Hello Guest March 29, 2024, 12:37:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Views  (Read 4384 times)

Apejens

• Forum member
Views
« on: August 30, 2010, 22:37:07 »

Although I haven't been able to try the game yet, due to all sorts of problems, I see in the user's manual that the views are just the same as in SS2008 - helm, walkthrough and orbit.
A bit of a disappointment that there's no fixed view, so that one could see the ship passing by, or standing on the quay when the ship arrives...

itgl72

• Forum member
Re: Views
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 22:38:44 »

I agree, I believe different views would have been a great addition. I compare Ship Sim to MS Flight Sim, but water vs air products.

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 22:41:40 »

One things that bugs me a little is not being able to tilt the camera lower than the bridge.

Now, try this on the ship preview before you go in-game, if the camera was able to actually do this in-game it would be great.

No idea why that bugs me, but it does :)

I also agree with the other comments here, a fixed controllable camera would have been a great addition, and I think I mentioned this back a while ago :)
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

VirtualSkipper

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 22:46:10 »

We'll never know.

I think this will be updated  :)
"There is a plaque laid next to the remnants of the Titanic which reads, "Only Chuck Norris is unsinkable"

Apejens

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 01:15:44 »

I've now run through a few of the game's possibilities; it's pretty good, but with a few glitches:
- FAR TOO FEW VIEWS!!!! The aft/fore view should be brought back, not to mention the aforementioned fixed view.
- Controls: Where are the aft control on Red Eagle? Remember; this is a double ended ferry!(btw: for night sailing with this ferry, the lanterns should be reversible)
Also, there is no bridge wing controls on PoR, which is both more realistic and also a helpful tool.
I also ran aground with PoR when trying to dock in Calais.

The view stuff is the most irritating about this game, as with its 2 predecessors.
Three views broadens the game's possibilities in an annoying way; the graphics and the realism in the ships' behaviour deserves better!
There should also be possibilities for opening small view/camera windows when manouvering from the bridge,
as most of the large ships are equipped with such. This will add greatly to the realism; the way the game is today, it just cannot be called fully realistic because you'll have to view the ship from the air to dock safely.
Such moveable cameras with windows gives the player the possibility to manouvre the ship from the bridge.

Again, I must say, such a possibility must not be underestimated, as it brings the game into new levels of realism. If I wanna dock a ship from the air, I might as well go back to the good old Ports of Call.
VSTEP: You've done a great, great job with upgrading the game, especially with realism, graphics and stuff:
Now its time to upgrade the game's viewing possibilities!

Best regards
Apejens

Norwegian Chief Officer

Ciroton

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 02:34:28 »

Did anyone else notice Walkthrough mode is slower to move (especially up stairs) then in 08?

I mean, realism is okay, but in an emergency don't people usually run up and down stairs and across decks?

Also, a lack of 'reset view' is a bit annoying, but livable. Oh, and the 'no angle lower then the bridge' thing has annoyed me for a while too. x3

VirtualSkipper

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 06:07:58 »

Can't you even go faster with Shift while walking?
"There is a plaque laid next to the remnants of the Titanic which reads, "Only Chuck Norris is unsinkable"

phil ciborowski

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 06:36:21 »

id love a view reset again, and to be able to lower the external camera angles...

and yes even with the (shift) walk mode you move a lot slower...
Computer Specs :  Intel i5@3.8GHz, 16GB of Corsair Vengence DDR3RAM, nVidia GTX 660 Ti, 2 (2)1TB Hard Drives,48X Combo and 16X DVD+/-RW drives. Win7 64, on 32" HDTV

Apejens

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 11:57:46 »

I really hope someone from VStep reads this and implements this stuff into the game, as it would totally transform the realism.

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 12:08:51 »

Did anyone else notice Walkthrough mode is slower to move (especially up stairs) then in 08?

Hi Ciroton,

Same here! I also find pressing shift (To run) on the stairs doesn't work either. But I don't mind really, since I nearly always stay on the bridge/bridge wings.

Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

Aad The Pirate

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 12:15:09 »

Wait till you got a mission on the Latitude where it is neccessary to send a man to the bow to drop the anchor.
Then you WILL miss the running option.  :evil:
Feel free to have a look @: http://members.chello.nl/a.vermeulen14/

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 12:16:23 »

Oh dear :doh:
Kind Regards,
Jack.

Denis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 12:43:13 »

Hi,

About the number of views, yes indeed, the number of preset views is few, but you can much more adjust the camera position in orbit cam, with the delete-home-end-pagedown key, above the arrow keys.

Developpers added to that, that the camera panning could be fully controlled by mouse, in a future patch.

Rbsanford

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 03:53:17 »

Although I haven't been able to try the game yet, due to all sorts of problems, I see in the user's manual that the views are just the same as in SS2008 - helm, walkthrough and orbit.
A bit of a disappointment that there's no fixed view, so that one could see the ship passing by, or standing on the quay when the ship arrives...

its something called video mode. u can place a little camera anywhere. when u click on it, u can watch the ship go by with a fixed view. its really cool.
Today's weather:

http://www.lsmma.com/webcam/webcam_st.html

Not to sound cliched, but what a long, strange, trip it's been.

matt5674

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 03:55:57 »

its something called video mode. u can place a little camera anywhere. when u click on it, u can watch the ship go by with a fixed view. its really cool.
The talk was BEFORE the Cinema Mode.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines