Hello Guest March 28, 2024, 10:51:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Captain a wide range of vessels..."  (Read 5716 times)

wiqvist

• Forum member
"Captain a wide range of vessels..."
« on: September 10, 2010, 17:41:49 »

On the box to the game so it written: Captain a wide range of vessels, uncluding Coast Guard cutters, mammuth tanker....

I have also both heard and read other places that as the player of the game you are the captain of the ships.
So according to Vstep so does a captain not know more about the trip than that he should take the ship to the next waypoint, often so is that the only thing you know. Sometimes you do not know that you should stop at that waypoint, how many captains are not aware of that?

Vstep have included "simulator" in the name of the game. And I suppose that it mean that the game also simulate that the player is the captain of the ship. But comparing with reality(I thought the game should simulate the reality, not fantasy), the player know less than a deckhand on ships. And on a 'mammuth'-tanker so is it not the captain who steer the ship all the time.

So as a player of this game, you are not the captain, the captain is the text up in left corner.

In former updates, will the player become the captain or continue being like a guest on the ships?

Sorry wiqvist, you are banned from posting or sending personal messages on this forum.
If you cannot show respect, and keep acting like a troll, then you're not allowed to po

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
Re: "Captain a wide range of vessels..."
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 18:05:59 »

Hoy,
In a way your right,the captain is the text on the left top.
Yes, the captain is not all the time at the wheel.This simgame gives an impression on how it is aboard a vessel.
The problem is you're on your own on that vessel,it would be better that more members could sign in on the same boat.However how would you devide the different handlings among them.I think that would just not work.
This is as close as it gets i believe.
Marc
N

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 18:07:39 »

If it were to simulate being a Captain... you'd spend 90% of your time in your office filing paperwork!

The idea that the skipper sits glued to the con all day is a little far fetched!
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 20:33:46 »

Yes,Stuart thats right.A captain does alot of the paperworks during the day.
However,about a skipper of an inlandvessel, i can insure you that he's most of the time in his seat,behind the wheel.
Here in Belgium,Holland and Germany,most ships are in the hands of man and wife(family).There are company vessels,they are runned by as skipper,and his deckman.Only 2 people.
However, in the containerservice they work with double crews,because the containerflow may never stop.
Marc
N

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 09:29:20 »

Hi Marc, yes I was thinking more of larger ships, but have seen the smaller inland or coastal craft and their much smaller crew... Though I guess when the Captain of a small craft finishes for the day, he still has his paperwork... safety, fuel used, cargo manifests...
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 12:05:30 »

Hoy Stuart,
Well, maybe i will surprice you,when i was a deckman years ago on an inlandvessel(it was 67mx8.20mx3.04m).The skipper did not take care of that at all,he said this is a part of your education to become a skipper in future times.He was infact very modern in his thinking,on the otherhand i have another idea of it.
So i called for fuel,water and saterdays i went for the shopping(which we devided in priceamount).I did the repairs and the painting.Engineroom was mantained by me.Pumps were operated and repaired by me.However this all was for me not bad at all.I could do all these things without interfeared by him.And (this is what he most liked at all)i could allready steer the vessel,maybe i was young at that time but i've been on the sailvessels to from about 8m till 30mvessels.
So on monday it was most of the time on me to steer the vessel,i mean everywhere.Locks,canals,the river scheldt which can be very busy!!!and at night to.He trusted me,well i most say for myself,i was a good student for that.Radar no problem.Thanks that he lett me take care of all the things,which are needed onboard,i can steer anywere ,anyhow.Cooking,also very importent we did by changing by day.Here you can see some of the vessels i was on,for many,many years.

Enjoy the pics
Regards
Marc
N

PoRL

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 13:07:44 »

All I can say is "read the signature"!!!
 ;D
On my boat, the crew's job is to make the skipper look good!

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 20:25:40 »

Marc, some impressive looking boats there!

There's nothing like knowing all about a particular trade. I respect people who know a hell of a lot about their trade and have tried all parts of it.

I know europe has a lot of very skilled inland boat crews. I think many people though assume that because they are inland they aren't as skilled as seagoing crews. I think that is very wrong. I have seen in Belgium, Netherlands and even France (not forgetting the Germans- the Rhine is impressive too).

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 22:40:45 »

Hi Stuart,
Yes, you're very right about the crews on the inland vessels.
And thats just because they have to manouvre alot,when your at see, it is a straight line(most of it),when they come to a harbour,they gonna ask for some assistance.
With the inlandvessel,you have to do it yourself.O.K.we have now bowtrusters,and some of the inland vessels do have even a Becker-rudder.
It is alot better than in the 1900,however i could handle my vessel without the bowtruster when needed.
Yes, on the river Rhine,well i never was a big fan for that river,i realy loved to be on the river Scheldt.Prohably just because of the oceangoing vessels.And its also a tricky river,i've seen several ship on the sandbanks,even one of our own company.
The new and young skipper was thinking a bit wrong,and he stayed on the bank till the next high water :D
Regards
Marc
N

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 11:13:04 »

On the box to the game so it written: Captain a wide range of vessels, uncluding Coast Guard cutters, mammuth tanker....

I have also both heard and read other places that as the player of the game you are the captain of the ships.
So according to Vstep so does a captain not know more about the trip than that he should take the ship to the next waypoint, often so is that the only thing you know. Sometimes you do not know that you should stop at that waypoint, how many captains are not aware of that?

Vstep have included "simulator" in the name of the game. And I suppose that it mean that the game also simulate that the player is the captain of the ship. But comparing with reality(I thought the game should simulate the reality, not fantasy), the player know less than a deckhand on ships. And on a 'mammuth'-tanker so is it not the captain who steer the ship all the time.

So as a player of this game, you are not the captain, the captain is the text up in left corner.

In former updates, will the player become the captain or continue being like a guest on the ships?

Well, in this simulator everything is simplified. If they added the player camera in the head of the captain you could turn your head or move your hands to see the captain markings on the cloths. But VSTEP has visually not come that far... ;)

mvsmith

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 13:51:48 »

This strikes me as semantic nit picking. Perhaps the adverts should say “pilot” or “conn” instead. That better describes what you do in free roam.

In missions, you are following the instructions of the creator. The missions in SSE, so far, leave less to the discretion and skill of the player/pilot than those in SS 2008. I think that will change as experienced SS 2008 creators begin using the new ME.
There is one aspect of the new mission system that tends to seize control from the player at odd moments; it will be a challenge for creators to minimize that effect.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 16:21:39 »

A becker rudder, Marc????

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 16:28:40 »

A Becker rudder is a rudder with an extra flap on the end which will double the rudder angle. For example, if you set the rudder to 30 degrees of rudder angle, the extra flap will double that to 60 degrees of rudder angle. Vessels with Beckerrudders (barges, tugboats) are highly maneuvrable. Vessels with Becker rudders can turn on the spot. Ofcours Becker makes different types of rudders, but when someone talks about a Becker rudder they mean these  :)

Nowadays you often see barges being equiped with 2 fishtale rudders. They look differently but the outcome is the same  :)

« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 16:31:33 by Ballast »
It's the crew that makes the difference

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 17:35:50 »

Here is a page with some more information: http://www.marineoffshore.net/BeckerRudders.html
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 19:02:37 »

Hoy,Ballast & Captain Spencer
Thanks for the detailed expaination of the Becker rudder. :2thumbs:

Hi Stuart,
I had in the past the luck to travel with a motorcatamaran(15mx5.05mx0.70m)all the way up on the River Thames.Started from Boom,10 km south from Antwerp,on the canal.It took me just a week to go all the way up to Oxford,and moored the vessel close to the Christchurch College.It was a very nice trip,also because of the weather.I think it was in 1994,june.
What me supriced me on the Thames,downsteam on the tidal part.Most of the cargo barges are pulled behind a tugboat,while overhere we take more a pushboat behind the cargobarges.You no the barges with the wast,and they have to be unloaded on the dump in the area of Tilbury,i believe.
To bad i lost the pics from that trip,while i was moving to another house.
Regards
Marc
N

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2010, 20:16:17 »

Cheers for the rudder info!

Marc, we ALWAYS do things different to Europe over here...  ;D

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2010, 17:24:40 »

Does that mean ships drive on the left hand side ?   ;D
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 08:18:44 by saltydog »

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2010, 17:35:00 »

Does that mean ships drive on the left hand side ?    ;D

Damned splendid idea! We currently operate the same rules as you, but being British we must be different to Johnny Foreigner! ;D

(before the professionally offended get, well, offended my advice to you is go forth and multiply as I do like other Nationalities and am making a sarcastic or ironic comment.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines