Hello Guest September 21, 2024, 14:59:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LD lines to close Dover?  (Read 1607 times)

Stuart2007

• Forum member
LD lines to close Dover?
« on: August 15, 2010, 08:14:37 »

Is it true that LDl is leaving Dover 'as soon as possible'?

I know Maersk are a good company, but with a much longer route. On the Straits you now only have Seachance and that other lot- p-ee and o-hno.

A shame, as LD were a pretty damned good company too... Even though they are French ;)
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

--tractorman--

• Forum member
Re: LD lines to close Dover?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 08:51:32 »

They might be selling Norman Trader/Bridge aswell

It isn't going well for LD Lines at all :-\

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 10:06:04 »

LD Lines don'town the Bridge/Trader - they only charter them

A decision should have been reached though - the 15th was the deadline...

and P&O are in deep problems as well...

The only person who wants to buy Seafrance wants to turn it into a Party boat or something

:-\

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 11:16:51 »

Doesn't sound good at all...What's happening? I thought LD Lines would of been doing quite well? :-\
Kind Regards,
Jack.

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 11:17:40 »

Who knows...  ???

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 12:25:59 »

LD lines? :doh:
Kind Regards,
Jack.

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 12:32:12 »

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 15:06:03 »

Louis Dreyfuss shipping, or so I understand, is doing well... But LD Lines isn't. So hopefully if LDl can consolidate, the parent will keep them 'afloat' to give them some space to turn it around.

TFM: Is peeandohno in real problems then? If so, (sorry to all the workers trying their best) they have only the weak willed, poorly skilled, lacking in vision management to blame.

A top heavy company that really has done well to even survive this long. EVERY industry has one of these- once did well, but then complacency sets in...
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 15:08:18 »

A leaked letter (At least I think it was leeked - it ended on the local news) is saying the bad way that P&O is in due to freight, and that it is not looking good

a few days earlier the news was saying how P&O was looking to the future with the new ships
 :doh:

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 15:10:23 »

You mean like ToTh was looking to the future with its 'Chunnel beaters'... right before the board sold them out?

Every time British companies are allowed to 'consolidate' this is what happens. Look at British Leyland for an example. In days gone by there used to be 2 or 3 market leaders all competing and giving good service... Then they merge... Then complacency... Then sold.

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 20:59:28 »

I would expect to see LD finishing the Dover - Boulogne service and redelivering the two chartered vessels back to the owners at the end of this month.

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 21:23:04 »

Greetings,
Well,if it going bad with LD lines,they dont look at it commercialy to.
Since they took the ex-Prins Filip back to Ostend,they only take cars or trucks.That ship is even big enough to take extra footpassengers,witch i have asked for in some info.Many of my friends dont have cars,and we want to go to Ramgate.So taking the train from Antwerp straith to Ostend is an very easy thing(it was in the past with RMT and Sally Lines)than jump on the ship,going to Ramsgate.Taking extra passengers is also extra money for the trip across,and spending euro's on the ship in beer and lunapark stuff(not me)me only the first thing and the lady's.In Ramsgate we had good connections and we stayed over at some B&B.Next day at 16.00H we sailed back to Ostend.Well, we did that atleast 1 time eatch month,most of the time 2 times/month.
Going to England under the sea is fine,when you want to go to London,however to visite the shoreline it is not an option.
I hope that LD Lines will change their way of thinking.I also think if they keep it this way,they will shut-down in Ostend to.
Marc
N

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 21:24:41 »

It looks doubtful for Foot passengers - last I heard was they were demolishing the foot passenger ramp at Oostende

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2010, 00:39:13 »

These companies are run by people with no sense of realit and no experience of the real world.

Most industries have a similar problem- also the aviation lot- look how well ryanscare does- it has vision, the ceo has experience and determination.

Compared to shipping companies.... well, it's surprising any of them are afloat around Britain-France/Belgium... Except BF- they know a thing or two.

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 11:49:44 »

http://www.thisiskent.co.uk/news/LD-Lines-remove-ships-Dover-Boulogne-route/article-2531338-detail/article.html

The Norman Bridge is going to the Gijon-Saint-Nazaire route

The Norman Trader is... uncertain still  :-\

krisostend

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2010, 20:53:59 »

It looks doubtful for Foot passengers - last I heard was they were demolishing the foot passenger ramp at Oostende

Yes, but not only the foot passengers ramp. No cyclists, no loyalty program...
They have also closed the passengers bookings office next to the train station.
Therefore it is now only possible to book through internet, with additional reservation costs of 2,50euro.
You also paid about 250 euros for a day trip in the early summer between Ostend and Ramsgate.  Now
prices are around 110 euros fo a car and two passengers, this spring I made a day trip with Ostend Spirit,
Border control and port workers laughed with me because I paid 115 euro for a day trip, they thought I
was crazy, this is a funny way to travel with LDL between Ostend and Ramsgate.

I made two films about the last RMT vessels: Prins Albert, Prins Filip and Princesse Marie Christine

Eurovoyager, Primrose and Ostend Spirit, have a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on9r-DbtImk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmPwIuaWdjI&feature=related

« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 21:03:10 by krisostend »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines