Hello Guest April 25, 2024, 13:08:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Night time lighting?  (Read 5167 times)

MatsB

• Forum member
Night time lighting?
« on: June 26, 2010, 17:43:05 »

Hi!
What about night time driving in the new version? The current 2008 version shows all ships at all times in full colour (though sometimes in a dull light at night) which is both unrealistic and provides no opportunity to practice interpreting position, speed, light house signatures etc. I am truly hoping for real world situations where all you see is a blip on the radar and green, red and white lights from the ships without any "arcade" shilouettes.

Anyone else out there looking for the same level of realism?

Cheers!
/Mats

Matthew Brown

• Forum member
Re: Night time lighting?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 18:44:44 »

I think... I remember that in the graphics section on the main menu, there is a bit where you can choose the visibilty of other ships, in other words, the distance at which you can see the other other ship.

Of course I may be totally wrong!  :doh: I can't remember!

krytsch

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 20:37:09 »

Ho MatsB!

The lack of illumination and the way objects are shown at night is also a problem for me. As a result of this, I don't like to play night missions.

I've had a look at Virtual Sailor. Although there are lots of things in that game, that I don't like, the visuals at nigth are a lot better.

I also do not like the way cities look at night in SS08 - everything is dark at 8 o'clock - in Hamburg, New York etc. Unbelievable ...

I hope this will be improved in SSEx - this is more important than launching life boats.

Minime

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 03:08:33 »

take a look at SSE guys, I'm sure I can recall that there was a great improvement showed in a pic. Also this has been covered in some other topic, might find it by doing a search.

thanks to Tore/TJK for this awesome sig

valleyforge

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 03:15:48 »

I'm definitely looking for the level of realism...lol...and seeing screenshots of SSE I believe that nighttime lighting will be more advanced. I'm not sure about the radar part though...
Paul Watson is at it again: Doing absolutely nothing ;)

K Jack

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 07:38:51 »

I would be asking about the lights on red and green buoys and how they blink to mark a channel for ships at night. Hopefully, it would be something to see in SSE.
Captain Jack, explorer of seven seas.

MatsB

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 20:45:57 »

Hi all and thanks for your feed back!

I know the professional version has proper night lighting but it is way to expensive for us private individuals who want to practice real world situations rather than just play a game. Shipsim would be a wonderful tool for all small yacht clubs and small scale training classes if there was a "semi pro" version for marine use. No need for large scale monitors and complete bridge simulation, simply a one on one tool for classroom situations and practice at home... I could certainly spend some serious money on that, but not enough to pay for the pro version unfortunately...  :blush:

Safe sailing!
/Mats

metman

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 15:26:23 »

Like the others I would like to see more realism but as Mats so ably stated, if you want that sort of realism then you will have to pay out for the professional version.  Remember 'our' version is only a 'game', only the big payers get the all singing all dancing version, shame I know!!

metman

alazose

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 08:26:23 »

The topic of night lighting of ships and cities is certainly a worthy one, and has been raised in prior Forum posts.  Then as now, VSTEP did not respond positively, so it’s obvious that Extremes will not have night lighting.  But don’t give up the good fight.

oceandream

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 20:44:39 »

The topic of night lighting of ships and cities is certainly a worthy one, and has been raised in prior Forum posts.  Then as now, VSTEP did not respond positively, so it’s obvious that Extremes will not have night lighting.  But don’t give up the good fight.
:thumbs:
agreed

Join Greenpeace virtual today
We need more members too keep out forum active

dexter7

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 15:07:50 »

The topic of night lighting of ships and cities is certainly a worthy one.
agree for that
My PC specs:
AMD Phenom II X4 965 (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
600W Power Supply
MSI N760 TF IV OC
8GB or RAM
Acer X213W ~ Cyberpower PC Gamer Ultra 2097 Desktop PC
Favorite games: Ship Simulators, MS Flight Sims, Railworks 3,

oceandream

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 16:15:32 »

lets me say it like this...
In the ss series the where never controlable light...
the harbours and ports look like there is black out...
now look at sydney at midnight...

i hope that syndey will look like this at night in SSE
another demonstration

look at rotterdam how nicely lighted at night....and having a black rotterdam at night??? no!!

And no controleble light on ships???
is that sooo hard for vstep??????
if we are gonna sail ships where not much is too control i might be well as dissapointed.. :thumbdown:
in SS08 i was not happy there were no lights on the harbours + controls for the light,anchors and controls on the bridge and radars.
If you want too make SSE Extrmes???
1. Controls for light.
2.Nicely lighted ports (no more blacked out ports)

This is another request for VSTEP....

Controlable light on ships and harbours with lights.....no blacked out harbours

Kind regards

« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 16:20:03 by oceandream »

Join Greenpeace virtual today
We need more members too keep out forum active

krytsch

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 22:25:35 »

I agree!

I would be satisfied, even if it doesn't look as good as on these photos. I don't even care for controllable lights. I just want it to look nice and a little more authentic at night. And, of course, I want it to run properly on my machine.

Have a look at Virtual Sailor - maybe that these two games are not  comparable - but they have managed to do something, that at least reminds of harbour lights. If you take a closer look, you will notice, that it is only a fake - but it gives an atmospheric touch (but don't look at VS in daylight - especially the ships (including their handling) are horrible) - and either are the buildings and other objects ...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 00:23:52 by krytsch »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines