Hello Guest September 28, 2024, 04:13:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Develop 2008 and Stop SSE  (Read 10047 times)

CornishChris

• Forum member
Develop 2008 and Stop SSE
« on: September 11, 2010, 08:59:04 »

Development effort should be put into 2008 and SSE should consigned to the dump with all money refunded to those that want it. The software has not been tested to a wide audience and even if it does prove to work, it only works on about 5% of all home computers.

Try making 2008 a proper simulator with some adherance to good seamanship practices.
2008 is entertaining but it is NOT a Simulator.

I speak with some degree of expertise I have spent many years in business software development and I hold a Master Mariner's Certificate and have command experience of real ships.

TJK

Re: Develop 2008 and Stop SSE
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 11:29:04 »

HI  CornishChris
Can you remember Microsoft's Windows editions? ewen the last win7 have so much error and safety hole again arrive weekly updates. the dtore multi miliaser dollar firm clear not once, and create a perfect OS that everyone is happy with, V-Step is well maybe a little less corporate and store sub-awareness programs for us, why  so negative, not all are perfect and have everything and feel 100% right away, we  beta testing has done a fantastic job to get it as it is today, now we test new patches that will make the game even better
Do you see any similarities here? end and the complainant was either with kontruktiv review to give to find bugs that we have overlooked so tell it to us so that we can rappotere it and it will be fixed. and there's no one forcing you to buy either SSE anyway

Have pations and be more positive, v-step works not only with games and simulators for us ordinary mortals, watch www.vstep.nl you will see what they do
MVH
Tore /TJK

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 11:31:57 »

One of the reasons that they looked for another version,is just about the graphics,and the system of the weather.
2008 was and is still a very good version,however it needed some extra's.Look at the water,now the wave are realistic and no more looked like blue colored water.The waves which come from the ships are looking alot better.The change in the weather is realy great,now you start maybe with a sunny morning, to end up in a masif storm.
For me the Extreme version is alot better than the 2008, i have to look throughout the errors and bugs,which i realy can.Remember the 2008 version had also very much troubles in the beginning.
About that 5% of people who can play the game just because of their computers,the minimum capacity of the computers has been announced before the game came out.Most of us know that they have to update their comps,with a new graphic card,and when you send your Dxdiag with an attachment,maybe it is no need to buy some new card at all.
Maybe just an update can solve some of the problems.
Regards
Marc
N

Birder

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 11:37:56 »

Have pations and be more positive, v-step works not only with games and simulators for us ordinary mortals, watch www.vstep.nl you will see what they do
MVH
Tore /TJK

With all those resorces dont you think Vstep should have got it right first time or is all the software the same?

TJK

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 11:40:08 »

With all those resorces dont you think Vstep should have got it right first time or is all the software the same?

well i think that microsoft should have don it right first time, theu have build  os sins 1975 or so :doh:

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 12:04:49 »

Development effort should be put into 2008 and SSE should consigned to the dump with all money refunded to those that want it. The software has not been tested to a wide audience and even if it does prove to work, it only works on about 5% of all home computers.

Sorry but that 5% figure is total nonesense, it's the other way around, maybe 5% of home pc's run into problems, the rest works. If you would actually count the number of registered SSE users on the forum so far, and count the people that have reported show stopping, need-to-be-fixed-bugs (not people that complain about working features they dont like cause that's not a problem that stops the game from functioning), then you'll get a totally different number. But people only see the negavitve, and on a support forum, that side is always emphasised.

Plus, what you don't see, and what many people overlook in the actual topics, is how many of those cases are due to their pc's not being in order, and when we assist them in person, often we find that it's a hardware problem, or misuse of resources and/or software. There are testers with below specs running the game, and anything up from that, to very high end machines, and although there's bugs, there was certainly not a 95% fail ratio. So that's total rubbish. No offense, but you can't call yourself an expert and then pull such a figure out of your hat willy-nilly. I can understand frustration and disappointment and even share it with you on a personaly level from my own enjoyment of the game so far, but that's no justification to such a claim, cause that's simply not true.

Regards,
Fred

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 14:45:55 »

This may seem odd, but CornishChris, you sound strangely familiar..
Have you ventured on these fora before..?

Subwolf

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 15:12:37 »

I just have to laugh..

The poor moderators are defending this company as hard as they can, while the VSTEP folks are hiding behind their backs in full shame ::)

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 17:01:54 »

Vstep is not hiding at all.
They only dont want to wast time on posts like you put on now.I think we have said like the situation was.
And this is that Vstep is working with us and listening  to.
However you are so dissepointed,and you can not give any good critic at all,that you dont even listen to what we have explained.
Fred and i,and with us all the other moderators/admins,know that Vstep is not hiding at all.
You tell me what they should do???
Marc
N

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 17:15:07 »

Subwolf,

What's happened? You seemed like a nice guy when the game came out, and now you're posting such negative comments.

I thought you were a nice guy, shame you had to spoil it with your critism :-\
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

jim.smith

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 18:07:31 »

I must be one of the lucky few that has'nt had any problems with SSE.It installed with no problems and I'm very satisfied with it.OK there are missing features but I can live with that,and I'm sure VSTEP will solve these in the not to distant future.Perhaps its because I'm an old man and easily pleased.

Jim. ;)

Chitch

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 18:17:21 »

I'm with you Jim....must be us old Geezers are easy to please  8)

Jim

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 20:48:05 »

No, we are more satisfied when someone gives an explaination,thats it.
We know that it will be fixed,it happend in the past,so it will happen in the future.Also some members have a very bad memory.When 2008 version came out many problems came along with it.It seems that they have lost that part,or just became a member of our forum.
Marc
N

Captain Best

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2010, 20:53:23 »

Well...
Mostly of your people complaining about SSE, Telling SS08 is much better...

Well.. You most likely bouth SS08 a while after it got released. Me myself bought SS08 when it got released. And theres many bugs. But, Look at the final version. It runs smooth!

Vstep hiding? What? That's an lie. Many of the VStep developers has been online, But it's a waste of time to comment these topics!

SSE is a VERY GREAT start, Now we have to wait until it's beeing procceded!

« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 22:26:28 by Captain Best »

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2010, 21:56:20 »

08 was never finished. It would have been nice if it had been finished before embarking on another remake.

But cornishchris, please don't expect those of us here to believe you are a computer programming grand admiral of a fleet, PLEASE!

Reading your other posts (many of which I actually agree with despite your method of operation) I doubt you are qualified to scrub the deck let alone command a vessel.
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Osprey

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2010, 09:36:34 »

I am with you Jim.   There are some missions that are quirky here and there, but on the whole it works and is very enjoyable.  And the advertised features that aren't yet available will be.   The Subject Line of this thread could bear changing.    :2thumbs:

I must be one of the lucky few that has'nt had any problems with SSE.It installed with no problems and I'm very satisfied with it.OK there are missing features but I can live with that,and I'm sure VSTEP will solve these in the not to distant future.Perhaps its because I'm an old man and easily pleased.

Jim. ;)
- Richard +
(Osprey)

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2010, 10:04:44 »

I have a solution.
Because you loved that 2008 version so much,well, keep on playing that version.
In a few months return to the Extreme version,maybe it can bring more satifaction to you than.
The line that you say,Stuart, is maybe correct "2008 was never finished".
Maybe its time to move on,with a more reality view in the game.Example is offcource the water.Its no longer a colored blue ocean.Now you are able to see in clear water,below the waterline and some banks in shallow water.
Which is in my point of view,alot better.
Marc
N

Subwolf

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2010, 11:28:12 »

Subwolf,

What's happened? You seemed like a nice guy when the game came out, and now you're posting such negative comments.

I thought you were a nice guy, shame you had to spoil it with your critism :-\

So if we criticize we're bad guys? ;)

I'm not a nice guy anymore when I find out I've been ripped off. And it doesn't make it better when I hear that their publisher is more important to Vstep than their customers. In my opinion a terrible mistake, just look at the reviews, they've probably lost a lot of customers already.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 11:41:53 by Subwolf »

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2010, 11:57:35 »

@Subwolf,
How did you react when the 2008 version came out??
Just a question?
Marc
N

Subwolf

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2010, 12:12:19 »

@Subwolf,
How did you react when the 2008 version came out??
Just a question?
Marc

I didn't have any issues with SS08, but I didn't purchase on release, think it was already patched.

Can accept the minor bugs for a while, my problem with SSE is the sinking vessels when moored, but even worse that I have to store the game away because there is nothing to do in there. So they better hurry with that mission editor.

Captain Best

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2010, 12:53:38 »

Look what I've found :D

Kevinmcg_ships

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2010, 13:38:32 »

I didn't have any issues with SS08, but I didn't purchase on release, think it was already patched.

So you were not around when SS2008 first came out.

Let me tell you something. I bought SS2008 on its release day and there was a lot of bugs. Including the sinking feature which was supposed to work but didn't. A lot of unhappy punters and a lot of noises were being made on this forum, exactly like we are having in the SSE threads just now.

It took a few patches to sort out SS2008.
OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit  |  CPU: Intel i7-4770k @ 3.5 GHz  |  RAM: 16Gb DDR3  |  Graphic Card: Asus GTX 660 DirectCU II OC

MokMok

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2010, 14:42:57 »

Please be patient! The developers of Vstep need some time for fixing the bugs, otherwise it will get from bad to worse!

CornishChris

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2010, 15:12:18 »

08 was never finished. It would have been nice if it had been finished before embarking on another remake.

But cornishchris, please don't expect those of us here to believe you are a computer programming grand admiral of a fleet, PLEASE!

Reading your other posts (many of which I actually agree with despite your method of operation) I doubt you are qualified to scrub the deck let alone command a vessel.

Sorry to disabuse you but although I make no claims to be a programmer I DO hold a Foreign Going Master's Certificate.
I went to sea in 1962 as a cadet with British and Commonwealth Shipping company and left the sea in 1980 as Master.
I do know what I am talking about when it comes to ship handling, navigation and the rules for preventing collisions at sea.     !!!!!!!!

Subwolf

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2010, 15:25:47 »

And I have my profession at sea too, I'm even an officer, and I don't think I'm the only sailor on these forums. So maybe Stuart2007 should think twice, what he said is a pure insult.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines