Hello Guest September 19, 2024, 22:59:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Squat, Interaction, & Current, Hog And Sag  (Read 1668 times)

saralouise

• Forum member
Squat, Interaction, & Current, Hog And Sag
« on: March 16, 2010, 10:11:14 »

Squat Interaction & Current, now being an Engineer these are not my areas of speciality, merely that they exist and their fundamentals -

ie Squat, travelling over shallow waters will drag the vessel down.
Interaction, a moving vessel moving near another staitonary or moving object will draw closer together, commonly seen near Major ports when someone isnt looking where they're going and narrowly avoiding collision (Seen it before in singapore on more than 1 Occasion).
For those that don't quite understand the physics of this & squat, think aircraft wings, when air flows over the surface of the top of the wing it creates a lower pressure and therfore lift, same with cutting through water & you drag a volume of water alongside the hull causing a low pressure area, to close and it will suck the other vessels together, or suck you down in the case of squat, that's why wooden sailing vessels cambered in as the sides went up, to counteract this when boarding another vessel.

Currents - Self Explanatory.

Hog - Larger Vessels in Ballast condition, yes they do bend, would be bad if they didnt, in this case like an arched bridge.

Sag - Larger Vessels in Loaded Condition, Think like a whale that's had to much to eat, your middle portion sags down.

Understandably all of these are hard to simulate, alot depending on the design of structure and hull, but the squat & Interaction could be simplified as an equation of speed attraction (like a magnet strength increasing to nearby objects) and distance from the vessel to give a basic feel of the effect.

saralouise

• Forum member
Re: Squat, Interaction, & Current, Hog And Sag
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 09:25:21 »

Hi Hi, This Is Actually a feature reuest as they all effect the navigation of a vessel

John Carter

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 21:24:34 »

hi sara, good to see you still around.

i think in general anything that can improve a simulation game is good.

however, i'm not sure if the ship dynamics you describe would have a significant impact on the game as it is today, but as computer specs & software improve, sure it could add to the realism in the future.

i may be wrong, but i can't recall this being talked about before, which is surprising considering the potential impact on real ships.

i'm now taking cover waiting for wm to come along & shoot me down for getting my facts wrong & to provide all the links on the subject ......
Bad Boy BFC

Usernme

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 23:39:20 »

I have trouble foreseeing this to be honest.
at least, hog and sag would require a soft body (like a block of Jello) ship, which if I understand this game well enough, all the ships are hard body (like a steel girder) with damage animations.

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 11:18:50 »

http://80.95.161.114/shipsim/forum/index.php/topic,16166.msg213058.html#msg213058

There is a topic on "Oasis of the Seas" leaving the Baltic under the Store Belt bridge which raised the subject of squat. This post refers to the effect squat had on the grounding of QE2.

Angus.
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines