Hello Guest April 27, 2024, 03:32:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: SS Extreme is not what it was made out to be  (Read 13038 times)

Esprit350

• Forum member
Re: SS Extreme is not what it was made out to be
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2010, 10:12:20 »

TJK,
It's a pity that the Beta testers did not find all the bugs that customers are finding.  Surely that is the reason for Beta testing.  Not just try it, say it has bugs but that will do, we will sell it to people with huge expectations and then when they find out it is flawed we will try and improve it later.

I'm sure that people would have waited longer for release if it lived up to expectations on delivery day.
If in front, you see red and green... take a chance and go between!!!

TJK

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2010, 10:15:10 »

we are only human :doh:

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2010, 10:18:57 »

As I recall, the release date had already been shoved forwards several times, and people were breathing heavilly down VSteps necks, begging for the game to be released..To say, under that pressure, that "people would have waited longer" is perhaps wishfull thinking..  I'm happy with the game as it is, and hoping for the patches that will make it better.. ;)

Matthew Brown

• Forum member
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2010, 10:30:49 »

I can probably imagine that the beta testers did report all the bugs.
They were fixed, but then the fix can have some bugs too!
But not as many as before the patch, understand?
 :thumbs:

Esprit350

• Forum member
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2010, 11:34:55 »

I understand the pressures they were under.  Perhaps they should have kept quiet about SSE until they knew they weren't far away from a great product - that i hope it will eventually be.

I will await the patches and suffer the quirks until then.  I just don't like paying for something that doesn't work properly and I'm sure that people new to SS will be disappointed with the product they have received and are wondering why they have to wait for patches to give them what they paid for.

SS08 did get much better - it's a pity that issues from that were not learnt when developing/releasing SSE.

I look forward to the patch that stops a tug, with throttles at idle, racing astern at 28 knots into the harbour wall, then going forwards at 28 knots into another wall, then sinking......with no keyboard/mouse inputs whatsoever!!!!

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2010, 18:35:23 »

Purely as a matter of interest, how many major motor manufacturers in the past few years can you think of whose products, after being bought for large sums of money, have had to be recalled for a "patch" to correct a design fault? I can think of at least five instances such as this, and unsurprisingly, most of the Companies have had to be harried and hassled for some time before they even admitted there was a problem.
When I was at sea, I sailed on two sister ships, built by the same yard, which had a severe problem with sympathetic vibrations. This was so bad that the radio aerial between the fore and main masts would break if it was set up tight. The triatic stay from the funnel to the foremast, which was used to rig flag halyards, had to be so slack that it barely cleared the bridge. My employers got no money back and we, the crew, had to put up with perpetual bouncing up and down even in flat calm seas. :doh: I also seem to remember that Shell Petroleum had a real ding dong battle with Vauxhall Motors a few years back. It was eventually found that Shell petrol was wrecking Vauxhall engines. I don't remember Shell paying any car owners for the damage.
I merely point out this sort of thing to show that Vstep do try to respond to the numerous complaints here on the forum, but that unlike some of the instances I mention, they do take note and actually act on them as fast as possible.
We are all aware of problems, but again I think it only fair to say that complaints do get addressed as fast as possible.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 22:03:29 by Traddles »
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

Esprit350

• Forum member
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2010, 22:22:08 »

Traddles - V true - well moderated!  :)

goodles

• Forum member
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2010, 22:36:25 »

Purely as a matter of interest, how many major motor manufacturers in the past few years can you think of whose products, after being bought for large sums of money, have had to be recalled for a "patch" to correct a design fault? I can think of at least five instances such as this, and unsurprisingly, most of the Companies have had to be harried and hassled for some time before they even admitted there was a problem.
When I was at sea, I sailed on two sister ships, built by the same yard, which had a severe problem with sympathetic vibrations. This was so bad that the radio aerial between the fore and main masts would break if it was set up tight. The triatic stay from the funnel to the foremast, which was used to rig flag halyards, had to be so slack that it barely cleared the bridge. My employers got no money back and we, the crew, had to put up with perpetual bouncing up and down even in flat calm seas. :doh: I also seem to remember that Shell Petroleum had a real ding dong battle with Vauxhall Motors a few years back. It was eventually found that Shell petrol was wrecking Vauxhall engines. I don't remember Shell paying any car owners for the damage.
I merely point out this sort of thing to show that Vstep do try to respond to the numerous complaints here on the forum, but that unlike some of the instances I mention, they do take note and actually act on them as fast as possible.
We are all aware of problems, but again I think it only fair to say that complaints do get addressed as fast as possible.

here here agree have said the same to some posts as well and its the same for very big software companys I have never seen them bring out software that is 100% and bug free and again with fix's never seen them bring out full fix's right away

I have worked in software before and it dose take time to fix bugs ensure the fix works, and ensure the fix dose not cause more bugs which can also happen, im enjoying SSE and still enjoying the game and also

Thank you VStep for SSExtreme's its great and loving it alot (and no everyone I am not/u] jsut saying that nor am I in any way part of vstep just a big fan  :2thumbs:

santi_leal

• Forum member
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2010, 22:39:30 »

This is the last time that a buy something from Vstep...they´ve done again...use the users as beta testers because sell the "game" before evertything is fixed. On the other hand, please change the name because it´s not a simulator...is a simple arcade game where the multiplayer doesn´t works and the movement of ships are not true...3 years i´ve talking to Vstep that the catamaran (for example) is unreal and nobody answered me, that means that is more important the marketind and sell as soon as possible forgetting the users. There are lots of users that are professionals at sea in real life......just only ask us and will be kind to answer you, i hope be wrong but are several years with the same song...a shame...................................... >:(
S. LEAL

Kevinmcg_ships

• Forum member
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2010, 17:33:36 »

Well said Traddles.

And don't forget even a big company like Microsoft still had its fair share of bugs, glitches and serious vulnerabilities when Windows 2000, XP, Vista and Windows 7 first came out.
OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit  |  CPU: Intel i7-4770k @ 3.5 GHz  |  RAM: 16Gb DDR3  |  Graphic Card: Asus GTX 660 DirectCU II OC

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2010, 17:50:48 »

Hoy,
If you want to see the proffesional version of Extreme,well look at "Nautis".
Offcource you can have it at your home,for a price :D :D
Marc
N

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2010, 17:38:51 »

Angus, the Vauxhall/Shell thing was down to Forumal Shell and it was effectively like running your car on permenant easystart.

Burned valve heads and seats. However, it was never proven that Shell was to blame over that as it only affected certain makes (Vauxhall being a major builder at the time had more 'casualties' than some other makes).

I was later on an area manager for sHELL and the paperwork relating to that which I saw at Buncefield (Hemel) obviously long before the fire...  ;)

Apologies for OT
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

wiqvist

• Forum member
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2010, 23:00:25 »

Is it a good excuse for Vstep to release a little good  product cause others have done so?

If I work and one of them I work with do a bad job, so can I also do a bad job. If I were the owner of Vstep so should I have tried to reach to the same level as them who deliver finished good working products on the release day, instead of comparing the company with them who do misstakes. But well, there is a saying, "A loser often compare him self with other losers, and a winner often compare him self with other winners", and that saying fit with this excuse.

Sorry wiqvist, you are banned from posting or sending personal messages on this forum.
If you cannot show respect, and keep acting like a troll, then you're not allowed to po

longam

• Forum member
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2010, 00:08:16 »

MSFS has 22 years of development. MS usually put 2 years into each game where most development projects are 1 year. MS was coding games to work with an OS they developed, I'm going to guess that helped a lot.

I see the few simulators being developed now going with the same issues of releasing early and fixing later. The patch routine to fix the problems does help but sometimes delays modding because of the work involved in updating your work. I purchased this game and tested it out to find that I will be waiting another year to play it.

Rinse and repeat. :-\

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2010, 05:16:35 »

Hoy,
The 2008 version was within 1 year quit good.I dont think it will take that long.Vstep knows the bugs and errors,sended by the members,or putted on the forum.This way they can focus on every one of them.Make a new patch,when more of the errors are fixed in one time.Vstep did it this way the last time.
Regards
Marc
N

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2010, 13:13:08 »

Hoy,
The 2008 version was within 1 year quit good.I dont think it will take that long.Vstep knows the bugs and errors,sended by the members,or putted on the forum.This way they can focus on every one of them.Make a new patch,when more of the errors are fixed in one time.Vstep did it this way the last time.
Regards
Marc

THis isn't a pop at vstep, but I hope they're keeping a watch on how good VS looks lately. I can't comment on the accuracy of ship dynamics, but then most people here can't either.

I really fear that ss, as the technically advanced version will ultimately be left behind. Still, what do I know about producing services that people actually want?
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

wiqvist

• Forum member
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2010, 15:06:43 »

I like to compare with racing games(another sort of games I like to play), and some of them do have a simulation mode and an arcade mode. In the first there are many thing which you have to think about when you are driving and which adjustments you have to do in front that and that track. The second mode, the arcade one, there it is mostly about driving the care as fast as possible from point a to b, very few adjustments on the car you have to do. SSE is only running in the second mode, the arcade mode, but maybe in the future it will come a simulation mode.

I would personally have preferd less good graphic and more to controle. But Vstep is going for the visiual instead of other things, so therfore have the simulation part not been given enough priority.

One thing as would be nice to controle is the fuel use. Like for example so if you should take Orient Star from Sydney to San Fransisco and the tugs are slow and you have to wait for pilot boat, then you have to use more fuel during the cross over to get there in time, and then you have not solved the mission in the best way. Just an idea.

Sorry wiqvist, you are banned from posting or sending personal messages on this forum.
If you cannot show respect, and keep acting like a troll, then you're not allowed to po

MokMok

• Forum member
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2010, 15:20:35 »

@Wiqvist:
One thing as would be nice to controle is the fuel use. Like for example so if you should take Orient Star from Sydney to San Fransisco and the tugs are slow and you have to wait for pilot boat, then you have to use more fuel during the cross over to get there in time, and then you have not solved the mission in the best way. Just an idea.

In the program Ports of Call you have to watch your fuel level when sailing.

wiqvist

• Forum member
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2010, 16:38:02 »

MokMok, I have tried that game one time, but only short. If Port of Calls and SSE was one game so are we getting closer to a simulator game.

And as I said in another thread, I would personally have preferd low graphic settings if that gave me more oppertunities to controle the ships and more Ai-ships to watch out for.

joshbw

• Forum member
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2010, 12:19:36 »

I have played simulators since I can remember and I have been on boats all my life.  I don't understand how anyone could think that this program is anything other then a total disaster!  Sim people are a weird bunch and this game had so much potential to draw us all in.  In the end the graphics are fair at best, the missions are confusing, the realism factor is almost non existent!  If you sit inside the boat you are lucky if you can see the wheel and the throttles move and even if you can everything else is static.  You guys can patch this thing all you want, but until you get serious about this software and get it on par with the likes of a Microsoft flight simulator (with hasn't had a new release in over 2 years and is still leaps and bounds above SSE) this should be a $20.00 downloadable game.  I can't begin to say how disappointed I am with SSE.  I thought 08 was just a total POS and was OK with that saying its there first crack at it, wait and see what the next one looks like.  The next one looks just like the old one, and if I didn't spend $300.00 on the control unit this game would never be played again.  The control unit is the only thing that makes this game even mildly tolerable.  Ship Simulator Extreme is a Extreme piece of ^%*%^&.  Sorry guys you had a chance to make a real program here and you blew it big time!  Just my .02 maybe .04

lolmax123

• Forum member
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2010, 12:56:47 »

its OUR fault we pushed VSTEP to far we kept colplaining and coplaining and they snapped they relsed the game with alls these bugs and so now there making the dmo better then the game so thats why im waiting for the demo but did you ever get this? ship sim 2006 made in 2005 ship sim 2008 made in 2007 extrmes is pretty much the only one even with the times

joshbw

• Forum member
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2010, 13:20:44 »

after I went off on my rant I decided to go try the game again.  After it took 40 min to get this big stupid cruise ship out of the harbor the sim just up & dumps me in the ocean AT 0 *** KNOTS!!!  So now another 5 min has to go by just to get the boat back up to speed.  Why in hell do the boats loose all speed when we shift environments.  Come on Vstep this is programing 101, this isn't a game it should be a free download with the purchase of real game!

No need for the expletive, thank you.
Traddles
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 14:47:07 by Traddles »

Frank_VSTEP

« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2010, 13:45:07 »

If you want to vent your opinion or discuss in an orderly manner then by all means be my guest, but this is not the way to do it. There are plenty of people able to help you if you require help, but this this flaming is going nowhere and serves no purpose at all.

Locked.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines