Hello Guest April 24, 2024, 13:42:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does Ship Sim 2008/Extreme support Joystick Axis?  (Read 16242 times)

Cougar_DK

• Forum member
Does Ship Sim 2008/Extreme support Joystick Axis?
« on: August 11, 2010, 10:42:27 »

Hi,

I read in the Ship Sim Extreme manual on page 23 in the 8.2 paragraph that Ship Sim has extensive functionality for customizing controls. And I have one of these:

It has 6 normal directx axes and I'm wondering if I can use it for the split throttle in Ship Sim Extreme?

I have tried the Ship Sim 2008 demo and can't get it to recognize the axis...

Thanks in advance
Mark
"-Men do not quit playing because they grow old. They grow old because they quit playing. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes"

deltaecho

• Forum member
Re: Does Ship Sim 2008/Extreme support Joystick Axis?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 11:00:12 »

hi, i have a saitek three lever pro throttle quadrant. it works on FSX and has been said to work on SS2008 and if you look at this topic and go to page 1 and 2 and 3, you will see the discussion. personally i prefer the 3 lever because it comes with a knob that you put over the top of all three levers and you can control them all at once.

http://80.95.161.114/shipsim/forum/index.php/topic,19300.0.html

Denis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 11:00:57 »

Hi cougar_dk,

in theory, I would answer yes, SS2008 (and extremes) support 2 joysticks at the same time.

I don't know about your CHProducts throttle quadrant, but it works well for me - both ship sim 2008 and extremes - with my saitek pro flight throttle :

deltaecho

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 11:01:54 »

Hi cougar_dk,

in theory, I would answer yes, SS2008 (and extremes) support 2 joysticks at the same time.

I don't know about your CHProducts throttle quadrant, but it works well for me - both ship sim 2008 and extremes - with my saitek pro flight throttle :

did yours also come with the knob handle that attaches them all together?

Denis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 11:05:15 »

yes. Never used it though, I find it totally useless.

deltaecho

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 11:07:06 »

i think it will be useful for SSE ;D
that way its not like flight sim where i individually control each throttle. i hate when i have to make sure they're lined up together so both engines are at the same power

Denis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 11:11:44 »

Well, the only interest in having such a controller, is to be able to handle engines separately. If that's not what you want, why did you setup different axis for the different engines ? you could assign both engines to only one axis.

Cougar_DK

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 12:33:43 »

Nice, thanks for the info. Looking forward to the release  :)

Will go home and try getting the 2008 demo recognize my throttle quadrant  ;)
"-Men do not quit playing because they grow old. They grow old because they quit playing. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes"

Denis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 12:41:31 »

I'm not sure the demo version has the same features than the official release, especially with controllers settings !

Cougar_DK

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 12:52:06 »

I'm not sure the demo version has the same features than the official release, especially with controllers settings !

Ok, but will try it anyway. Since its my fourth controller and I read the 2008 only supports two, meaning I will have to make a map (CH configuration) for it and try again.

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 15:32:24 »

Hi,

I read in the Ship Sim Extreme manual on page 23 in the 8.2 paragraph that Ship Sim has extensive functionality for customizing controls. And I have one of these:

It has 6 normal directx axes and I'm wondering if I can use it for the split throttle in Ship Sim Extreme?

I have tried the Ship Sim 2008 demo and can't get it to recognize the axis...

Thanks in advance
Mark

How were you reading the sse manual ???!
My New Favorite Ship Is The Zilver :D
2000  "Virtual - Safety Training & Education Platform"
This Game Is Epic

deltaecho

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 20:35:48 »

Well, the only interest in having such a controller, is to be able to handle engines separately. If that's not what you want, why did you setup different axis for the different engines ? you could assign both engines to only one axis.
thats like for flight sim when you fly a cessna. i hate only using the 1 throttle to control the engine. thats why i fly jets

langev

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 20:42:20 »

How were you reading the sse manual ???!

You can access the PDF manual if you preordered on GamersGate...at least I can  :thumbs:

deltaecho

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 20:44:08 »

You can access the PDF manual if you preordered on GamersGate...at least I can  :thumbs:
can you post the file on here?

langev

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 20:51:27 »

can you post the file on here?

I probably could, but won't.  If the devs want it posted on the forums, then I'll leave that to them  ;D

deltaecho

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2010, 21:02:24 »

well ok then  :P

Cougar_DK

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2010, 21:11:02 »

Yeah, the manual is released for us that have preordered from GG  :)

And I can confirm that my throttle quadrant works just fine as one device and my fighterstick pro works great as rudder. I didn't realise that i had to double click on the control I tried to change  :doh:

deltaecho

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2010, 21:12:54 »

Yeah, the manual is released for us that have preordered from GG  :)

And I can confirm that my throttle quadrant works just fine as one device and my fighterstick pro works great as rudder. I didn't realise that i had to double click on the control I tried to change  :doh:
:thumbs:

Denis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2010, 21:32:15 »

thats like for flight sim when you fly a cessna. i hate only using the 1 throttle to control the engine. thats why i fly jets

I suppose you're talking about the default Cesna Skylane, which indeed has only one engine (there are lots of other Cesna models, some with several engines). The fact it has one engine doesn't mean you only use 1 throttle to control it, you should - if flying realistically - use 3 levers (throttle lever, fuel mixture lever, prop pitch lever)  - that's why, by design, the saitek throttle quadrant is built with 3 of them.

But, about ship simulation, I still don't understand why you would tie the levers together, and loose all the benefits of having independant throttle levers ! That's not very useful for planes, but when manoeuvering a ship, you very often use the engines at different levels - one forward, one backard, for example...  :)

deltaecho

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2010, 22:28:12 »

i meant the standard skylane and i meant 1 throttle for controlling the engines. i know the other 3 levers are for other things but i dont like using just 1

dodweb

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2010, 22:36:34 »

But, about ship simulation, I still don't understand why you would tie the levers together, and loose all the benefits of having independant throttle levers ! That's not very useful for planes, but when manoeuvering a ship, you very often use the engines at different levels - one forward, one backard, for example...  :)

Actually, very often when flying/taxiing a multiengine you get into situations where you have to have the engines operating at different power levels. And that's when everything is working as it should. The moment something goes wrong, youre pretty much dead if you cant control each engine separately - perhaps especially on a light twin.

And as you mentioned, even on a single piston engine Cessna you really need minimum 3 yokes to fly it halfway decently. Additional levers would be nice for gear if youre in an RG model, and flaps. Cowl flaps if youre serious about it.

For my PBY setup I had more buttons and yokes and levers and knobs than I can remember right now, and thats "only" two engines. Was decidedly more than 80 inputs at least.

Trooper63

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2010, 20:25:31 »

Yes I use the CH throttle quad for FS9, and never link them all.  It is very useful for things like the C130 and C5 which are far more responsive on the taxiway with individual throttle control.  Oh and if you practice assymetrical engine failures then they are a must.

On SS8 and SSE I am wondering whether anyone has actually modified a set of real throttles and USB's them for realistic control.  SS is an extremely useful training tool for vessel handling, and the ability to 'split the sticks' is wonderful.

So, Anyone built an aftermarket throttle system?
Sean
Master IV + MED1
Water Police Officer

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2010, 21:21:31 »

There are a fair amount of people who made their own control unit Trooper! There also a how-to-do manual somewhere here on the forum. Very useful when you want to make one your own  :)
It's the crew that makes the difference

Trooper63

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2010, 11:19:42 »

Thanks, I'll try a search of 'how-to-do'.
Sean
Master IV + MED1
Water Police Officer
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines