Hello Guest April 19, 2024, 08:32:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Expectations of SSE  (Read 8551 times)

K Jack

• Forum member
Expectations of SSE
« on: May 27, 2010, 06:28:50 »

What we should expect of Ship Simulator Extremes in terms of ships, environments and the performance of the game as compare to SS06 and SS08?
Captain Jack, explorer of seven seas.

Wave Music

• Forum member
Re: Expectations of SSE
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 08:29:50 »

I expect there huge floating cranes like Saipem 7000, Hermod or Thialf & SR.N4 hovercrafts.   Neither were in SS 06-08.
But that's just me.  My expectations are always copyrighted so no stealing of my expectations!
keep it gnarly

Mattaust

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 08:50:12 »

What we should expect of Ship Simulator Extremes in terms of ships, environments and the performance of the game as compare to SS06 and SS08?

Well, i believe the performance of the game will be an increase as it requires the same specs as 2008, Also to note is that they might of coded/scripted the game better to run on systems better.

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 15:42:12 »

I expect there huge floating cranes like Saipem 7000, Hermod or Thialf & SR.N4 hovercrafts.   Neither were in SS 06-08.
But that's just me.  My expectations are always copyrighted so no stealing of my expectations!

That's copywrited too. That'll be £5,000,000 in my bank account by next Friday, please.
Almost never here, try here.

Wave Music

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 16:19:41 »

That's copywrited too. That'll be £5,000,000 in my bank account by next Friday, please.

Don't lie! 
keep it gnarly

Ralphy

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 16:32:35 »

McG i don't believe 1 bit that you own the copyright to it (im not gonna say it just incase you do  ;D)

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 17:05:04 »

now back on topic

A while ago when i was bored i emailed VSTEP asking if they would have the solent in extreames and wether the Red Jet's actual dock in soton will be there. See below for email (enjoy it, it took me about 5 mins trailing back through 67 pages of emails)

hehe excellent...

But what about Portsmouth...?  ;)

Ralphy

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 17:14:29 »

category = General question
name = Alex Ralph
email =
description = SSE
question = in Shipsim extremes will there be the solent and if so will there
be the pontoon where Red Jet 4 docks? seen in picture
http://i46.tinypic.com/2h4dlzb.jpg

P.S will there be a more detailed portsmouth aswell so you can moore your warship there?

Happy TFM?

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 17:16:42 »

;D

great idea  :thumbs:

Shipdude98

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2010, 05:04:35 »

Ahhh... SSE, this will possibly be the best simulation game ever!  :2thumbs:
Join my Multiplayer Cargo Service! (MCS) Info available on the SS08 multiplayer forums.

Bottman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2010, 11:35:54 »

Ahhh... SSE, this will possibly be the best simulation game ever!  :2thumbs:
...sure - compared to other ship simulators!  ::)
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!
Look at www.elbdampfer-hamburg.de

Lalo

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2010, 13:18:19 »

Hello everybody ! First of all, sorry for my English mistakes, I don't use to write English often, but I wanted to give my point of view to the most amount of people.

I used Ship Simulator 2008 during my sea man training at home and I have to admit, it didn't fit what I expected from a so-called simulator. That's why I was really disappointed.  The new version is going to arrive and the main questions are “How many boats?”, “Is the Titanic be in Extreme?”... I know, each one has is own expectations, but according to me, the main point doesn't concern new boats, or new graphics but more realism through complete buoyage (safety marks, navigation marks...), lighthouse, tide calculation with real weather data downloaded (meaning navaigate with the real weather condition) allowing to prepare navigation with a paper nautical chart for instance.  I'm not pure enough to ask for star navigation ;-) yet, it would be so great to deal with accurate “Navigation”.  The possibility to make bearings with commissions along shores would be a good step. The use of the radar screen should be completely managed and the addition of a sounding screen would take navigation further... Lot of thing such as light navigation boat should also be manageable or flags,  complete BLU and VHF  radio management.

For me, Ship Simulator was just an unserious game, giving the impression to sailing, but it is empty, nothing to do excepted pushing motor on and head the boat towards wide ocean with nothing to do... So, I hope the new version is going to be more realistic becoming a real set to teach sea to Elephants (In France, this is the name given to ground people) and allow them to discover the navigation and sailing world but as the same a tool for people to train themselves.

Thank you for reading !
Bon vent !  ;)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 19:12:22 by Lalo »

K Jack

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2010, 19:28:17 »

Hello everybody ! First of all, sorry for my English mistakes, I don't use to write English often, but I wanted to give my point of view to the most amount of people.

As a former seaman, I used Ship Simulator 2008 during my training and I have to admit, it didn't fit what I expected from a so-called simulator. That's why I was really disappointed.  The new version is going to arrive and the main questions are “How many boats?”, “Is the Titanic be in Extreme?”... I know, each one has is own expectations, but according to me, the main point doesn't concern new boats, or new graphics but more realism through complete buoyage (safety marks, navigation marks...), lighthouse, tide calculation with real weather data downloaded (meaning navaigate with the real weather condition) allowing to prepare navigation with a paper nautical chart for instance.  I'm not pure enough to ask for star navigation ;-) yet, it would be so great to deal with accurate “Navigation”.  The possibility to make bearings with commissions along shores would be a good step. The use of the radar screen should be completely managed and the addition of a sounding screen would take navigation further... Lot of thing such as light navigation boat should also be manageable or flags,  complete BLU and VHF  radio management.

For me, Ship Simulator was just an unserious game, giving the impression to sailing, but it is empty, nothing to do excepted pushing motor on and head the boat towards wide ocean with nothing to do... So, I hope the new version is going to be more realistic becoming a real set to teach sea to Elephants (In France, this is the name given to ground people) and allow them to discover the navigation and sailing world but as the same a tool for people to train themselves.

Thank you for reading !
Bon vent !  ;)

Hi lalo

You are just like few other members on this forum who are only questioning about the dynamics and realism of SS as compared to those in maritime universities or colleges. The point is that we may never know if Vstep has the same technology as those in maritime schools which includes expensive computers with update softwares. We must not rush for things because might not get it especially in a proper manner. There are only doubts about up-to-date dynamics and realism which could be presented in SS Extremes even for those graphics that you describe. As for the issue with boats that would be in SS Extremes check in any of these links:
http://80.95.161.114/shipsim/forum/index.php/topic,18764.0.html
http://80.95.161.114/shipsim/forum/index.php/topic,18885.0.html
http://80.95.161.114/shipsim/forum/index.php/topic,18829.0.html

Otherwise, you will have to wait until SS Extremes is launched.
Regards
         K Jack

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2010, 21:56:46 »

The point is that we may never know if Vstep has the same technology as those in maritime schools

Seeing as they make the software for those schools, then I am pretty sure that they do.

Ship Simulator is a game. I doubt most of the inexperienced players will appreciate it if it took Latitude hundreds of miles to stop, and it would be very difficult to find buyers for the game.

I would like to have a simulator which has waves and tides and currents e.t.c., but I would have to buy NAUTIS, Vstep's more realistic, more professional simulator. And that costs €4000. Plus the cost of the new computer I would have to inevitably buy.

So, in short, the reasons why Ship Simulator is so unrealistic are that it has to appeal to a wide audience, not realism-seekers like you or me, and the fact that there is a direct correlation between money spent and realism achieved.

Don't expect to learn the shiphandling on a home computer, unless you have a professional simulator at home. The real thing ain't that easy.
Almost never here, try here.

K Jack

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2010, 01:49:59 »

Seeing as they make the software for those schools, then I am pretty sure that they do.

Ship Simulator is a game. I doubt most of the inexperienced players will appreciate it if it took Latitude hundreds of miles to stop, and it would be very difficult to find buyers for the game.

I would like to have a simulator which has waves and tides and currents e.t.c., but I would have to buy NAUTIS, Vstep's more realistic, more professional simulator. And that costs €4000. Plus the cost of the new computer I would have to inevitably buy.

So, in short, the reasons why Ship Simulator is so unrealistic are that it has to appeal to a wide audience, not realism-seekers like you or me, and the fact that there is a direct correlation between money spent and realism achieved.

Don't expect to learn the shiphandling on a home computer, unless you have a professional simulator at home. The real thing ain't that easy.

Exactly my point, McGherkin. I don't why some people won't get used to this Ship Simulator. At least it better than the one under Google Earth. That's why i like it. 

Lalo

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2010, 17:53:22 »

Hello !

I though about your previous answers.

Why not integrate a level menu from easy to realist setting. Sailing the Latitude could be exiting! This boat is heavy, powerful but as the same time fragile : the mains skills required are anticipation and patience meaning preparation, bearings... Knowing what we are doing now, yet what we are doing next, how the boat is going to react.  That's why I have the impression developers "cheated" people because there is a big gap between ShipSim and reality.

I gave my opinion about this argument in the French board : the Microsoft Flight Simulator FSX (from 2006) is much more complete and sophisticated and can run on a 2008 computer... More over, one of my friend train with to prepare and pass his Private Pilot License and the Air France selections. This software was relased at a 65 euro price. For him, it was a big help. So why always dealing with "expensive ship school simulator" when other succeeded with a flight simulator. Concerning price, I prefer to pay 60 or 100 euros for a complete software dealing with navigation and "real" ship handling than 35 euros.

I really hope Extreme will be something really different from ShipSim 2008 and not by the boat number or graphic level.

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2010, 17:57:14 »

Hi Lalo,

You must remember that Ship Simulator 2008 is only the second ShipSim game produced by VSTEP, and I can tell you that is already a huge step from SS06, which was much more basic. 

Flightsim has had 20+ years to develop, ShipSim has had 3 or so, so I'm sure in time it will become more realistic. I think Frank mentioned there will be difficulty levels in SSE in one of his interviews. :)

Cheers,
Mike

K Jack

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2010, 19:50:40 »

According to Frank:
"Once the legal aspect and permission are covered, there you go, step one covered for you, only forty-seven to go. These 47 steps range from the complex integration of the vessel with the realistic math and dynamics model, to creating a correct collision model and valid 3D update of the vessel. Things that are very work intensive, and require lots of patience and skill. No one ever claimed it was easy, but at least now you know why we have to make careful choices and there are a lot of variables to take into account before a vessel can come to life in our game!"

I was correct when i said that the process of creating advance dynamics and realism is gonna take a long period to implement. I've already told a few members in this forum about this issue, when they complain about not getting the realism of Ship Simulator as compared to maritime schools. I did know that this issue was raise in the topic of ship wakes as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines