Hello Guest March 29, 2024, 01:04:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Icebreakers  (Read 21477 times)

arkon

• Forum member
Icebreakers
« on: June 09, 2010, 18:05:44 »

Since one of the environments will be the Antarctic and it is a continent of ice doesn't it make sense to have an icebreaker in the game? Has anyone have any facts or heard rumours about about it?

Art

saltydog

• Forum member
Re: Icebreakers
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 19:06:21 »

If the environment were the Arctic, I would agree..Plenty of need for icebreakers there..
In the Antarctic there are mainly ice-strengthened (cruise-expedition) ships..
The Esperanza is a heavy-ice class vessel, perfect for the environment..

ps: here is the Esperanza's webcam.. ;)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 19:13:25 by saltydog »

mvsmith

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 22:53:41 »

As Salty said, the Arctic region is a sea covered by ice floes that need breaking.  Antarctica is a continent covered by ice, which calves bergs. Icebreakers are not much use against bergs.
Only in certain places, the Weddell Sea for instance, are breakable ice floes found. There are mini-bergs, solitary hunks of ice that can damage a hull that has not been strengthened to withstand impact with them.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 23:08:38 by mvsmith »

Captain. Mitch

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 23:03:32 »

Arkon.

There is for now, one and great Greenpeace Icebreaker called "Esperanza"

"Esperanza is the latest and largest vessel in the Greenpeace fleet, replacing the now retired Greenpeace.Esperanza (Spanish for "hope"). It was launched at 2002."
It is 72.3 meters long and it can reach the speed of 16 kn.

Here you are ALL the informations about it: http://www.greenpeace.org/international/en/about/ships/the-esperanza/

And here you are some pictures, so you can see it in the Antartic envirement with great effects.

Pictures form Ship Simulator Extremes:

Pictures from the real world:

The official presentation of the Ship Simulator Extremes ( Video Clip ):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYIezJBHG3k

The interwiew with the Frank Dolmans:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAWFnHKIX98

New Images:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv8FwVPwouQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT89jlyL4gU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eCbqJq-ABE

So that's it! Hope you like it...  ;)

Enjoy on the forum!

Kind Regards.
Capt. Mitch

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 23:13:18 »

Just for the record: the Esperanza is not an icebreaker..
This is an icebreaker.. ;)

matt5674

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 23:24:15 »

Like what Saltydog said, the Esperanza is NOT an icebreaker. She is a Research Vessel.

Captain. Mitch

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 23:28:19 »

Yes sorry, my bad!

But i'm not very expirienced in that point, on theyr website there writes "IceBreaker" so i understended it like that, as i sad, i don't have a lot of experience on that way.

Once again, sorry!  ;)

Kind Regards.
Capt Mitch!

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 00:00:38 »

No worries Mitch, that was a nice post anyway.. :)

Scottyk9

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 01:03:27 »

The Esp is not a ice breaker but what I understand it has a level 2 ice rated hull.

Only 16 knots.. I thought it was quicker but it's fast enough to engage the fleet. Though it would be impossible to run down the Harpoon ships so I guess alot of the missions is going to be tracking the Nisshin Maru and blocking whale transfers.
Operation no compromise 2010-2011 Sea Shepherd anti-whaling campaign

sadsid († 2016)

• IN MEMORIAM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 07:58:59 »

HI
At 72 metres and with a top speed of 15 knots, the ship is ideal for fast and long range work. Her ice class status means we can also work in polar regions.

MVEsperanza

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 17:28:22 »

Like what Saltydog said, the Esperanza is NOT an icebreaker. She is a Research Vessel.

Ok let me clear this up, Sincer ive done my research on this vessel, she is Expedition Ship, not a research vessel she doesnt hold labs or anything like that onboard... She has ice classification which is nice for here in anarctica, She Can break through the very well but shes not any ice breaker (Ice breakers go on top of the ice then use there presure to break the ice) the esperanza doesnt do that but she can go through the ice not Like Ice caps but shes ice classified, and So her top speed is 16 knots as seen in Captain Mitchs picture, shes not goping through solid ice like the ice breaker saltydog posted!

The Esp is not a ice breaker but what I understand it has a level 2 ice rated hull.

Only 16 knots.. I thought it was quicker but it's fast enough to engage the fleet. Though it would be impossible to run down the Harpoon ships so I guess alot of the missions is going to be tracking the Nisshin Maru and blocking whale transfers.

Yes im sure that that is what her missions are, because the steve irwin goes the same speed maybe 2 knots slower but i think th harpoon vessels go like 25 knots! But she can stay on the Nishan Marus tail like shes dont in the past to prevent a whale transfer!!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 17:30:38 by MVEsperanza »

Scottyk9

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 21:08:15 »

On one engine the Steve Iriwn can reach 12.5 knots on both engines it has a top speed of 16.5

The Sea Shepherd ship the Bob Barker can reach 21 knots.

The Bob is a ice class ship like the Esp.

The harpon interceptor ady gil which was destroyed was able to reach 30 knots.

Hopefully VSTEP can eventually secure both lisences to bring some SS ships to SSE.. but I doubt that happens given the realtionship between GP and SS
Operation no compromise 2010-2011 Sea Shepherd anti-whaling campaign

K Jack

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 23:54:56 »

Actually, the Esperanza is both a Expedition/Research vessel. Unless somebody knows the difference between Expedition and Research. She also use to be a firefighter ship for the Russian navy.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 23:56:40 by K Jack »
Captain Jack, explorer of seven seas.

MVEsperanza

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 00:13:44 »

Actually, the Esperanza is both a Expedition/Research vessel. Unless somebody knows th difference between Expedition and Research. She also use to be a firefighter ship for the Russian navy.

OR  if wed like to even deeper into her

Esperanza was part of the fleet used by the Russian Navy for firefighting ships in Murmansk.  Project B-99 Vikhr Class  ;), and i believe that the difference from research and expedition, i think a expedition could be anything like a whale expedition or a Dolphin Expedition and research is just research so i could be wrong

whitestarline1912

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 18:24:40 »

what is an icebreaker?

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2010, 18:27:46 »

A ship, that breaks ice. :)

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2010, 18:32:34 »

Not to be confused with Titanic, which is broken by ice.
Almost never here, try here.

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2010, 19:03:34 »

Here is an interesting site that explains about ice-strengthened ships and ice breakers.. :)

http://www.coolantarctica.com/Antarctica%20fact%20file/ships/icebreaker.htm
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 22:51:19 by saltydog »

K Jack

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2010, 08:32:46 »

Thanks for the info, saltydog. But we all know that icebreakers have very strong hull that allow them to rest their weight on the ice and separate it. Or just cut through the ice that are floating nearby. If only Titanic has a bow thruster then that disaster with the iceberg would have been avoided and she would have been in a museum since she was a famous ship. But i guess that type of technology wasn't in existence in Titanic's time.

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2010, 09:37:32 »

I laugh at how GreenPeace would hate the site of heavy air pollution, but during their one chance at catching a ship which burns 850 tons of coal a day, none of their vessels in-game can catch up ;D

Titanic's 23.75 knot top speed is rather heavily outside of the Esperanza's and Rainbow Warrior III's! And that inflatable boat? Not even tall enough to let someone into one of the ship's doors!

Sam

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2010, 12:59:24 »

Thanks for the info, saltydog. But we all know that icebreakers have very strong hull that allow them to rest their weight on the ice and separate it. Or just cut through the ice that are floating nearby. If only Titanic has a bow thruster then that disaster with the iceberg would have been avoided and she would have been in a museum since she was a famous ship. But i guess that type of technology wasn't in existence in Titanic's time.

A bow thruster only works on very slow speeds, so I dont think so!

It only gets effective under 3-4 knots.

And I doubt Titanic would have been preserved, I think she much rather would have ended on a scrapyard like almost every ship.

But now lets shut up about Titanic before this topic gets out af hand.

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2010, 21:43:50 »

I quite agree Sam..Anytime ice is mentioned the Titanic comments start..Enough allready.. 8)

Sjoerd92

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2010, 10:47:14 »

Sea Shepherd. Titanic.

What more to get a topic out of hand?

K Jack

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2010, 12:00:43 »

Yea, but if the disaster would have have been adverted then none of us would have been mentioning Titanic or Vstep would have never bring the ship into the game. Isn't that obvious? Anyhow i'm sorry if i cause any conflict but i'll put the subject to rest and continue to talk about icebreakers.  :-X

larsdehaan

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2010, 12:25:32 »

greenpeace had also a whale war going on against research vessels from japan and now you're telling me it is a research ship
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines