Hello Guest September 20, 2024, 09:53:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Credit Card PIN Code request  (Read 7989 times)

Normandie

• Forum member
Credit Card PIN Code request
« on: August 24, 2007, 08:20:58 »

Hi everybody,

Sorry if this question is not in the correct forum, After trying shipsim in a friend's house and the demo I wanted to purchase one but:

After requesting me the credit card number and so on (the usually things you have to give); a white page asked me for the PIN code of the credit card!!! I have been talking with people about that and most of them say that you never are told to give the PIN code (the code you use, for example, to get money in the streets machines)

It's normal? It was Pishing?

Could someone write exactly all the pages that appear to you in order to purchase the sim?

thank you very much in advance

cdfuture41

• Forum member
Re: Credit Card PIN Code request
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 08:28:14 »

I do not think they are asking for your pin code for ATMs they are asking for the security validation number on the back of your card ( top right on a Visa ).
Keep your rudder clear out There !

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 08:31:52 »

Yes, there asking for that 4 digit code on the back of the card.

Parsec

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 08:34:25 »

The validation number on a VISA is three digits only...

Eckblad

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 08:56:15 »

Hi Normandie.
Are you using an American Express card.?
In the affirmative you can find the four digit code on the front of the card just above the last five digits of your card number.
Hope it helps.
Eckblad

Normandie

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 10:59:03 »

thanks for the interest!!!

I know the security code of 3 digits in the back of the card (VISA) in my case, that code was asked to me with the card number and so on...

but after that, a new page appeared asking me for the PIN, and in a sentece below they confirmed that the PIN wanted was the one you use for taking money in the street's machines for example. that's because I worried. Even more, that page was in spanish (all the rest were in english) and had some faults. I close mozilla inmediately.

someone knows more?

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 11:19:44 »

Did you make sure you were ordering this through the official website or is this a third party website?

I would NOT enter that code. If it was a 3rd party website, then don't trust it. If it was the official website then make sure you were accessing the real website through www.shipsim.com and not something sounding similar.

I bought my copy over the counter so I don't know what the purchase screen looks like but there's no way anyone should be asking for that code.

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Jackal

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 11:39:21 »

I think it's better you check your pc with a good anti-spyware program like AdAware; I've never seen a website asking for my PIN, just my validation number. As stated by Stu, check that the website is www.shipsim.com and be sure that the page address where you put your credit card number in, begins with https (note the "s").
Ciao,

Corrado

Orinoco

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 11:44:49 »

thanks for the interest!!!

I know the security code of 3 digits in the back of the card (VISA) in my case, that code was asked to me with the card number and so on...

but after that, a new page appeared asking me for the PIN, and in a sentece below they confirmed that the PIN wanted was the one you use for taking money in the street's machines for example. that's because I worried. Even more, that page was in spanish (all the rest were in english) and had some faults. I close mozilla inmediately.

someone knows more?

That sounds extremely dodgy. I would NEVER enter mine online, as you have said. I would NOT carry out the transaction and would run a full anti-spyware and anti-virus scan, just in case.

Al Bundy

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 11:57:02 »

Hi everybody,

After requesting me the credit card number and so on (the usually things you have to give); a white page asked me for the PIN code of the credit card!!! I have been talking with people about that and most of them say that you never are told to give the PIN code (the code you use, for example, to get money in the streets machines)

Question: did you enter your PIN? If so, then get your card blocked right away. In any case I would keep an eye on your bank statement and if any draft you don't know anything about then reject the draft and block the card.

Just a piece of advice but you proberly know this already :)

Normandie

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2007, 20:29:51 »

thank you all!!!

well, it seems that's not spyware or something like that, but the page of a company that offers the cashing machine service in Spain for the type of credit card I have, I don't like it still, so I would try the bank transfer. Or maybe make contact with them (if they really exist :D :D)

Best Regards

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2007, 21:36:37 »

Id buy it directly from shipsim website if I were you. If anything does go wrong, at least you know they will sort it. They DO post internationally if you order the boxed version

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Normandie

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2007, 18:49:51 »

thanks Stu!

the thing is that I'am trying to buy it at shipsim.com, but after introducing the card number, name... in a ship simulator page, a strange white page appeared without any relation with shipsim site asking for the PIN code. thats because I worried. I could be a fair page which is in charge of the card payments from Spain for the shipsim site... I'll investigate :D :D

thank you again

Smiffa

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2007, 13:16:54 »

I believe this is a new(ish) initiative from the card companies that indeed does try to verify the transaction through the use of a PIN-like code.  More here:

http://www.visaeurope.com/personal/onlineshopping/verifiedbyvisa/main.jsp
http://www.mastercard.com/us/personal/en/cardholderservices/securecode/index.html

Although the links are US sites, this does also seem to apply to the UK as I've seen it myself when making purchases.  However, if you are unsure at all, then the usual stuff applies to buying online, checking the URL, checking with the merchant.  I should think that VSTEP should be able to confirm or deny that their electronic sales people (whether in-house or contracted out) use this method.

Cheers,

- Smiffa

Al Bundy

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2007, 14:25:34 »

This looks like some additional security. They are talking about a Secure Code, and not the PIN number.
Never ever give out your PIN number to anyone. Only Cash machines and when you pay online in a store is it safe.

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2007, 15:08:18 »

This looks like some additional security. They are talking about a Secure Code, and not the PIN number.
Never ever give out your PIN number to anyone. Only Cash machines and when you pay online in a store is it safe.

You are wrong. NEVER give your pin out to anyone - especially online. The only place where it is safe to use your pin is at cash machines and in store with PIN machines. To make purchases online all you need to give is your card number, card start and expiry date, card holders name and the 3 digit security code found on the back of your card. This is it. If a website asks for your pin then immediately close your browser window.

Always ensure you are on a secure site (check your address bar for a padlock) and make sure the company you are paying has an address if something goes wrong.
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

Parsec

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2007, 16:00:47 »

To make purchases online all you need to give is your card number, card start and expiry date, card holders name and the 3 digit security code found on the back of your card. This is it.

No, it isn't. Verified by VISA is real. I must use it all the time when shopping online. It opens up your "Internet bank" (normally supplied by the bank where your account resides) and you need to use a "safety pass" card to write in a security number and a personal password. If that goes OK, you're good to go and the money transfer is being done.

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2007, 16:26:14 »

No, it isn't. Verified by VISA is real. I must use it all the time when shopping online. It opens up your "Internet bank" (normally supplied by the bank where your account resides) and you need to use a "safety pass" card to write in a security number and a personal password. If that goes OK, you're good to go and the money transfer is being done.

I'm not entirely sure what exactly you mean here although I just remembered that when I buy stuff from ebuyer I have to enter my security word before the payment is taken. This is the only other thing that you have to enter in order to make a purchase.

No business should EVER ask you for a pin. Your pin is used for cash machines and in store purchase only.
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

Al Bundy

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2007, 18:07:22 »

You are wrong. NEVER give your pin out to anyone - especially online.

Ah yes I can see where I went wrong. What I meant was a physical store, not online one. A store that has these card readers, often attached to the register. That is what I meant with online. Sry for the confusion  :-[

AlexKall

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2007, 18:20:22 »

You are wrong. NEVER give your pin out to anyone - especially online. The only place where it is safe to use your pin is at cash machines and in store with PIN machines. To make purchases online all you need to give is your card number, card start and expiry date, card holders name and the 3 digit security code found on the back of your card. This is it. If a website asks for your pin then immediately close your browser window.

Always ensure you are on a secure site (check your address bar for a padlock) and make sure the company you are paying has an address if something goes wrong.

ATM's arn't always safe either, never trust anyone or anything! Many have been tricked by ATM's that has been altered.  ;)
[MPSS]AlexKall

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2007, 18:24:26 »

Ah yes I can see where I went wrong. What I meant was a physical store, not online one. A store that has these card readers, often attached to the register. That is what I meant with online. Sry for the confusion  :-[

Ohh I see now, I thought you meant online  :D

Sorry for the confusion there  :)

ATM's arn't always safe either, never trust anyone or anything! Many have been tricked by ATM's that has been altered.   ;)

Yes I agree too, but usually they are safe around most areas. Places such as London may have a higher risk of fraudulent activity. However, like AlexKall said, always keep your wits about you. He is dead right!

Wetwarev7

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2007, 14:18:39 »

Personally, I don't even use my pin number in a store. I allways tell them to run it like a credit card, and even though it says 'Debit Card' in big bold letters, it goes through fine.

Heh...I don't even know what my pin number is anymore...
There are 10 kinds of people. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

mark

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2007, 14:40:02 »

I believe this is a new(ish) initiative from the card companies that indeed does try to verify the transaction through the use of a PIN-like code.  More here:

http://www.visaeurope.com/personal/onlineshopping/verifiedbyvisa/main.jsp
http://www.mastercard.com/us/personal/en/cardholderservices/securecode/index.html

Although the links are US sites, this does also seem to apply to the UK as I've seen it myself when making purchases.  However, if you are unsure at all, then the usual stuff applies to buying online, checking the URL, checking with the merchant.  I should think that VSTEP should be able to confirm or deny that their electronic sales people (whether in-house or contracted out) use this method.

Cheers,

- Smiffa

I can confirm that we use both these methods for Visa and Mastercard payments.
It is quite normal that a creditcard also has a PIN code. If a PIN code is provided for the used card number, it will ask for it.

Please note that all payments are processed by Neos Solutions and that VSTEP does not store any payment related information in their system. If the website you are redirected to is not https://www.shipsim.com or https://secure.neos-solution.com then please report this to info@shipsim.com or use the contact form on our website.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2007, 22:37:29 »

Thanks Mark

Just for anyones interest. I've signed up to verified by visa and had the same thing. A while back my neighbour came to see me in a pannick about one of these- I'd never seen it before then and equally was concerned (when phoning the bank, they didn't know either...)

I'm told by my bank that it is becoming compulsory for all online transactions over the next year or 3.

Stu

Al Bundy

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2007, 23:43:18 »

I can confirm that we use both these methods for Visa and Mastercard payments.
It is quite normal that a creditcard also has a PIN code. If a PIN code is provided for the used card number, it will ask for it.

Just to make it clear: It is NOT the pin number you use to withdraw money from an ATM. It is a password you have chosen when signing up to the Verified by Visa.

http://www.visaeurope.com/personal/onlineshopping/verifiedbyvisa/howitworks.jsp

I don't know what will happen if you are in a country that is not in the program like Denmark. Will the transaction bounce?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines