Hello Guest March 28, 2024, 12:15:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sailboats?  (Read 6252 times)

jwflowersii

• Forum member
Sailboats?
« on: August 04, 2010, 17:41:40 »

I'm just curious if this edition will include sailboats?

Thanks,
John

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
Re: Sailboats?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 17:45:30 »

Hi John,

If you are talking about sailing boats power under wind then no there won't be. However there may be sailboats powered by engines to use as AI vessels. I'm only speculating but from what we've seen so far there is no mentioned of sailing boats as player vessels :)

Welcome to the forum by the way ;)
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 17:51:43 »

What about the Rainbow Warrior III. ???
My New Favorite Ship Is The Zilver :D
2000  "Virtual - Safety Training & Education Platform"
This Game Is Epic

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 17:53:23 »

Yes I'd forgotten about that, but will most likely be powered via an engine, not by the sails. Although the ship does have sailed I wouldn't think they make much difference to the vessell in-game.
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

pdpx7

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 18:11:33 »

If you like sailboats try Virtual Skipper 5. http://www.virtualskipper-game.com/en/

Buzinga!

Twistedlordi

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 18:23:28 »

I think the RW3 has sails to reduce pollution and to reduce fuel consumtion, they tried installing sails on a japanese cargo ship and it reduced anual fuel consumtion by 10%.

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 19:13:35 »

The system you're referring to is slightly different. The ship is dragged by a kite, the so-called 'sky sail' system.

Awhile ago some dipstick was smart enough to raise the kite while sailing on the Northsea. A lot of helicopters fly low on their way to the platforms and back.  :-\
It's the crew that makes the difference

Ralphy

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 19:30:04 »

i bet some bright spark thought "The company is going to be so please with me for putting this up! i don't understand why they took it down going into the wind?"  :doh:

back on topic. having wind would be great however, i think there is enough things in sse. i don't want anymore things otherwise i don't think my pc can handle it

Markus97

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 19:46:00 »

i bet some bright spark thought "The company is going to be so please with me for putting this up! i don't understand why they took it down going into the wind?"  :doh:

back on topic. having wind would be great however, i think there is enough things in sse. i don't want anymore things otherwise i don't think my pc can handle it

Mayby in ss12 or ss14 you can having wind....
Want to see "Ship Simulator"-videos and trailers in real full-HD? Click here!

dodweb

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 23:40:51 »

tides/currents and winds would be an interesting addition for sure  :thumbs:

--tractorman--

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 23:52:59 »

Think we already have wind..

dodweb

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 00:33:52 »

We do? I clearly remember some vStep official stated that wind and currents are not in the game (in an earlier post about sailboats).. afaik "wind" in the game is only there to adjust direction and force of rain and similar effects? Not a "force" in a larger "sailing dynamics engine"?

I would assume that both wind and water currents could be added at the same time as they both use the same set of basic dynamics.

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 08:56:30 »

I think there are currents in the game, but not sure about wind being a physical force.

dodweb

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 10:12:20 »

SSE will not have currents. This subject has been discussed several times before. Please use the search function for existing topics if you would like to contirbute to the discussion. Thanks!

http://80.95.161.114/shipsim/forum/index.php/topic,18897.msg255672.html#msg255672

mvsmith

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 12:47:43 »

I would assume that both wind and water currents could be added at the same time as they both use the same set of basic dynamics.

That is obviously not true.

dodweb

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 23:37:31 »

What do you mean? Its just basic fluid dynamics, the same rules apply both to water and air - only difference is density.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluid_dynamics

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2010, 01:27:30 »

Dodweb, whilst I agree that Air is just water, but a lot less viscous, I would hardly say that it was basic. My computer takes anything up to 20 minutes to calculate the flow through a component.

I tried to run a wind-tunnel style test on a SR-N4 model I made once. It crashed.

Almost never here, try here.

TNeves

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2010, 01:34:15 »

I think that if V-STEP wants to include high physics in the game, it must use the graphics capabilities, and not the CPU, something like CUDA from NVIDIA, or ATI STREAM. But this is just a though.

dodweb

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2010, 19:38:13 »

You dont have to go completely overboard with accuracy to please the majority of the customer base, we're no ESA. Warm water/air rises, cold air/water sinks. Divide into small enough zones - enough to create the impression of "real" wind/water currents but still computeable. Then you just have to make ships interact with the current.

X-Plane by Austin Meyers is using simplified dynamics for this since 1994 without stressing the computer. The basis of that game is to simulate, in realtime, the airflow around several cross-sections of any given foil (blade element theory). It is not absolute in accuracy, but close enough for several real aircraft manufacturers to use it for the developement of their aircraft.

Forza 3 is able to calculate friction and mass for 8 cars/32 tires 360 times every second (only slightly slowing the game down at even the most demanding of times) making a reasonably realistic impression of a car hurling down the track. I am not able to recall how many datapoints it takes into the calculation, but I know temperature and air pressure of every tire, several parts of each shock absorber and recoil spring, aerodynamics (scripted afaik?) and similar things.

You could also just do it the MS Flight Simulator way and script it. Far less accurate but it yields results faster at far less resource cost. Perhaps not that terrible a solution as there are no player made ships in SS, and it might turn out more practical to script the dynamic behaviour of each ship in relation to a given wind/water current strength than building an entire physics engine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines