Hello Guest April 30, 2024, 07:44:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gangways  (Read 7104 times)

kalasap marine

• Forum member
Gangways
« on: August 01, 2010, 20:42:12 »

Hello all :captain:
I was wondering will the gangways of the ships really work in the game?

Ballast

• Global Moderator
Re: Gangways
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 20:45:02 »

Hi and welcome,

Gangway's and all the other parts like free fall boat, hatches, deckcranes, mob boat and such won't work  ;)
It's the crew that makes the difference

--tractorman--

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 20:47:31 »

But the life boats on vessels such as Agile Solution work in extremes, and maybe on other vessels like the cruise ship since she appeared in pictures with no life boats

Matthew Brown

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 20:51:21 »

But bow and stern doors, might* be a possibility  :thumbs:

*This could change at any given notice, VSTEP will not refund your money if you solely buy the game to have fun opening the doors, VSTEP have the right and magic powers to open the doors on ships if they choose to. If the day the game is released on they are in a good mood then there is a strong possibility.

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 20:55:29 »

We don't need another gossip topic guys  :)
It's the crew that makes the difference

kalasap marine

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 21:15:44 »

thank ya all for replying! :thumbs:

Tavares Junior

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 21:33:50 »

Gents,
In my opnion.
Gangway/Hatches/ship's cranes working in the game will just reduce the real idea of the ship handling.
Exceptions can come., Like the Oil Rig Erik Raude and life boats into the SSPro, On the SSEX maybe some life boat will work I'm not sure about it., The main idea is to keep navigate and use your imagination on ship handling around the seas.

Let's see what is coming now....

Have a nice week ;D
Tavares Jr
** Open Sea - Radar observer - SMCP - GPS / Chart Plotters / Certifyed yatch Master

Twistedlordi

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 23:08:22 »

Yea, you can launch lifeboats on some ships and also some smaller boats on board such as the small speed boats such as some vessels on the greenpeace campaign or like the one on the stern of P6, i can't remember where i read it but if you look in one of the website pictures of dover (i think) with the coast guard vessels you can see a speed boat in the water and a place for it highlighted on the deck. (maybe :P )

dodweb

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 23:31:14 »

Well, I love all the little details. I come from flightsimming, primarily Microsoft Flight Simulator. I am also a Cat-freak, so of course I mostly fly the Consolidated Model 28, or PBY, or Catalina, ingame model developed by Aerosoft. Link.

I simply cannot put into words how much I love the 4-page(afair) engine cold start checklist (the model is actually so accurately modeled and scripted that I use a copy of a real PBY-6A checklist dating from WWII I bought some years ago), the mistuned petrol generator mostly serving its duty as an auxillery power unit, the sliding roof and side windows with locking clamps, the little oil stains cowering the wings aft of the engines when you screw up the mixture, every little working button and lever and yoke and stick. Through other programs I've got voice-controlled ATC and ground services as well.

Before I moved, when I still had my 82" projector/screen setup for gaming, FSX running... as I said, addicted to cats.

While the focus of the game and the experience is still actually flying this lumbering old boat from point A to point B, the hundreds of little details really sets it off from a basic plane that just moves about. Immersion is the name of the game here. I am very much looking forward to the day we have working gangways, controllable deck cranes, wiping window wipers (I giggle every time I turn them on when flying through a storm in the PBY, swish, swoosh) and lifeboat/tender launching animations to name a few things.

Of course they should get the basic stuff right first like liquid dynamics, navigation lights and so on, but after that, they can focus on the small stuff. Yes I can manage the whole imagination thing, for example when going for a cruise with the Elbe, I usually just take a small boat on tow and use it as a tender when visiting ie Phi-Phi. It would, IMHO, still be nicer if I could take the boat out from the dock, hoist it aboard, sail away, launch it again and take it into new shores.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 23:42:40 by dodweb »

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 13:05:30 »

I agree with you here Dodweb.

Although the main aspect of the game is to navigate your ship around the environments safely, I do think that a few other details would be very welcome, especially since this is a simulator.

You do have to understand though that there are the younger generation of people on here who have no idea about the technical marine aspect of things, which is why I think we should have two control modes. Simulation and Simple. Simulation is where the real hardcore fans will be able to control smaller aspects of the ship such as deck cranes, navigation lights, bildge pumps and such and then have Simple controls where people who are not experienced in ships and just want to sail to just be able to use the more simple controls such as window wipers and such.

Obviously you could set the controls option in the menu settings but this is my opinion about this. I would very much welcome more controls and things to "do" whilst aboard the ship. You have to remember that there is MUCH more to a ship (especially the larger ones) than simply sailing it around :)
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 14:42:33 »

In the interveiw with frank i think he said there was going to be two control modes. ;)
My New Favorite Ship Is The Zilver :D
2000  "Virtual - Safety Training & Education Platform"
This Game Is Epic

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 15:31:41 »

The video interview.
My New Favorite Ship Is The Zilver :D
2000  "Virtual - Safety Training & Education Platform"
This Game Is Epic

Kristian01

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 18:58:00 »

It will be good that we can board passangers in Red Jet 4 or Red Eagle!!
Intel Core i7 2600K, @ OC 4.2GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2
MSI GTX 580 TwinfrozerII
MSI P67A-C45
Corsair Vengeance 2x2GB
Corsiar GS800 (800W)
Mouse: Cyborg R.A.T. 7

kalasap marine

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 13:36:40 »

yeah it will be cool

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2010, 13:44:16 »

It will be good that we can board passangers in Red Jet 4 or Red Eagle!!

That has not been mentioned anywhere  :-\

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2010, 14:50:35 »

Funny how some rumours take on a life of their own sometimes. Or how 'thinking out loud' by some in the past, can turn to future 'promises' that were never really made.  ;D

mvsmith

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2010, 15:51:51 »

Of course it depends upon what is meant by “board passengers”. Passengers can be boarded and debarked in SS08 using the Taxi waypoint.
If one means visible passengers going aboard, that has never been announced by any responsible person.

Kristian01

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2010, 18:48:34 »

I said it would be good that passangers can go in/off.....
I know it won't be in game  8)
Intel Core i7 2600K, @ OC 4.2GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2
MSI GTX 580 TwinfrozerII
MSI P67A-C45
Corsair Vengeance 2x2GB
Corsiar GS800 (800W)
Mouse: Cyborg R.A.T. 7

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2010, 19:23:23 »

Are you sure it didn't say "bored passengers" ?   ;D

larsdehaan

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2010, 20:36:40 »

lol

jaffe o

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2010, 13:49:16 »

where did vstep say you can launch lifeboats(excluded the R.I.B.)

michael_taal

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2010, 14:29:05 »

it also nice if the ballast is different if you are loaded or not

Usernme

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2010, 15:21:05 »

where did vstep say you can launch lifeboats(excluded the R.I.B.)
Maybe a speculation a few days ago, but it's been confirmed in one of the new trailers now.

larsdehaan

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2010, 15:24:23 »

i tought it was rhib (rigid hull inflateable boat)

Usernme

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2010, 15:30:44 »

i tought it was rhib (rigid hull inflateable boat)
Both ways are correct.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RHIB
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines