Hello Guest April 19, 2024, 05:10:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ship Sim 08 Editor troubles  (Read 2423 times)

jammydodger

• Forum member
Ship Sim 08 Editor troubles
« on: May 08, 2010, 11:45:06 »

Hello guys,
I'm experiencing lots of trouble with my SS08 editor.
A couple of days ago, I made a mission in the editor. I saved it. Everything appeared to be fine.
However, when I went to open up the mission to have another look at it, I wondered why it wasn't in the list of existing missions.... so I opened up My Documents and went into the missions folder, and there WAS a file with the correct name - but it was literally, a .file - it had NO extention and was 0KB. I tried putting .xml on the end of the name, opened it up for xml editing and there was nothing.
Then the next day, I opened the editor up again, and it closed on getting to the loading screen.
Ummm.... help!
Back at last. Extremes all the way!

mvsmith

Re: Ship Sim 08 Editor troubles
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 13:32:35 »

Hi jammydodger,

Attempting to open a mission .xml in an XML editor will usually corrupt it to the point where it can crash the ME when it tries to open it.

Simply adding an xml extension to a file does not make it an xml file.

You should delete all corrupted files from the Custom missions folder.

If you continue to have trouble with the ME, I suggest re-installing SS2008.
Follow all of the cautions in the Mission Editor tutorial about making changes to missions to avoid producing corrupted xml files.

The place to ask about using the Mission Editor is on the Development corner > Mission Creation board.

Regards,
Marty

jammydodger

• Forum member
Re: Ship Sim 08 Editor troubles
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 19:11:45 »

Thanks for your help
BTW when I said "The next day, I opened up the editor again" I meant just the editor itself, I hadn't pressed any buttons like load etc.
Back at last. Extremes all the way!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines