Hello Guest April 19, 2024, 15:52:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: PoR Dynamics whilst in Reverse  (Read 10238 times)

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
PoR Dynamics whilst in Reverse
« on: September 03, 2010, 20:33:05 »

Practicing my Reversing out of Calais a la Pride of Dover method (revrersing out of the harbour and swinging there) I have found the PoR Dynamics in reverse to be... odd. i checked again in the Atlantic (mainly becauise the odd dynamics caused me to hit the arm) and I got the same.

What I find is this:
  • I am in reverse, at a few knots
  • I engage the rudder at a asmall angle, to turn the vessel clockwise
  • I get the PoR at the angle I want, and 0 the rudder

I am currently doing this in the Atlantic (following MVSmiths advice about getting to know your boat)
I killed the rudder whilst she was turning at a rate of 10' per minute this was a few minutes ago

she is currently still turning with a rate of 26' per minute

I am pretty sure the Thrusters do something similar, as when I turn, after using the bow and thruster to move off the berth, she developes a anti-clockwise swing, and won't reverse in a straight line

Nathan|C

Re: PoR Dynamics whilst in Reverse
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 20:49:15 »

I have the same problem, when backing onto a berth in Dover she swings uncontrollably in one direction (with both thrusters on full in one direction she swings in the opposite direction), and putting the thruster to the other side doesn't solve the problem :-\

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 20:50:01 »

Well she is still doing 26' per minute... :doh:

hipler

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 22:11:24 »

Have you guys checked the wx conditions, she may being pushed by the tide in dover/calais as it can be tricky

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 22:12:05 »

wx conditions?

I also tried it in the Atlantic

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 22:21:36 »

Have you guys checked the wx conditions, she may being pushed by the tide in dover/calais as it can be tricky

Wind and tide don't have any effect in ShipSim  ;)
It's the crew that makes the difference

v.h94

• Beta Tester
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 22:45:05 »

In what direktion do the props on PoR spin then, that also afects her dynamics. :)

Nathan|C

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 22:48:25 »

When both propellors are on the same RPM/% astern, and the rudder is amidships with full power on the thrusters in the opposite direction trying to stop the swing, she shouldn't continue turning at 20 degree a minute :P

v.h94

• Beta Tester
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 22:49:44 »

If someone made a badly mistake when building her and set the props to spin in the same direktion :doh:

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 22:50:55 »

But she is fine until you make her turn... then she just cannot stop...

v.h94

• Beta Tester
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 22:51:28 »

Sound strange :doh:

Kevinmcg_ships

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 23:27:55 »

But she is fine until you make her turn... then she just cannot stop...

Same story for Red Jet 4 - once she's at full speed, it takes an eternity to stop her again even when the engines are in full reverse.
OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit  |  CPU: Intel i7-4770k @ 3.5 GHz  |  RAM: 16Gb DDR3  |  Graphic Card: Asus GTX 660 DirectCU II OC

Capt L.Henry

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 23:43:02 »

anyone know where you can check the weather(wx) conditinons since they dont seem to have a weather indicator in this game.. i agree with everyone the por handling duynamics are off while in reverse. i tried spiing her off her home dock using twin screw which didnt work as well as it should and also using bow thruster totally got her in some awkard swing drift and i couldt stop or straighten her out using bow thruster rudder all the tricks.. totally ran her into the dock
Captain Lance Henry
Ferry Boat Deckhand
Crew Boat Deckhand/ Assitant captain
USS Potomac Docent/Deckhand

Capt L.Henry

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 23:45:57 »

Wind and tide don't have any effect in ShipSim  ;)

really??? i almost beg to differ with that  in the first mission tourist tales the journey driving orient star down river bound for sea. several different times she would seriously drift down the channel. id aim her high get on a good course mid ship rudders and id look and see the bow and stern blowing the same directing at about 2 knots in certain places.. i believe the wind has something to do with it just like in real life
Captain Lance Henry
Ferry Boat Deckhand

LucAtC

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 23:55:42 »

Hello Capt L. Henry,
Really, there is no wind effect and no current effect. The ships can be moved by waves due to some asymmetries of the waves, giving this impression. The drift in the channel can only be due to the shallows.
Regards,
Luc

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2010, 00:03:33 »

What about the reversing problems?

LucAtC

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2010, 00:55:09 »

I am not sure of the version that has been published, my answer cannot be 100% as long as I don't know that. It should be of 24/08/10.
There is a small asymmetry too in the RPM and pitch curves of PoR, and there are problems with the keyboard controls, particularly that the keyboard controls of the bow thruster act on the stern thruster (and etc). You will not be aware of it too much, because both have the same characteristics and are symmetrically placed vs  the centre of the ship. You can only be aware of it dynamically if you really pay attention.
So, PoR thruster 1 (in options) is the bow thruster, 2 is the stern thruster, but also left is right and right is left.
It could also happen that using the throttle keyboard controls, the thrusters will start : You should not only call the chief, but try to reset them as often as needed. Perhaps is it only for me, I use a G11 belgian azerty keyboard and don't know if it also happens for regular keyboards.

The propellers are CPP, rotating inwards, ahead is CCW for the starboard propeller (so left hand screw) and CW for the port one (right hand screw seen from behind).
It is a normal arrangement to maximise the turning effect due to the propwalk when backing. For propellers relatively close to the centre line, it also means that the thrust ahead that helps you turn due to the eccentricity of the propeller is thwarted by the propwalk in forward, meaning not much of the eccentricity effect, eventually fully hiding the fact that the propeller is to the side. Not a big problem, as the full flow of the propeller acts on the rudder, restoring your manoeuvrability. Another advantage is that you can more easily make way on one propeller if needed.
Turning astern, the propwalk is added to the eccentricity (if I dare say so), and it helps your ship to turn, QED.

Also, there is not necessarily much course stability when making way astern, and the steady rotation of 26°/min can be realistic. Once the ship turns either way, you must steer, why would you think you shouldn't? There is no guarantee that the ship course will be straightened while astern. More importantly, the whole steering system should be able to match the yaw up to (down to) the manoeuvring speed, but the rudder is very close to the pivot point and doesn't receive much help from the propeller. Also, the rudder as a foil is working in a reverse direction, and its stall angle is smaller, so that great angles are worse than angles smaller than the stall angle.

Coming back to the propeller, RPM and pitch vary simultaneously, as if controlled by a combinator, and the propellers keep turning slowly when the pitch is 0.

Regards,
Luc

Capt L.Henry

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2010, 02:16:52 »

Hello Capt L. Henry,
Really, there is no wind effect and no current effect. The ships can be moved by waves due to some asymmetries of the waves, giving this impression. The drift in the channel can only be due to the shallows.
Regards,
Luc

well if the ships can be moved by waves.. then in other words that is an effect of current. due to the fact that current is what creates waves. and i guess i understand the shallow thing but i was far from the shallows so it still makes no since
Captain Lance Henry
Ferry Boat Deckhand

LucAtC

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2010, 02:34:28 »

For your information and to stay factual, at least at sea, it is the wind that creates the waves, not the currents. But wind against current increases the steepness of the waves indeed, and your interpretation is ok for me.  8)
Regards,
Luc

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2010, 11:06:19 »

OK, just tested it again in the Atlantic, and she reverses fine until she reaches 5 knots - then she starts turning anticlockwise - currently on 34' per minute and rising.

she is also turning in the opposite direction to last time when I used the rudder.

?

*Whilst I was typing she has gone up to 43' per minute

Edit: I then tried the bow thruster to counteract the turning - it just mad it start turning the other way Bow thruster was switched off when it reached 10' per minute in the clockwise direction, and it just continued increasing its RoT - now at 42' per minute.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 11:15:21 by The Ferry Man »

Subwolf

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2010, 14:50:49 »

Why should such a large ship go more then 5 knots astern ???
It's not very realistic or safe.

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2010, 14:59:09 »

Why should such a large ship go more then 5 knots astern ???
It's not very realistic or safe.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/default.aspx?mmsi=232001710&centerx=1.765498&centery=50.96703&zoom=10&type_color=6

If you look very carefully into Calais, you can see a track Pride of Dover shows her going 10 knots astern

Robert67

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2010, 15:06:04 »

I think also the dynamics of the PoR are much more real in (unpatched) 08 then SSE

Thinkpad W700 Quadcore Extreme 2,53 NVidia FX3700 1GB, 8GB RAM SSD 128 GB W7 64bit
Eigenbau Asus Core2 Quad 2,66@3 GHz, ATI HD6870, 8GB RAM, 1268 SSD, Win7 64bit

Subwolf

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2010, 15:10:19 »

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/default.aspx?mmsi=232001710&centerx=1.765498&centery=50.96703&zoom=10&type_color=6

If you look very carefully into Calais, you can see a track Pride of Dover shows her going 10 knots astern

Well this one is not exactly the size of the PoR.
But I know that many companies wouldn't allow a speed like that unless it's really necessary.

Robert67

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2010, 15:14:45 »

Well this one is not exactly the size of the PoR.
But I know that many companies wouldn't allow a speed like that unless it's really necessary.

Think you havent seen the manoevers of ferrys in the size of the Pride at mare mediterrane??
Marseille, Genova, Livorno, Sardegna for example.

Class and type:    Superfast I class fast ropax ferry
Tonnage:    23,663 GT (gross tonnage)
Displacement:    5,717 metric tons deadweight (DWT)
Length:    173.50 m (569 ft 3 in)
Beam:    24.00 m (79 ft)
Draught:    6.41 m (21 ft 0 in)
Installed power:    4 × Wärtsilä-Sulzer 12ZAV40S diesels
34550 kW
Speed:    27.9 kn (51.67 km/h) maximum speed
Capacity:    1400 passengers
686 berths
830 cars
1850 lanemeters

Or manoevers of the Colour Magic and Fantasy, World biggest Ferries
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 15:20:25 by Robert67 »
Thinkpad W700 Quadcore Extreme 2,53 NVidia FX3700 1GB, 8GB RAM SSD 128 GB W7 64bit
Eigenbau Asus Core2 Quad 2,66@3 GHz, ATI HD6870, 8GB RAM, 1268 SSD, Win7 64bit
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines