Hello Guest March 28, 2024, 16:58:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AI ships available or not?  (Read 4433 times)

strykerpsg

• Forum member
AI ships available or not?
« on: August 28, 2010, 19:22:15 »

I thought I had posted this earlier, but absolutely cannot find the post, so here goes again.

I want to know, after reading through various postings, are there AI ships you must sail around within each of the scenarios, like AI traffic in a flight sim. I just don't want it to be me and a few other support ships just for the scenario. Would love to to be able to just sail around the various ports and sceneries, but also pass alongside other vessels of all types.

Thank
Matt

Chitch

• Forum member
Re: AI ships available or not?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 19:33:07 »

There seems to be a notable lack of port traffic or ships even tied up at a pier, but there are other ships that you can rendezvous within an activity...and on the run from San Fran to Australia, there's a stop in the Islands, and as you're picking your way through the channel....a speed boat runs back and forth past you (not at you..a nice relief), and a big honkin' Cruise Ship (which I can't think of the name of right now)...it's the one with the big 'T' top stack.

Jim

strykerpsg

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 20:09:44 »

Thanks Jim. I guess I was hoping there was more of a realistic interface with regards to other potential hazards to navigation. I do like the look but am hoping there are potential fixes in the future to address this shortcoming.

I'm also hoping there may be a demo released as well.

Matt

rss3781

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 22:01:53 »

i know that realy sux what good is radar if its not getting used to its full extent please tell me there will be more traffic or this will be the last time i buy this game.

Chitch

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 22:20:46 »

Do a run that will take you through the Antarctic...your radar will get PLENTY of use...gads....low light, fog, heavy snow, icebergs drifting in and out....if I hadn't had the radar, I'd still be there.

Jim

rss3781

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 04:53:53 »

so far that is the olny place i need it and night nav it helps but i want ai boats wave runners and speed boats

mvsmith

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 05:18:15 »

Gentlemen,

There eventually will be a Mission Editor that will allow users to create missions with AI traffic, as is the case in SS 2008.
The Free Roam environments are usually not heavily populated because not all players want to deal with it.

AI is a principal frame-rate killer. The inter-frame processing load is very high because dynamics must run for all AI ships in the near view, as well as the path and conflict resolution algorithms. Too much AI can make it impossible for some users to initialize that mission, or cause a QV abort during the mission.

As more experience is gained, and some program optimization is done, you will see more AI in missions and, perhaps, in some free roam environments.

Regards,
Marty

strykerpsg

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 17:05:43 »

Gentlemen,

The Free Roam environments are usually not heavily populated because not all players want to deal with it.

AI is a principal frame-rate killer. The inter-frame processing load is very high because dynamics must run for all AI ships in the near view, as well as the path and conflict resolution algorithms. Too much AI can make it impossible for some users to initialize that mission, or cause a QV abort during the mission.

Regards,
Marty

Marty, thanks for a more official reply from the manufacturer. I would recommend an approach more akin to that of FS2004 and FSX, where sliders are used to drive detail and amount of AI traffic. This allows users with less robust systems to still operate the game, while others with beefier setups, can run with AI traffics at various levels of intensity. I for one, run FSX, with a pretty robust system and it feels so much more realistic to see other aircraft waiting takeoff clearence or in the landing pattern.

The missing AI traffic in SSE just makes it feel like you are opertaing in a sterile training environment versus real world where you have waverunners, speedboats, and many other pleasure craft, warships and commercial traffic that ply all waterways of every port in the world. To me, a nobody in the grand scheme of things, will not part with my monies until it replicates the extreme environments it promises, which isnn't just stormy or icy waterways, but those congested with other vessels. Seems rather what one would expect from a simulator about ships, not just stormy locations. Afterall, I can also ply the FSX waterways in various available freeware vessels or higher quality payware.

Matt

Slowboat

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 17:09:42 »

Marty, thanks for a more official reply from the manufacturer. I would recommend an approach more akin to that of FS2004 and FSX, where sliders are used to drive detail and amount of AI traffic. This allows users with less robust systems to still operate the game, while others with beefier setups, can run with AI traffics at various levels of intensity. I for one, run FSX, with a pretty robust system and it feels so much more realistic to see other aircraft waiting takeoff clearence or in the landing pattern.

The missing AI traffic in SSE just makes it feel like you are opertaing in a sterile training environment versus real world where you have waverunners, speedboats, and many other pleasure craft, warships and commercial traffic that ply all waterways of every port in the world. To me, a nobody in the grand scheme of things, will not part with my monies until it replicates the extreme environments it promises, which isnn't just stormy or icy waterways, but those congested with other vessels. Seems rather what one would expect from a simulator about ships, not just stormy locations. Afterall, I can also ply the FSX waterways in various available freeware vessels or higher quality payware.

Matt

1+ Good suggestion!
 :thumbs:
Ulf

Asus P6T Deluxe, i7 940 @4.1GHz
Noctua NH-D14
OCZ Platinum XTC DDR3 1600MHz 6GB
ZOTAC GTX480 AMP!
Vista 64

mvsmith

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 17:39:28 »

Hi Matt,

I need to clear up one thing in your post:
I am not, and do not represent, the “manufacturer”. I am a user like most of the moderators who volunteer their time to help other users.

Regards,
Marty

strykerpsg

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2010, 18:00:04 »

Hi Matt,

I need to clear up one thing in your post:
I am not, and do not represent, the “manufacturer”. I am a user like most of the moderators who volunteer their time to help other users.

Regards,
Marty

Thanks Marty, taken with the shoe leather it deserves on my behalf. I apologize for associating yourself with the manufacturer. However, on a side note, most moderators do indeed have an inside track of communication with the manufacturer that the common buyer does not, so if this is the case, would greatly appreciate forwarding the suggestions is all.

I personally, have always wanted a ship simulator, but again want it realistic versus higher FPS and not very enjoyable as many are stating within the forum. Just a thought.

Matt
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines