Hello Guest September 19, 2024, 02:32:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some Titanic walkthrough bug: Titanic Superpack, or just me?  (Read 2062 times)

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member

Some time ago, I was walking in walkthrough mode on the Titanic, enjoying all the effort put forth by Jason DeDonno and the VSTEP team. I walked to the stern of the Titanic and looked around, eventually looking at the docking bridge. I witnessed the attatched image: someone gave each of the docking bridge telegraphs two extra handles! I have images from before the release of the Titanic Superpack, and the second set of handles (the main engine telegraph handles rigged on the docking bridge telegraphs) did not exist. Did someone add these extra handles in the Titanic Superpack, or is this some bug that's exclusive to me?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 05:52:03 by RMS Gigantic »

matt5674

Re: Some Titanic walkthrough bug: Titanic Superpack, or just me?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 08:32:10 »

I think it was for some "Ease of Steering." I got side vies of them from the Docking Bridge on the Poop Deck and a size comparison in the main bridge of the telegraph handles. Turns out the stern's "Extra Set of Handles" are bigger than the original handles.

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 08:49:13 »

I found that that if you run the superpack's installer and check "Restore default controls," the handles go away, which means that someone made the decision to add them in the superpack.

One of the funny things about it is that the moving handles are not on their identical counterparts in the navigating bridge :doh:

That and that isn't the purpose of either of those telegraphs ;)

You can read about them all here: http://marconigraph.com/titanic/telegraphs/mgy_eotelegraphs1.html
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 09:40:11 by RMS Gigantic »

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 12:16:07 »

The idea of the extra set of telegraph handles is that, with the after steering wheel, it is possible now, with the super pack version, to use the after bridge to control the ship. Unfortunately the addition of the extra handles did not allow for the original ones to be removed. On the original "Titanic" the after steering wheel was operative but not the telegraphs. There had been a number of "moans" that it was not possible to con the ship from aft and this was done in order to try to accomodate such players. If a player wishes it is now possible to "drive" the ship from down aft, rather than just look at the after bridge.  In reality the telegraphs on the docking bridge were NOT engine room telegraphs, merely for transmitting steering and mooring orders from the bridge.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 12:19:52 by Traddles »
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 18:32:23 »

Indeed, as http://marconigraph.com/titanic/telegraphs/mgy_eotelegraphs4.html says ;)

It would be fascinating to use the remaining telegraphs in some type of purpose that resembles their original use.

For example, if a player uses the "manoeuvring" telegraph from the bridge, nothing happens aside from the cooresponding handle on the docking bridge telegraph moving to match, but if they use it from the docking bridge, the handle/needle in the bridge moves and then, in response, the main engine order telegraphs have their handles/needles move in response. Basically, from the bridge it would be dead, but from the docking bridge it could issue engine orders with a considerable delay.

Stevo1995

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 19:15:10 »

I think it was for some "Ease of Steering."

Ease the stearing, didnt the titanic crash because it didnt stear quick enough
Sailing the seas with Stevo

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 20:53:32 »

Ease the stearing, didnt the titanic crash because it didnt stear quick enough
No, and I will leave it at that.

mvsmith

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 01:25:39 »

Yes. There were many factors that contributed to the disaster: speed and arrogance among others.
But the reason that the collision could not be avoided in the 40 seconds from alarm to collision was that the steering engine took 30 seconds to put the rudder hard over. Even if the bow could have been swung clear, the stern would have hit. A port-around would have been impossible because the steering engine would have taken another 60 seconds to put the rudder over to the opposite side.

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 02:41:19 »

To be more exact, 37 seconds :P
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines