranquility personified, are you Markus?  ;)

Thanks Fred!

Yes, Always! Hehe..  :blush:

/Markus

Frank_VSTEP

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2010, 14:49:18 »

And Frank(again), I prefer to run a simulator game on low quality graphic settings if I have to make it possible to run more Ai-traffic and more thing to controle in the game.

I understand wiqvist, but we need to make difficult choices sometimes and it is hard to please everybody of course. But thank you for your feedback and we are definitely continuing to improve the game.

Frank_VSTEP

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2010, 14:49:52 »

Thanks Fred!
Yes, Always! Hehe..  :blush:
/Markus

Fred?

wiqvist

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2010, 16:06:35 »

Frank, thank you for taking it so good what I said. I for sure understand that you cant please everyone, if the majority prefer good graphic and simulation of how ships behave in sea instead of simulate what you have to controle on a ship and that you have to look out for other ships when you steer one, so do of cource persons with my sort of choices wait. And that is how it is with most things in life.

I hope I did not offended some of you three moderators before(you who missunderstood me(not Frank)). I think my critic was fair in how I saw your answers. And I did it as a friend, cause friends are not only giving positive critic, I like when my friends tell me if they feel that I have treeted them little good. Them who are only telling me how good I am and never tell when they are little satisfied with me, them I do not consider as real friends, cause they are not honest with me. I prefer unfair truth, before a fair lie.

Frank_VSTEP

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2010, 16:17:33 »

No need to worry wiqvist, we are all fans of the same game, and I'm sure no other moderator thinks badly of you.
Thanks for posting.

Kind regards,
Frank

Finn700

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2010, 16:40:04 »

In FSX there's sliders for AI traffic density, in fact six sliders, for "airline traffic", "general aviation", "airport vehicle", "road vehicles", "ships and ferries" and "leisure boats", range is from 0% to 100%.

In this way everyone can control how much cpu-load they will allow to be directed to handle AI, lesser system users would disable car and ship traffic altogether but keep air traffic in normal setting.
I hope SSE will use similar system.

Markus97

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2010, 17:05:49 »

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines