Hello Guest March 29, 2024, 02:02:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Realistic PLANING HULLS and RPM  (Read 7970 times)

EnergyHarness

• Forum member
Realistic PLANING HULLS and RPM
« on: July 20, 2010, 09:09:29 »

Alright, I go fishing alot and I get used to light craft with outboards.
The first thing I noticed about this simulator was that the boats do not plane very realistically (ie, jump out of the water and skim across the surface).

When a REAL boat planes it goes through three stages:

Displacement

-------[_____/------water level

Pre-planing (front pokes out of water

/ front
-------[        -----------water level

Planing ( front and back is on top of water,)

_____~[_____/_______water level

In ship simulator 2008, boats that can plane (NOT SHIPS, they always displace) do not have much of a transition between planing and displacing, only the boat coming out of the water and the wash going white. :-\

A REAL boat doesn't go from 1000rpm to 6000rpm in a heartbeat, and wait for the boats speed to catch up
A real boat increases rpm (even at full throttle) normally only as the boat accelerates. Also, the wash pattern changes considerably. Like a manual car without gears.

We should also be able to adjust the trim (angle of boat against water) to better suit current conditions (and for fun)                        /
high trim  ___[    _________
low trim   ___[_____/

If this ever because an addition (come on, a marine simulator really should already have this) then we should have access to more smaller boats (like fishing boats and runabouts) to demonstrate this physical aspect.

Thank you for reading, and I look forward to your views on this subject. ;)

clanky

• Forum member
Re: Realistic PLANING HULLS and RPM
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 09:28:01 »

Everything that you have said above is right, but....

The physics of planing hulls and the physics of displacement hulls are very different.  I would imagine that modelling the two accurately with the same game / physics engine would be very difficult and as this is a ship simulator rather than a small boat simulator then I would rather that the physics of large ship handling was as close as possible to the real thing and sacrifice realism in the small boats rather than the other way around.

EnergyHarness

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 10:04:38 »

Sure, it might be hard to combine the two, but the people creating this game are professional programmers. They should know exactly what they're doing. I just think that a simulator should be able to recreate a planing boat.

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 17:34:10 »

See the Marbella Delight Superpack over at the Creator's Forum, they put a plane in.
Almost never here, try here.

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 16:59:55 »

See the Marbella Delight Superpack over at the Creator's Forum, they put a plane in.
mind you wait till sse is out  :thumbs:
Captain Cadet
Please don't message me for technical support!

Aad The Pirate

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 20:18:07 »

Sure, it might be hard to combine the two, but the people creating this game are professional programmers. They should know exactly what they're doing. I just think that a simulator should be able to recreate a planing boat.
This Simulator is called Ship Simulator 2008, and NOT Ship Simulator PROFESSIONAL  :doh:
I rest my case.
Feel free to have a look @: http://members.chello.nl/a.vermeulen14/

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 10:04:58 »

This Simulator is called Ship Simulator 2008, and NOT Ship Simulator PROFESSIONAL  :doh:
I rest my case.

I hate it when people bring that excuse up  :-\

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

Ralphy

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 12:10:09 »

I hate it when people bring that excuse up  :-\

I hate it when people bring up an old topic  :-\

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 12:49:01 »

I hate it when people bring up an old topic  :-\

That just fustrates me so much, like why did Microsoft managed to make a Flight Simulator, Train simulator which has all the features to allow players to fully experience flying or train drivng and VSTEP decides to make a ship simulator which has all the the features but they put it up there then they make another ship simulator with limitations, then another one still with limitations :-\ :-\ .

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 21:03:31 »

The differences in ShipSimPro and ShipSim2008 / SSX is not that ShipSimPro has more realistic handling, but that it interfaces with electronic navigational aids so that it can actually be used as part of a bridge set-up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines