Hello Guest April 19, 2024, 16:14:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Anchor  (Read 10172 times)

jazzy

• Forum member
Anchor
« on: September 14, 2010, 13:11:57 »

Is it just me or does the anchor in SSE not work/not work as well as the one in SS 08?? I have used it in some of the missions and free roam, in all types of weather too but it does not seem to hold the vessel like the old one did  :-\ Anyone help with this??

Chitch

• Forum member
Re: Anchor
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 13:36:51 »

Any time you let out the anchor on a ship of any size, there's going to be a certain amount of dragging (unless you're motionless at the time of the drop)...but in the real world, even then you'll have some dragging as the wind and currents affect the ship.  A lot depends on what's on the bottom at the point you anchor too...if it's just sand, it's not going to grip so well.  Regardless, an anchoring isn't going to hold you like a mooring at a pier will....even there there will be some movement which is why they put up the bumpers alongside a docking point.  It's a fluid environment (no pun intended), and everything except the ground is in motion and...depending on where you are, the ground can be in motion too.  In SSE and 08, I tend not to drop the anchor until I'm stationary (or as much as I can be)...for the purposes of the game, it holds me well enough to do what is needed.

Jim

jazzy

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 13:39:53 »

Thanks for that detailed reply, makes good sence.  :2thumbs:

Chitch

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 13:41:38 »

Not a problem...you're entirely welcome.  We aim to please...don't always hit the mark, but the efforts there just the same.  It helps that your question was specific too  :)

Jim

jazzy

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 13:45:50 »

Well you helped me :D I love the sea and do alot of sailing from small 12 foot boats up to 80 foot yachts but my real passion is something with a good old engine!  :thumbs:

PoRL

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 13:56:26 »

If you're anchor's dragging in the real world, you either a) haven't set it right, b) have the wrong anchor on or c) are in a hurricane!

As a hint, it's nearly always a)!!!!  ;D

For SSE, there are no wind or tidal effects incorporated that would make an anchor drag.
On my boat, the crew's job is to make the skipper look good!

Aad The Pirate

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 15:04:34 »

Maybe it's the fault of that thing which connects the anchor with the vessels. Nowadays only the very small crafts, provided with also small anchors, use ropes. All other vessels makeuse of a more or less heavy chain.
Here, in SSE, all vessels are using ropes. Not only it looks very odd, to my believes it also makes the total weight of anchor and rope less effective than an anchor with a chain. 
Feel free to have a look @: http://members.chello.nl/a.vermeulen14/

Matthew Brown

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 15:08:32 »

I must say I definitely don't think the anchors work as well in SSE.

Since there are no bollards in free roam I rely on the anchor to keep me in place, but even then I go drifting off to the other side of Sydney Harbour.
I had to get the Greenpeace RHIBS to pull me in and keep me there  :o

Surely that's not right!  :doh:

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 15:35:15 »

Any time you let out the anchor on a ship of any size, there's going to be a certain amount of dragging (unless you're motionless at the time of the drop)...but in the real world, even then you'll have some dragging as the wind and currents affect the ship.  A lot depends on what's on the bottom at the point you anchor too...if it's just sand, it's not going to grip so well.  Regardless, an anchoring isn't going to hold you like a mooring at a pier will....even there there will be some movement which is why they put up the bumpers alongside a docking point.  It's a fluid environment (no pun intended), and everything except the ground is in motion and...depending on where you are, the ground can be in motion too.  In SSE and 08, I tend not to drop the anchor until I'm stationary (or as much as I can be)...for the purposes of the game, it holds me well enough to do what is needed.

Jim

May i add to Jim's good words that it's also crucial to give out sufficient length of chain in order to let the anchor hold.  :)
It's the crew that makes the difference

Matthew Brown

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 15:37:53 »

And am I right in thinking you only drop the anchor at a certain depth?

I have the number 27 in my mind?  ???

bsm2003

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 15:42:15 »

7 times the depth of water you are in is the rule for anchoring.
so for 10 fathoms of water it should be no less than 600 feet of chain for proper anchoring.
Never get caught with your head in the head.

Aad The Pirate

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 15:48:38 »

May i add to Jim's good words that it's also crucial to give out sufficient length of chain in order to let the anchor hold.  :)
What CHAIN? There's only a flimsy rope attached between the anchor and the vessel  :evil:
Feel free to have a look @: http://members.chello.nl/a.vermeulen14/

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 16:27:11 »

7 times the depth of water you are in is the rule for anchoring.
so for 10 fathoms of water it should be no less than 600 feet of chain for proper anchoring.

600 ft of chain for 10 fathoms waterdepth is way too much overkill. You probally need to whole anchorage for your self so you can swing around on the chain if the tide turns.

Most common 'rules' are 3x waterdepth, waterdepth + 3 shackles or waterdepth + 4 shackles. 1 shackle is 15 fathom or 27,5 metres. Weather depending ofcours, if there is a storm coming you might want to give out a few extra shackles.

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010, 16:27:59 »

And am I right in thinking you only drop the anchor at a certain depth?

I have the number 27 in my mind?  ???

Hi Matthew,

I think you mean 1 shackle. A shackle is a length of anchor chain which is 27,5 metres long  :)

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 16:57:09 »

I still think of 1 shackle being 15 fathoms. Just goes to show how ancient I am. :doh: (A fathom is 6 feet, or an outstretched span of both arms to the nearest smidgin.)
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2010, 17:21:28 »

Depends how long your arms are, Angus  ;D

If you're a fisherman describing your catch....
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2010, 17:22:04 »

No worries Traddles, fathoms are still learned at the nautical colleges. The depths on US charts and Australian charts are still in fathoms, perhaps even more countries still use it.

sadsid († 2016)

• IN MEMORIAM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2010, 17:23:17 »

Hi Guys
It has been put on bugtracker by me about the ugly rope/wire instead of
chain so it will be put right  :2thumbs:
                                                                      Eric

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2010, 17:27:09 »

No worries Traddles, fathoms are still learned at the nautical colleges. The depths on US charts and Australian charts are still in fathoms, perhaps even more countries still use it.

I picked up a British Admiralty chart for Solent - Portland and that was in fathoms. The one for Biscay was in metres... Both with the same publication date. Odd.
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2010, 19:15:09 »

A full set of world charts would number in the thousands (Many thousands) and they are continually being updated. The current system of coloured charts only appeared around the 1960's, before that they were all black and white only with heights in feet and depths in fathoms. Many had no contours on land but beautifully etched markings showing mountains and valleys etc. It was a pleasure to look at many of them, all obviously hand drawn. I suspect there are still many Admiralty charts like that still in publication, merely because of the amount of work involved in changing them all. The last time I checked, a few years ago, the average price for one chart was about £16.00. I hate to think how much a full set would cost now. A lot of those in the Pacific area were dated right back to Captain Cook, with updates added to the originals.

mvsmith

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2010, 19:27:26 »

I still think of 1 shackle being 15 fathoms. Just goes to show how ancient I am. :doh: (A fathom is 6 feet, or an outstretched span of both arms to the nearest smidgin.)

Just to add to the confusion, the fathom is also a unit of time:
An Echo sounder fathom is 2.5 milliseconds. In oceanography, precision depth recorders are calibrated to 400 fathoms per second of round-trip echo time. The echo sounder fathoms are converted to meters via Mathew’s Tables to correct for differences in sound velocity in various parts of the oceans due to temperature and other factors.

(At sea, oceanographers measure time in db. A db is a decibel, or one tenth of a Bell. As eight bells is four hours…)

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2010, 19:43:56 »

The last time I checked, a few years ago, the average price for one chart was about 16.00. I hate to think how much a full set would cost now. A lot of those in the Pacific area were dated right back to Captain Cook, with updates added to the originals.

A while a go i bought a hydrographic chart of the coastline where i grew up. The chart costed 30 Euro (about £25). It hangs now on the wall as decoration, still alot cheaper then a van Gogh!  ;)

Imagine all the cost a shipowner has, just to keep the nautical publications up-to-date.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2010, 20:18:17 »

I'm informed that it is still mandatory that sea going ships must still have and USE paper charts, regardless of what electronic equipment is in place.

I can understand keeping paper charts just in case, but forcing the crew to use them routinely at all times??? Is that necessary? Or am I wrong?

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2010, 20:59:40 »

The IMO stated that if a vessel has 2 independently working certified electronic chart systems, the papercharts are no longer required. In reality you'll will find a set of small scale charts of their trade area, e.g. the Northsea or the Mediterranean sea. Better safe than sorry. If the vessel has 1 electronic chart system, paper charts are still required

It's not required to use the 'emergency set' though for active navigation, but they have to kept up-to-date with the weekly Notice to Mariners (NtM's). It can be company procedures to use the paper charts once in a while, to keep yourself trained.

In 2012 it becomes mandatory for all tankers to have an electronic chart system. Although i really enjoy working with paper charts, an electronic chart would save a hell of a lot work. All the charts have to be updated weekly, voyages have to be drawn in before the vessels starts her voyage, all the nautical bookworks have to be corrected etc. Besides all those jobs the 2nd officer also the safety officer and responsible for all fire fighting and life saving equipment. We work 12 hours a day, and still i'm struggling to finish all my jobs in time.

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2010, 21:05:35 »

Hi Menno,
I cannot say that I am sorry that I am now retired. In my time at sea everything was a lot more calm and less hurried. My employers refused to allow their ships to enter or leave port in the hours of darkness. ??? Wouldn't do today I think.
A bulker I sailed on as second mate had a world wide set of charts as we were on charter to the USSR. I spent my whole spare time correcting the charts as there were hundreds and hundreds of them . YUK. :thumbdown:
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 21:07:38 by Traddles »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines