Hello Guest April 20, 2024, 11:36:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which version works? (A sensible question)  (Read 2290 times)

Miller85

• Forum member
Which version works? (A sensible question)
« on: August 30, 2010, 19:31:43 »

Hey,

I know there's a whole tonne of negative posts floating (no pun intended  :doh: ) around the forum and I don't mean to add to them but I have a sincere question.

I paid for a digitally-distributed copy of the game on Thursday night from a third-party retailer but have yet to even get a key. I've been waiting for a reply to the messages I sent to customer-service; they replied to my first message within minutes but it's been three days since I specifically asked for a key (thanks to advice from one of the VSTEP guys on this forum) and I haven't heard anything so I'm not sure how hopeful I am of actually getting a key sorted. In the retailer's defence it has been a bank-holiday weekend across much of the UK so it's possible they've been enjoying the sunshine but if I don't get a key by the end of tomorrow I'm probably going to see about asking for a refund.

Which brings me to the question at hand. If I was to get a refund which version is the having the least problems (as far as activation etc is concerned)? I thought the Steam version had just about had its problems fixed but now I see they've pulled it completely for the moment...

I'd rather get a download version (personal preference) but ultimately I'd just really like to be able to sit down with the sim and hopefully have a bit of fun with it  :D

Is the additional cost of buying the download direct through VSTEP's website worth it if it means leaving out the hassle? Is it best to just bite the bullet and buy a boxed copy despite the fact it'll be days before it arrives?

I appreciate any input with this and hopefully anyone else with a similar or identical situation will find it useful too  :)

I have a decent enough PC so I am keeping my fingers crossed that when I do get a copy sorted it'll run without too much issue but the proof will be in the pudding, so to speak.

(Edited for spelling  :) )
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 19:33:44 by Miller85 »

Chitch

• Forum member
Re: Which version works? (A sensible question)
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 19:43:55 »

I got mine from the VSTEP website....it runs fine...got my key right away, worked the first time, got the update, and got the extra ship (Sigita)....I had no problems with it at all.  Sure there are a couple of little things in the program, but nothing earth-shaking.

That any help?

Jim

jedihomie

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 19:45:14 »

well i can gladly say i will never buy from steam again.  they can go shove it.

oceandream

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 19:59:19 »

I got mine from the VSTEP website....it runs fine...got my key right away, worked the first time, got the update, and got the extra ship (Sigita)....I had no problems with it at all.  Sure there are a couple of little things in the program, but nothing earth-shaking.

That any help?

Jim

But if i order the SSE from vstep will the it arrive at curacao or will i just sit waiting for something that will ever arrive?? :'(

I wont download cause my internet speed is 2 mb per minute

Join Greenpeace virtual today
We need more members too keep out forum active

Miller85

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 20:06:17 »

Thanks Chitch, I'll see what happens and if I have no luck getting a key I'll re-order from VSTEP  :-\ It's a shame to see Steam having these problems; perhaps I've just been lucky but I've used them almost exclusively for PC games for a couple of years with hardly a problem - certainly nothing like this.

Chitch

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 21:24:17 »

But if i order the SSE from vstep will the it arrive at curacao or will i just sit waiting for something that will ever arrive?? :'(

I wont download cause my internet speed is 2 mb per minute

Well, do you have a friend who's got a faster connection?  That would solve your problem....then just burn it to a DVD and you should be set to go.

Always a work around...gotta stay positive!

Jim

Chitch

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 21:27:02 »

Thanks Chitch, I'll see what happens and if I have no luck getting a key I'll re-order from VSTEP  :-\ It's a shame to see Steam having these problems; perhaps I've just been lucky but I've used them almost exclusively for PC games for a couple of years with hardly a problem - certainly nothing like this.

I know what you mean....I got RailSimulator from Steam...no problems, loads of updates...sometimes too fast to keep up with....I picked up SNIPER: Ghost Warrior from them, no problems...and a couple of submarine simulations.  Maybe someone input the information incorrectly at the Steam site.  Like you, I've had really good luck with them.  I almost got mine from Steam, but couldn't find it listed, so I opted for the ShipSim site...now I'm really glad I did!

Good Luck with it.

Jim

Miller85

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 13:32:09 »

Well I shouldn't have been so sceptical, spoke to the retailer this morning and they emailed a key right to me  :D It worked first time and the game appears to work well. Though there's a few odd quirks I've run in to already there's been nothing major - apart from forgetting to pause the game when the phone rang and finding a sinking tanker on screen when I got back  :captain:

Finn700

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 15:17:05 »

I bought SSE from Steam when it was published in there, but after download they didn't got activation keys from VSTEP and had to wait few hours.
After that the game crashed always on startup, but it was fixed by installing newest drivers for my gfx-card, after that no problems at all.
At the moment I have 21 games on Steam and this was first product what had problems with the keys.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines